[World of Wonder] Wonder Woman (1987-) #1-6 & Justice League Dark (2018-) #1

@Jay_Kay: I like them. Julia isn’t the most interesting character, but is at least a likable mentor figure who gives Diana a point of connection to the world outside of superheroics. Vanessa is just annoying enough to be a convincing bratty teenager without being completely intolerable.

@Nathan.Payson: Most of the issues are exactly the same length as modern ones. #1 is just slightly longer because it’s the start of the series.

3 Likes

Where’s the ads? Waaaaaaaaa

2 Likes

@batjamangs but they have more words per page so they take longer.

1 Like

Yeah, Perez and co are no Claremont, but they can be pretty wordy. Luckily it was recent enough when I last read it that I could go “Yeah, I know the jist of what this omniscient narrator is saying, ONWARD!”

2 Likes

Read the first issue! Very unusual start. It goes to show how confident Perez was in his work that Wonder Woman isn’t really important to most of the story. Anyone else who read that would think I have no idea where the story is going so I’m not interested. Perez has a following and people will follow him to the end of the earth!

2 Likes

I have to watch the calendar ‘more better’. I will read the thread more thoroughly once I have read all of the assigned Perez run (at present, 50% complete).

I didn’t like Heracles’ portrayal, but i realize it was necessary. Without his double cross, the Amazons wouldn’t have taken their revenge. Bonus points for the Greek spelling. The grounding in greek mythology was an important step for the character in general. For me, the term Amazon automatically implies said mythos, so as i read, it was like chills up the proverbial spine.

My primary exposure to Wonder Woman is the '77 show. A rewatch some years ago yielded that season 1 still stands up set in WWII. The present day is better enjoyed with a light MST3K vibe. But The Flashing Thunder as the final test calls back to 77’s Bullets And Bracelets. 'Nuff said.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay I feel like Julia served a purpose here, but it’s kind of generic and could have been filled by a slew of characters. That easily could have been Etta. Julia might have a bigger role later, but as of right now she seemed okay. Vanessa was funny, but her role was too small in this arc for me to really care for her. I’m sure she’ll regain her health and be returned to her natural age. I recognize the Kapatelis name, so I do have an inkling we will see more of this character’s personal story play out eventually.

@AntLeon – I will say that this isn’t the last time we see Heracles, and he goes through a bit of a journey, to say the least.

1 Like

@Nathan.Payson Of course! I didn’t realize the issues would be as dense as they are. Comics nowadays seem to have a lot less story going on that these older issues, guess I didn’t factor that in. I’ll definitely cut down on the issues for the next week to give everyone time to catch up. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

@BatJamags LOL, Vanessa is annoying, but in a way that isn’t annoying to me as a reader. I laughed at the part where she cancelled her study session with her boyfriend just to not have him lay eyes on Diana.

@Nathan.Payson I found it very interesting that he was confident enough to have Diana come into the first issue at the end. It paid off, IMO. I think I might have said it earlier, but it reminds me of Man of Steel. In that movie Snyder takes his time setting up all of the Krypton stuff before even getting to Clark and I didn’t mind it.

@AntLeon I have only seen the first two episodes of the '77 Wonder Woman show. Maybe a watch along is needed :slight_smile: I did like the flashing thunder part because I remember reading about the bullets and bracelets part of the tournament in an older comic. It was probably one of William Moulton Marston’s stories.

I do like that they used Heracles instead of the common Hercules spelling. I’m not sure I like the spelling of Hippolyte. The overall story being as deep as it is in Greek myth is great. I enjoyed that aspect a whole lot.

There’s a couple of funny bits about Diana’s costume in this. I liked how both Kapatelis’ ask if she’s part of the Founder’s Day Parade, and of course this little exchange between Steve and Etta.

1 Like

LOL @Jay_Kay that part with Etta made me let out a laugh while I was reading it on my break.

1 Like

AFAIK, it is Hippolyte

1 Like

@Jay_Kay, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he was plagued by madness at the time. On the other hand, the Amazons needed to know what delivering merciless brutality was all about.

1 Like

@AntLeon I really just prefer when her name is spelled as Hippolyta.

2 Likes
  1. Is this your first time reading the George Pérez run?

Yes! I’ve heard nothing but good things and, as of the first six issues, it’s living up to the hype.

1. How familiar are you with Wonder Woman?

I’m familiar with her animated appearances and live action. I’ve read all of the New 52 run and the Rebirth title up to a few issues into the G Willow Wilson run. Read a few older comics from her earlier appearances and crossover events.

1. What parts of this reimagining are your favorite and which characters stood out positively and/or negatively?

I’m enjoying the emphasis on the Greek mythos as well as the bigger role the Amazon’s origin story has played. The gods have been interesting. Seeing their world and what has happened to them as mankind has forgotten them is kind of cool. All of the references to the Greek mythos are awesome.

I’m still not sure how I feel about the Kapatelis family. They’re okay. The setting in Boston is a bit strange as well as the decision to make Steve Trevor so much older than Diana. I don’t like that Wonder Woman was given her name in a similar fashion as Superman.

1. Is Ares a good villain?

Yes and no. His plan was pretty good. His presence in the background was ominous. I think he kind of lost some of his luster when he actually showed up. His monologuing was a bit cheesy. I love his armor. He looks incredible. I wish we could have seen more of his face behind the helmet. The moment where he cried and you get a small glimpse of his face, you get more emoting out of his and he suddenly becomes a way better character. I don’t think he should have been stopped so soon.

1. How do you feel about Wonder Woman being in this team? Is she a good fit?

Getting into Justice League Dark-- I think yes. Wonder Woman is from a magical hidden island with magical creatures and all of her weapons are magic based. She has faced Felix Faust, Circe, etc., which makes her a great fit with the Justice League Dark.

1. Which JLD member is your favorite going into the series?

Wonder Woman. Easily. Other than her, I was excited to see Zatanna.

1. Thoughts on the art in both Wonder Woman '87 and JLD?

The art by Pérez is great. Having the writer do the pencil work keeps the details pretty in check. Like when Diana was bitten by all of the snakes from Deimos, she retained bites after that battle.
The art in JLD by Álvaro Martínez Bueno is great. You can tell in some parts he doesn’t add much detail in the face to save time though. I love how Wonder Woman looks in this book. Swamp Thing with long vine hair looks good. Man-Bat in a bowtie is adorable.

4 Likes

Finished these earlier this AM, so now its Question Time:

1. I’ve read the first two years of Perez’s run, and these inaugural issues are a big, big favorite of mine.

2. I’m exceedingly familiar with Diana. I’ve been a fan of her since I was 6, and love what a wonderful representation of hope and empowerment she is.

3. Favorite part of the re-imagining: the art. It’s awe-inspiring. My favorite character was Diana (natch).

Nothing negative stood out to me in these issues.

1. I love Ares, he’s such a diabolical douche. It’s a real treat when Diana defeats him.

Justice League Dark v2 #1 Questions:

1. I think Diana is a great fit for this team. A character who has her background is perfect for a Justice League that deals with the strange, supernatural and other worldly foes and miscellanea.

She’s the best major addition to the team that wasn’t in the New 52 JLD.

1. Favorite character: Detective Chimp. He’s a wiseass monkey that’s also very smart. Who does it better than him?

2. Thoughts on the art: it’s good. It captures the mood nicely and really puts you into the settings/situations exquisitely well.

Great picks @nu52!

1 Like

Thanks @Vroom

That’s awesome you’re such a big Wondy fan. She really does inspire hope and a sense of empowerment :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting Diana to expand past her usual interactions and this just feels like a natural fit. She herself is not a magic user, but neither are Man-Bat and Detective Chimp. It’s something that makes sense. She’s part of the Trinity, but doesn’t always get treated as such. I feel great with her leading the Justice League Dark.

Detective Chimp’s inheritance of the sword and the tavern fascinates me because I don’t know anything about the Nightmaster.

1 Like