[World of Bats] KnightQuest Continues!

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be going back to the world of the 90s and the epic that was Knightfall! We’ll be reading these issues from the two tracks of the KnightQuest storyline, The Crusade and The Search (and they say comic books are too complicated! :sweat_smile:). Specifically we’ll be reading issues from Batman, Detective Comics and Shadow of the Bat, written by Doug Moench, Chuck Dixon and Alan Grant, with art by Mike Manley, Graham Nolan, Barry Kitson, and Brett Blevins.

Jean Paul Valley, the new Batman, encounters new foes and clashes with old allies in his mission to be a better Dark Knight than his predecessor. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth travel to London on their mission to save the kidnapped Jack Drake and Shondra Kinsolving!

Batman #501
Batman #502

Detective Comics #669
Detective Comics #670

Batman: Shadows of the Bat #21
Batman: Shadows of the Bat #22
Batman: Shadows of the Bat #23

Reading will go from 2022-07-30T05:00:00Z2022-08-05T05:00:00Z, but if you’re being held up at the bank by a group of rootin’-tootin’-shootin’ cowboys, you can always come back later. Yee-haw! :cowboy_hat_face:

Looking forward to reading these issues with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

2 Likes

Jean-Paul’s story here is full of action and certainly keeps me entertained, but something about it doesn’t click for me. I don’t like his character partly because of his apparent lack of regard for civilians; his witnessing a mugging and doing nothing about it is definitely not Batman like behavior and the way he cut it so close on the train tracks also rubbed me the wrong way. That’s before we even mention that the World’s Greatest Detective isn’t interested in detective work :man_facepalming:

I can’t wait for Bruce to get back and set things right. Jean-Paul seems to have fallen in with some of the 90’s worst trends, everything has to be X-treme

Bruce’s story, on the other hand, scratches that classic Batman itch. We see him in a disguise, doing detective work, being sad in a cemetery, and we get Alfred being Alfred. Grant does a great job nailing that Batman tone even though Batman is barely in his cape and cowl.

2 Likes

See, my problem with these issues is that he isn’t extreme enough. He’s often less extreme than Bruce was in the 1980s. I was hoping for a stronger contrast between the two characters, and all I get is a Batman who has as much contempt for Tim Drake as I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes