[World of Bats] Batman Manga SPOTLIGHT!

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

So National Manga Day was…yesterday, but still, might be fun to check out some of the stories where our Dark Kngiht has been interpreted by some great mangakas from Japan!

So we’ll be looking at two different series from DC’s recent collaboration with Kodansha, starting with Batman: Justice Buster, by Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguchi, with translations by Sheldon Drzka.

Gotham City has been under the protection of Batman for only a short amount of time, but since the vigilante’s appearance, crime has changed. It’s gotten more bold, more destructive. As Batman tries to rise up to meet these new threats, he develops a computer system, ROBIN, to help him analyze and subdue the rising criminal tide and hopefully one day put an end to crime in Gotham. But will its solution be one Batman can execute?

ISSUES:

Batman: Justice Buster #1
Batman: Justice Buster #2
Batman: Justice Buster #3
Batman: Justice Buster #4
Batman: Justice Buster #5
Batman: Justice Buster #6

Then, we’ll be looking at Joker: One Operation Joker, written by Satoshi Miyagawa, with art by Keisuke Gotou, and translations by Sheldon Drzka.

The Joker like you’ve never seen him before…as a single father?! After a fateful encounter with Batman that results in the Dark Knight de-aging to a baby, Joker takes it upon himself to raise the child into the crusader of justice! But does the Clown Prince of Crime really understand what it means to be Batman-or, more importantly, what it means to raise a baby all by yourself? Everyone needs a babysitter who makes them laugh, right?

ISSUES:

Joker: One Operation Joker #1
Joker: One Operation Joker #2
Joker: One Operation Joker #3
Joker: One Operation Joker #4
Joker: One Operation Joker #5
Joker: One Operation Joker #6
Joker: One Operation Joker #7

And you know what? Just to really mix things up and read something different, we’ll also look Superman Vs Meshi #4, written by Satoshi Miyagawa, with art by Kai Kitago, and translations by Sheldon Drzka.

(Note, I used the cover for issue #8 instead of #4 because I thought it was funnier)

Batman and Superman go out for lunch, and of course Clark takes him to Japan! Can the Man of Steel convince the billionaire playboy that chain restaurant food is good if not better than what’s in Gotham?

Superman Vs Meshi #4

Reading will last from 2024-03-16T05:00:00Z2024-03-30T05:00:00Z, but if you’ve been suddenly isakai’ed into a fantastical world, you can always come back and share your thoughts!

Looking forward to discussing these books with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

3 Likes

I have a suspicion that this will be a little bit different than what we normally read. Looking forward to diving in

2 Likes

They definitely can be, espeically that Joker one. Hope you like 'em. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May I recommend the Batman manga series by Jiro Kuwata? I’m reading it on Hoopla and he based it on the 1960s Batman television series since it grew popular in Japan around that time.

Manga was probably developing around that time anyway thanks to Osamu Tezaku pioneering the medium himself.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @vanhalbgott.90920! :wave: I’ll have to look into this series myself.

Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything! :batparrot:

1 Like

Dear Shavera,

Thanks, you can find the Batmanga by Jiro Kuwata on Hoopla if you have a library card.

They have other DC manga too for that matter.

Best regards,
Kyle

1 Like

I enjoyed this taste of Manga. The art style is really kinetic. The use of the backgrounds to enhance the emotions is really fun and the expressiveness of the faces is great. There’s a playfulness, especially in the One Operation Joker and Superman vs Meshi

2 Likes