[World of Bats] Robins

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Bookclub!

First off, for anyone who celebrates, happy Easter weekend! :slight_smile:

Now, as for this week’s reading – with the release of the Round Robin '22 winner Superboy: Man of Tomorrow on Tuesday, I thought it would be fun to look at the first winner of the Round Robin competition, ironically named Robins, written by Tim Seeley and drawn by Baldemar Rivas.

The five heroes to have donned the Robin cape and mask find themselves at a crossroads in their lives. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne come together to discuss the big thing that binds them: Was being Robin, and Batman’s sidekick, the best choice they could’ve made? But before they can get to the heart of the matter, they’re ambushed by an unknown assailant with a bone to pick with them. She claims to have been the first Robin, and she’s out to prove Batman should’ve never trained any of them.

Here are the issues:

Robins #1
Robins #2
Robins #3
Robins #4
Robins #5
Robins #6

And here’s the digital trade for those with Ultra membership:

Reading will go from 2023-04-08T05:00:00Z2023-04-14T05:00:00Z, but if you’re trapped in a “what could have been” situation, you can always come back later!

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :0_round_robin: :batparrot: :0_round_robin:

4 Likes

And if you’re looking for more books to read to avoid some relatives this Easter weekend – it’s okay, we’ve all been there – here’s some other books from other like-minded clubs!

Over at The Batfam, they’re looking at the origins of the very first Huntress, Helena Wayne of Earth 2!

4 Likes

This is an interesting read. Though seeing all the Robins together makes me question the time-line. Batman doesn’t appear to be that old and yet he’s trained up to 5 protégés. He can’t have worked with any one of them for very long.

I think the story is fun and I kind of liked the exploration of what each of them would have been without Batman. Jenny Wren seems to be lacking something as a villain. I just don’t find her menacing or compelling for much of the run

1 Like

I try really hard not to question the time-line. That way only lies madness. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I feel like they kind of took too long to really get her secret origin to really make her more compelling. There’s potential to her, though, and I wouldn’t inherently mind her coming back in a future story.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, they took a long time to finally dig into Jenny Wren. I wonder if part of it was that they had so many characters to serve with a pretty short arc.

They also had to show that the Robins learned the ultimate lesson: that the real gauntlet was the friends they made along the way

1 Like