Wonder Squadron | Book Club 17 | Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed

:wondersquadron1: Princess Diana of Themyscira believes that her 16th birthday will be one of new beginnings-namely, acceptance into the warrior tribe of the Amazons. But her birthday celebrations are cut short when rafts carrying refugees break through the barrier that separates her island home from the outside world. When Diana defies the Amazons to try to bring the outsiders to safety, she finds herself swept away by the stormy sea. Cut off from everything she’s ever known, Diana herself becomes a refugee in an unfamiliar land, and must survive in the world beyond Themyscira for the first time—a world filled with danger and injustice unlike anything she’s ever experienced. With new battles to be fought and new friends to be made, she must redefine what it means to belong, to be an Amazon, and to make a difference.

:open_book: This activity will be running ALL month long (or as long as you need)!

:wondersquadron1: Reading begins: Right now!

:wondersquadron1: Discussion begins: As soon as you‘re ready! Did you enjoy it? Have you read it before? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Do you have a favorite Wonder Woman YA novel? Anything at all about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:wondersquadron2: You can join or learn more about The Wonder Squadron HERE.

12 Likes
7 Likes

Cool! This is one I’ve been meaning to take a look at for a while, glad to have this to finally get me to. :smiley:

5 Likes

Me too :heavy_heart_exclamation: Picked this up not long ago and it sounds really interesting. I’m finishing Bloodspell and Nubia Real One, but this one is next!

7 Likes

Nice! Just so you know, this club has covered Real One before, so when you finish that, I’m sure we’d like to hear your thoughts there! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks! That topic is actually what motivated me to get to it sooner. :smile:

6 Likes

If you’re enjoying Real One you’ll like this one. Both are among the better YA I’ve read from DC.

8 Likes

Welcome back to the community @Alliegator! :partying_face: Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything! :0_wonder_woman:

6 Likes

Thanks! :smile: And welcome back @Alliegator Nice to “meet” you.

6 Likes

Ah I remember this book. It was quite nice, though I wish it had gotten a sequel of some sort.

6 Likes

Just finished this one earlier tonight and I rather liked it. It felt like a strong, different way to bring about a young Diana to Man’s World but in a way that still feels true to the character. Like @nuuninuunani, I would have loved to have seen more of this world and where Diana would have gone next.

6 Likes

I’ve only just started this tonight, but I’m enjoying it quite a bit. Might not have tried it without a push - thanks for the suggestion, @Razzzcat!

8 Likes

This is one of my new favorite DC YA novels. It was a very powerful coming of age story. Diana is relatable in her struggles with growing up, but this story also deals with some very serious topics, like homelessness and refugees. In the process of trying to help she poetically finds herself with no where to call home. It was handled beautifully, and Diana gets a lot of opportunities to display her compassion for humanity, which is all perfectly fitting considering who it’s about. Overall, the reader is reminded that there are people in the world who don’t have a place to call home and that empathy is always the most powerful tool. :heavy_heart_exclamation: :wonderwoman: I’m sayin’ 4.5 out 5.

9 Likes

I agree that I’d have liked a sequel. I decided to try Warbringer next. Found a used copy on…Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Warbringer-DC-Icons/dp/0399549730

7 Likes

I enjoyed Warbringer. Hope you do too! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

7 Likes

@ampersandrews @Zips4tw I’m really happy you both enjoyed this one! :purple_heart: :wondersquadron1: Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.

Also…

200w

9 Likes

An enjoyable and fresh take on Diana’s debut.

7 Likes