[World of Wonder] THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD: BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN (2018-) #1-6 ✨

Two issues in, find myself in the same place as Jay Kay. Other than the big two (LOTR And GoT) I haven’t read fantasy. It has a different rhythm and seems more word heavy. And nothing happens tomorrow it’s always on the morrow. But I’m enjoying it so far.

1 Like

@AntLeon

Aww, haha, I liked the inclusion of Steve Trevor. I’m impressed Diana need an hour to “prepare” for her mission. :sweat_smile:

I googled Sidhe around issue #3 and boy had I been pronouncing it horribly. I didn’t even realize I was mispronouncing Cernunnos until reading your comment.

I actually think there is a story involving the Amazons and the Norse mythos. I would love to see all of those you mentioned be involved in future stories involving Wonder Woman.

I loved that they were all giants. It was cool seeing the characters tower over Wonder Woman and Batman. They’re usually depicted as tall, but the people of Tir Na Nóg really changed that up.

I do too! I think I’ve been okay with noting the writers. I’ve been noticing the artists more as I’ve been reading more stories on DC Universe. You raise good points. Sometimes having the writer’s vision come through their art can be great, but their is something great about a perfectly balanced collaboration.

1 Like

@msgtv You know, I usually find it annoying when things will get done “tomorrow” in stories, but I didn’t mind it here. I think because it was more about the mystery and what happened, I let it slide. As long as we were getting closer to solving the mystery, I was enjoying the story.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I’m going to be at Disneyland this weekend. I probably won’t be able to post my thoughts on the overall story because it’s kind of difficult to do so through the phone app. It’s a lot of text and hard to edit. I’ll still try to respond to everyone that comments. Keep sharing your thoughts, questions for other users, favorite moments, etc. Keep the discussion going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lucky! Always wanted to go to Disneyland. Also, you can always finish the questions when you get back, I don’t think anyone would mind.

Have a good time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally will Jay_Kay! I meant to add that I’d most likely do my write-up on Tuesday.

1 Like

I’m about halfway through. So far, the plot’s mildly interesting and I’m parsing out the Irish mythological stuff as I go. It’s just a massive wall of exposition. Some of the dialogue is also a tad stilted. Not terrible, but it reads like something out of the late '80s, ironically enough given that this is our first step away from that time period in this book club.

I think there’s a good chance it’ll pick up in the second half, but the first half could’ve stood to have been edited down a little. One issue would run into the same problem as Wonder Woman #52, but two issues might’ve been smoother than three. It’s weird, because I feel like we’ve learned a lot and gotten a feel for the setting, but not much has actually happened plotwise. The king is dead, Wonder Woman is keeping the peace, people are in a trance in Gotham, and Batman is there to investigate. Setup, but no progress.

On another note: Have fun at Disneyland!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is Liam Sharp’s first published work as a writer, so that might explain some of the stilted dialogue and such.

3 Likes

@nu52 I liked the Steve inclusion too! It was nice seeing Diana in a relaxed and happy bit of ‘normalcy’ before being swept off to a Celtic fantasy.

1. How do you feel about the Wonder Woman/Batman relationship depicted in this story and in general?

I liked the respect they had for each other. I expect Diana to have more of the lead than she did on some of the adventures and interactions, so that surprised me a bit. I’m not exactly sure why that was my expectation with Batman present, but the mythology aspect and first cover just really felt Wonder Woman-y to me (even though there’s a giant bat head on the cover, lol).

1. What are your thoughts on the Celtic/Irish myth? Any previous knowledge of any of it?

I know some and I’m a big fan of mythology and fantasy in general. I liked the world building, but I did feel like these issues were a bit too much on the wordy side, which slowed the storytelling flow for me.

1. Which other pantheons/mythological worlds would you like to see Wonder Woman involved in?

Norse and Egyptian or even more crossovers, like the Conan one

1. Were there any new characters that you’d like to see make future appearances?

Not specifically, but I would like to have the world/realm as a whole revisited in future adventures

1. Typically, how do you feel about a comic being written and drawn by the same person? What did you think of Liam Sharp’s work specifically?

In practice I don’t think I have a preference, since there are so many great collaborations - most of which I don’t really notice, if I’m enjoying the story and art… I’ve started to try to pay more attention recently. I think it really depends on the creator. Theoretically, a single creator will have a clearer vision, which can be truly great, but sometimes a collaboration can ignite a spark that elevates the original concept.

1 Like

Oops, forgot the second part of #5. I think Liam Sharp’s style lent itself to the fantastical and mythological vibe the book needed. As mentioned earlier, I think this story was a bit too wordy, which kind of created a distance or story telling veneer; however, I don’t know if that was an intended style or just a consequence of diving into another world in relatively little space.

1 Like

I read this a while back. It is a fun story and I had a good time reading

1 Like

@Jay_Kay: Holy crap, really? From an inexperienced writer, this is really good then. Speaking of which…

1: Well, honestly, they barely interact here. There’s certainly room for an interesting dynamic given Batman’s obsession with obfuscation and Wonder Woman’s role as a champion of truth, but There’s not really much I have to say about their interactions in practice.

2: I didn’t have much knowledge at all, but this laid things out fairly comprehensibly. It’s reasonably interesting, though it kind of drags focus away from the title characters. Aside from Batman solving Elatha’s “murder” and Wonder Woman taking down Balor, the two don’t actually do much.

3: Honestly, part of me kind of wants to see her interact with the New Gods more, but that doesn’t quite satisfy the question. Maybe something based on an Eastern religion like Hinduism or Shinto?

4: Man, I’d just like to see more of McCool’s name.

5: There does tend to be some added synergy with writer/artist solo talent. Perez’s run demonstrates that. And honestly, I really liked Sharp’s art. A little heavy on the linework for my taste, but very nice-looking. Like I said before, his dialogue sometimes needs work, but the plot was solid. All in all, he did a really good job, especially for new talent.

So… I have mixed feelings. There are some really good parts here, but I feel like it didn’t do much with the title characters, who are obviously supposed to be the main draw. I think Sharp wanted to write original fiction, and I think it would be good original fiction if he did, but it’s maybe not such a great Batman and Wonder Woman story.

1 Like

@AntLeon: Great minds think alike on #3 there.

1 Like

When you said it like that, I decided to look it up, and I was wrong – he’s mostly done art, but he’s done some writing since the 70s, doing stories in the likes of Heavy Metal, Death’s Head, and Vamperella, as well as some original series. Not long before this he also wrote stories for the Love is Love anthology in memorial for victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting, and for the Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special.

So… needless to say, I ought to remember to look things up first before I make claims like that. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

why thank you, BatJamags.

I completely forgot about the Egyptian pantheon! and on that note, Babylonian/Persian.

@nu52 have fun!

I wasn’t so put off by all those words. With my lack of Celtic lore, i had to rely on dialog and narration to tell/infer character motivations and how things work in their realm. it took me a while to realize the narrator was Elatha.

And since i’m caught up, i am likely to read ahead on Perez’s run. evilGrin

1 Like

Loving everyone’s thoughts! I’ve read them all and will respond when I can.

I also was struggling trying to guess who the narrator was until like the panel before they revealed it was Elatha :joy:

2 Likes

Overall, I really enjoyed this series, it thought it a little uneven. I thought Sharp did well in presenting Diana and Bats, but not so much when they were together. Then WW seems to largely follow along. I also enjoyed the humor elements particularly in the middle two issues.
Sharps artwork was perfect for this story and deserving of a second look. Also, liked the dive into Irish lore since I know nothing about it. Diana should interact with more pantheons. During Simone’s run she goes out looking for more, I remember a Polynesian god. Would definitely like more cultures brought in.

1 Like

Final thought. I enjoyed this enough that when I saw End of Book 1 at the end I was happy. Maybe we get more of this story.

1 Like

I’ve read the series in comic format (I bought the series shortly after it came out). It certainly has an interesting Irish heritage spin on it.

1 Like

I’ve read the series in comic format (I bought the series shortly after it came out). It certainly has an interesting Irish heritage spin on it.

1 Like