[World of Wonder] THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD: BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN (2018-) #1-6 ✨

Finished this one last night – great story, absolutely loved it.

“How do you feel about the Wonder Woman/Batman relationship depicted in this story and in general?”

In this story, they work great! Batman as the investigator and Diana as the diplomat work very well together, though I feel like once Bruce was brought in, Diana didn’t really have that much else to do.

In general, still enjoy them – I think of the Trinity, Bruce and Diana have the most in common: both are bound to a mission that drives their lives (his war on crime in Gotham and abroad, her’s the unification and peace between Man’s World and Themyskira), and both strong warriors with a perfectionist streak. Some of their best interactions is when they’re sparring together in the Watchtower or wherever.

Of course, there is the romantic element that’s been played with in the past…ultimately I’ve liked stories where they are an item, I think it can work, but it’s certainly not my preferred coupling for either character.

“What are your thoughts on the Celtic/Irish myth? Any previous knowledge of any of it?”

I had zero knowledge of the Celtic lore, so it did take a little bit to understand everything. I was reading this through a digital trade I got a while back, and in the back it includes a glossary of some of the terms, and I honestly wish I knew that before hand or it was in the front, because I would be reading this throughout the days and think “…wait, what’s this again?”

“Which other pantheons/mythological worlds would you like to see Wonder Woman involved in?”

I can hardly think of one that wouldn’t. I understand the mini-series Odyssey of the Amazons has them fighting Norse mythology figures, which sounds awesome. Egyptian would be cool as well.

“Were there any new characters that you’d like to see make future appearances?”

Hmm…of the pantheon characters, honestly, not a lot comes explicitly to mind. If Sharp does do a follow-up with this world, I wouldn’t mind, but none of them I’m itching to see show up elsewhere if that makes sense.

“Typically, how do you feel about a comic being written and drawn by the same person? What did you think of Liam Sharp’s work specifically?”

It can be a mixed bag. Some of my favorite creators are writer/artists who’ve done amazing, seminal work in comics, like Frank Miller, Terry Moore, Darwyn Cooke, Mike Mignola, Jack Kirby. But you also then get guys like Tony Daniel, who’s a great artist, not a great writer; or guys like Johnathan Hickman or Brian Michael Bendis, who are amazing writers, does cool design stuff, but their actual art leaves a bit to be desired. Then there’s guys like Rob Liefeld, who’s…well, Rob Lifeld.

I’m happy to say that Liam Sharp is more in the first camp. While his dialogue is sometimes a little flat, the overall plot is solid, and his sense of storytelling both propells the story along while often designed to make exquite pieces of art on their own. If they got Liam to take over the Wonder Woman book on his own, I certainly wouldn’t object.

2 Likes

Ugh, I feel like a dingus, considering I’ve been rereading and enjoying his run on the book before this week, it feels bad that I talked about creators who write and draw and not mention George Perez.

2 Likes
  1. How do you feel about the Wonder Woman/Batman relationship depicted in this story and in general?

Generally, I love their platonic friendship based on mutual respect. They clearly recognize the talents each other has and will give credit where credit is due. In this story, I felt like we didn’t get enough of them interacting. I did like that their partnership felt natural and that they were able to slip into aiding one another smoothly. Bruce wasn’t depicted as a nonbeliever in the magic stuff like I’ve seen him be before and when Diana says she trusts someone’s word because the lasso was used, Bruce trusts that and doesn’t question it. That was a small moment I really enjoyed between them.

1. What are your thoughts on the Celtic/Irish myth? Any previous knowledge of any of it?

I had very little previous knowledge about any of this lore. It’s obvious that Liam Sharp cares about the mythos and is pretty familiar with the subject at hand. Because I had very little to no knowledge of the Celtic/Irish pantheons, I had some hard time following along. Once I was able to get a better grasp of who these characters were in the context of this miniseries, I was really intrigued. I liked how they were depicted. I liked small moment like using a naturally hollowed out rock to see beyond enchantments. That was neat. I liked how the two feuding lands were never truly attempting to hurt one another and would just do it as a pastime. I also liked that the people were all willing to trap themselves and cut themselves off from the rest of the world so as to keep something really bad locked away. I wonder if that’s something original or part of the lore.

1. Which other pantheons/mythological worlds would you like to see Wonder Woman involved in?

I would be interested in seeing Wonder Woman interact with the Egyptian pantheon for an extended period. The Bana-Mighdall have ties to the Egyptian deities, but I’ve not read any stories that involve them really. I used to watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, The Mummy movies, random shows on the History Channel, etc. and they always fascinated me.

1. Were there any new characters that you’d like to see make future appearances?

I’d like to see Cernunnos come back. Given his death and rebirth, I’d like to see him grow up and join a Teen Titans team :sweat_smile: No, but really, with the ending claiming that this was just Part 1, I want them all to come back for another entry to this story. I feel like we didn’t get enough of the villain, but his design was interesting. I can always go for a fantasy story and an epic, so I say bring them all back.

1. Typically, how do you feel about a comic being written and drawn by the same person? What did you think of Liam Sharp’s work specifically?

It can go many ways depending on the writer/artist. Here, I believe, someone more adept at writing could have helped Liam craft better dialogue. I mostly enjoyed the story from beginning to end, but there were moments where it felt like they could have trimmed some bits and added more useful elements. It could also have used more Wonder Woman/Batman interacting since the premise of the book was sold as them teaming up. It’s great seeing Liam Sharp bring what he’s imagining to life and not relying on someone else to hopefully do his vision justice. You can see that he puts a lot of work into his art. Not once did I think, “That panel isn’t as detailed.” Sometimes he got a little heavy handed with the details (especially the men’s faces). The world he created was gorgeous. It was vast. I could feel like the world was lived in and big, but also finite. I could feel the residents being trapped from just the art.

William Moulton Marston and George Pérez are definitive Wonder Woman writers (WMM being the creator) and I like their work. I didn’t pay much attention to who did the art most of the time before DC Universe, but as I read a plethora of comics on this service, I start to notice that much more. You do take a risk when the writer and artist are one in the same on a project. It does still remain a collaborative work. They still get feedback from editors. A lot of the time editors for comics are also creatives so I guess I’ve come to the conclusion that I am all for a single writer/artist.

All in all, I would read more to this story if they ever came out with more. The villain wasn’t that compelling or the motivations for King Elatha doing what he did. There is enough here that I am left with questions that I want answered. How in the world is Wonder Woman getting back? I suppose time passes much faster. If she were to come back, it’d be hardly any time that passed on Earth. The Gotham connection felt a little too convenient and contrived. I like that Batman’s detective work was showcased and Wonder Woman’s diplomacy. I could go for more of that. The only problem is that whenever Batman is doing his detective work, other characters that are capable of coming to a lot of these conclusions themselves, just stand around not doing much. Wonder Woman’s diplomatic nature can also become boring when all she’s doing is breaking up fights for a few issues straight. It needed some more balance. I honestly wouldn’t mind if the second part (if it happens :crossed_fingers:) focuses more on just Wonder Woman and Tir Na Nóg.

3 Likes

@c02goddess.16092

I really liked that interaction with Steve. We get to see Alfred so why not someone from Wonder Woman’s supporting cast. I like that the Steve scene sets up to the audience that Wonder Woman and Batman are just platonic allies and friends and nothing romantic will happen between them :slight_smile:

I also felt like this was going to be more Wonder Woman heavy with the subject matter of gods coming to her specifically to help them. Narratively, Diana brought in Bruce as support. It wasn’t too bad though. Diana still had the lead in the battles and against the big bad. Honestly, Bruce and Diana could have been in it more.

I’ve yet to read the Conan crossover, but it looks interesting.

You expressed my sentiments exactly regarding the writer/artist combo.

I don’t mind wordiness :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@TheLegndKillerX As did I! It definitely felt like something new and exciting among DC stuff I have been reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BatJamags

I would love another part to this story. This set up the conflict and characters of Tir Na Nóg and now I would just like to go into an action heavy tale where Wonder Woman gets to shine more. At first, I felt like they didn’t do much, but if this is really just part 1 and they do end up doing more, I’m happy with this as having laid the groundwork for the rest of the story. It was still entertaining to me and made me interested in the characters I had no knowledge of whatsoever.

More of Wonder Woman interacting with the New Gods would be great. I loved how they were involved in Wonder Woman’s New 52 run. It makes sense for her to crossover with the Fourth World cast.

LOL, McCool. I can’t un-hear it sounding like McLovin now :joy:

The line work on faces is a bit much at times. I agree that his art is nice and that the plot was solid. It was a good mystery.

1 Like

@msgtv

I did feel like Diana and Bruce had their distinct voices and motivations. They were clearly defined in this story and in character. It felt very much like Wonder Woman and Bruce. I agree that it was stronger when they were apart than when together for some reason.

Sharp’s art really made the world feel real and like it could be part of DC moving forward.

I’m hoping there is more to the story. I wasn’t ready for it to wrap up, which is why that part 1 lettering got me excited. I haven’t heard anything about another part yet.

1 Like

@wjccpamst.1292

That’s awesome!

@Jay_Kay

I really do like the perfectionist streak you mentioned that they share. I like how they’re both driven to do good, but not necessarily in the same way. When they clash, it makes sense. They didn’t clash in this story and were much more like a well oiled machine. They trust each other enough to stay out of each other’s way and let the other work. It’s nice seeing Batman work well with others. I prefer when he’s a good team player as opposed to always being a loner that begrudgingly lends assistance. He was doing it for Gotham, but there weren’t any melodramatic moments.

I gotta disagree about them working as a romantic pairing though :sweat_smile:

Oh gosh, that sucks that you found the added info at the end. There were definitely things I had to reread or look up how to pronounce. At least you have that bonus information in case another part to the story comes out :slight_smile:

I really want to read Odyssey of the Amazons, but I’m hearing (reading) some things about it in the forums where a lot of people didn’t like it :zipper_mouth_face: It looks like an interesting concept and the art looks stunning.

That makes complete sense. Not many of them really could come back narratively without them all coming back. I could see this as a world in DC that gets visited by an assortment of DC characters. That could be fun. It is pretty much a package deal with the characters. You get one, you get the entire lot.

Okay, I didn’t care for his art on Wonder Woman’s Rebirth title when it came out, but I really loved it here. The only thing is sometimes he draws Diana’s head to look like :alien:. Maybe, I should revisit that run at some point. I would not mind him as the next Wonder Woman writer. Yes, the dialogue was a little stiff, but the story was highly enjoyable.The characterizations worked for me. I could see him having a top run of Wonder Woman. His work on the villains felt a bit rushed, but with established villains like Wonder Woman’s rogues gallery or some villains that don’t come with an entire world and cast, he could pull off a great villain, I believe.

How could you!? Forgetting George Pérez? Travesty! LOL. Dawryn Cooke’s art and stories are definitely some of my favorite writer/artist work I’m aware of.

1 Like

Finally finished this one.

DQ:

1. I liked the Wonder Woman and Batman pairing in this story. There wasn’t any romantic mumbo jumbo, it was just two colleagues looking to sort out the situation at hand to the best of their abilities.

When it comes to them being romantic, that’s hit and miss. It worked on Justice League Unlimited, but only because it was minutely focused on and not a heavy duty “our hearts beat as one, now and forever” story element.

Diana and Bruce have certain similarities that can unite them in dedicated love, sure, but I see them as more of a Friends with Benefits pairing most of the time.

1. The Celtic/Irish myth. I’ve some knowledge of it, but not much. I’ve always found Irish culture fascinating, but never engrained myself into studies of it.

2. Other cultures…ancient Egypt could be fun as that’s been of great fascination to me since I was a kid. Wonder Woman and the Egyptian gods could be fodder for interesting stories.

I adore Greek mythology too, but that’s already been extensively applied to Wonder Woman (and how!).

1. No, not really. I enjoyed the characters introduced in this mini-series, but none stood out to me as characters I vehemently want more of.

2. I’m all for comics written and drawn by the same person. This book is a prime example of how great they can be.

Jim Lee’s Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday is another fine example of a writer illustrating their own material. Of course, Lee ended up having help with that as time (and deadlines) went on, but my overall point still stands.

Other examples of writer/artist greatness are John Byrne on Superman and George Perez on Wonder Woman (though, like Jim Lee, he ended up having help as time went on).

What I thought of Liam Sharp: Oh my, his art is BADASS! I loved his work on the Rebirth Wonder Woman series, this mini and The Green Lantern.

I hadn’t heard of Liam Sharp prior to the launch of Rebirth, but ever since then when I see his name on a book, I’m always curious to check it out.

This mini-series is simultaneously one of the best stories of the modern age to feature either Wonder Woman or Batman. Liam Sharp nailed an out of the park hit on this title.

Wonderful pick nu52!

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me that I need to read Divine Right one of these days.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay The Surgeon General recommends a yearly helping of Divine Right :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Vroom Yes! Glad there wasn’t any romantic stuff. I like them as colleagues and friends. Their platonic relationship is nice.

I’m the same with the Celtic/Irish myth. It’s something that sounds interesting, but for some reason or another I don’t delve too much into it. Maybe it’s because the names are hard to keep track of :sweat_smile:

I have to agree with you. Since Rebirth started, this is probably the most memorable story to me aside from her story in Justice League Dark. It’s been far better, IMO, than what I’ve read of Wonder Woman’s solo adventures since the Finch’s took over the book.

Really happy you enjoyed the book and joined us in the conversation :slight_smile:

1 Like