[World of Bats] Harleen / Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week is the final week of our focus on Harley Quinn for her 30th anniversary, so we’ll go out with a bang by covering two of her recent, well renowned books from DC’s Black Label!

First we’ll be looking at Harleen, written and drawn by Stjepan Sejic:

A young psychiatrist with a potential cure for the madness that haunts Gotham City, Dr. Harleen Quinzel must prove her revolutionary theory to a skeptical establishment by delving into the disturbed minds of Arkham Asylum’s deadliest inmates. But the more time she spends with the criminally insane subjects, the closer she is drawn to one patient in particular–and the further she falls away from reality.

LINKS:

Next, we’ll be looking at Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey, written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, with art by Conner.

Harley Quinn has avoided Gotham City ever since she broke up with the Joker and found a home and a kind of family in Coney Island. But when she gets an offer she can’t refuse, she has no choice but to slip back into the city as quietly as she can, hoping to be gone before anyone–especially her ex–learns she’s there to steal Joker’s legendary cache of loot. But for Harley, "as quietly as she can is plenty loud…and before she can say “Holee bounty hunters, Batman,” the Joker’s sicced every super-villain in the city on her pretty ombre head–and the only people tough enough (or crazy enough) to come to her defense are Black Canary, Huntress, Renee Montoya, and Cassandra Cain: the Birds of Prey!

LINKS:

Note: These are all books from DC’s Black Label line and thus have all the makings of R-rated movies – harsher language, more violence, stronger hints of sexy-times, all that good stuff, so if you need an adult or are reading these on a bus or in a breakroom at work, be advised.

Reading will last from 2022-09-24T05:00:00Z2022-09-30T05:00:00Z, but if you’re stuck on an isolated island with no food and a REALLY mad lover, you can always come back later!

Looking forward to talking about these books with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

7 Likes

Looking forward to reading these. As I recall, Conner did a great job writing Harley when she was paired up with Powergirl. I don’t know much about Harleen, but an in depth look at her being corrupted could be fascinating

4 Likes

Harleen was excellent. Not what I’d call a fun read, but I liked the storytelling and the art. It was one of those that I thought was gripping even though I knew, broadly, where the story was going to end up.

Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey was highly entertaining. Largely on the opposite end of the seriousness scale, it was funny and raunchy but had a relatively touching story at it’s heart.

Black Label shines in both of these books

2 Likes