7 Likes

:smiley:

5 Likes

Did you get the extra bonus question?
BTW, all are real places

5 Likes

I did. One of the names of the bars was just too unique sounding. :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

Directly from 1984 to get us in the mood before DJ Mighty @Mae starts spinnin’ her magic. :smiley:

(Yes- I did indeed wear out both of my Breakin’ and Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo VHS tapes :smile:)

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

6 Likes

not bad, but not as good as I hoped again. I’m only tubular lol

6 Likes

I got five correct. I was born in 81 so :person_shrugging: I am fine being Tubular lol

6 Likes

The 80’s are far from my favorite decade (I only scored 4 on that quiz), but a really cool thing happened in 1984 concerning hardcore punk. Many of the bands and artists associated with the hardcore punk scene of the late 70’s/early 80’s started to explore outside the limitations of the genre and this came to a head in 1984. The year produced an eclectic mix of albums that expanded the definition of punk rock. Though none of these bands achieved much mainstream success, the music they made in 1984 influenced rock bands for the next two decades and helped develop the genres of alt rock, grunge, emo, and pop punk. They did so by combining the conventions of punk with outside genres. I post them now since they’d be mood killers alongside other music from the 80’s :laughing:.

The Replacements utilized country-western to record Let It Be. This song is just beautiful:

Husker Du channeled psychedelia when developing Zen Arcade (a personal favorite of mine):

Double Nickels on the Dime by The Minutemen stretched out across multiple genres including Mexican norteno and polka. Some of you may recognize this one from the TV:

The legendary Black Flag released My War in 1984. The second side of the record contained songs influenced by early heavy metal bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. This had a major influence on the “grunge” bands of the 90’s and the doom metal scene of the early 2000’s:

I’ll end with Killdozer who released Intellectuals Are the Shoeshine Boys of the Ruling Elite in 1984. A word of warning, if you take Killdozer literally, they are off-putting. They would channel what they saw as the toxic masculinity of the American south and mid-west to poke fun at it. If you keep in mind that what they’re saying is meant to be ironic, they are wonderful fun. If you take it at face value, you’ll be turned off. This album was co-produced by Butch Vig who would go on to produce Nevermind by Nirvana:

A year later, the DC punk scene would go through their Revolution Summer that would eventually produce groundbreaking and socially conscious bands like Fugazi. The year after that, The Pixies would form in Boston and become a major influence on mainstream alt rock. Midwestern bands like Cap’n Jazz would appear in the late 80’s to start the second wave of emo punk which would, in turn, inspire most of the successful emo bands of the early 2000’s. Nirvana’s Nevermind broke into the mainstream in 1992 and essentially changed mainstream rock forever. If you ask me, most of those things don’t happen without the 1984 albums I mentioned above. So, 1984 was an essential, if not often celebrated, year for punk rock.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

9 Likes

I got three correct, I would have guessed Transformers was before 1984, whereas I know the Turtles were a thing by the 1990s. I’ve also never seen or read 1984.

I may try to make the movie night as I’ve not gotten around to seeing it as of yet, but really don’t want to watch it on my laptop (TV is damaged).

7 Likes

Very cool, prompting me to listen to the replacements for the first time in decades

6 Likes

Thanks! I was heavily into The Replacements in college. I was always slightly surprised that they never made it to a bigger stage since, out of all the bands I mentioned in the above post aside from Nirvana, they had the most potential for mainstream appeal. However, they also engaged in a lot of self-sabotage whenever they had a break. Which… I respect.

5 Likes

Hey, I got tubular! That is so…tubular!

5 Likes

Tubular….

6 Likes

I guess in this case, MTV stands for MaeTV!

5 Likes

8 Likes

Money for Nothing & Chicks :hatched_chick: for Free

6 Likes

@MovieAddict :100: Definitely. The first time I heard it, I was about 4-5, my sis and cousin were playing a bunch of her music, but as soon as that bassline kicked in, I was hooked. :dancer:t2:

Story time: I remember it really clearly because some other things that happened, but what I remember most is that it was a BIG year for me in terms of entertainment. Just a few weeks earlier I had been handed my very first Wonder Woman comic, and not long after I discovered my new favorite TV show (that I was young enough to not realize was a rerun :see_no_evil:) I Love Lucy.

Looking back, the fact that I met Diana, Madonna and Lucy within weeks of each other…kinda says a lot about my personality. :laughing:

Jinx! :stuck_out_tongue: Let’s compare notes. I went overboard planning this, yes. :nerd_face:

This was the best TedTalk I’ve seen in a long time. :pray::purple_heart: Thank you, @TheCosmicMoth!

10 Likes