Wonder Squad | Book Club 15 | Wonder Woman 77

:wondersquadron2: Greetings, Wonderlings! As you can see, this month we are taking a glorious trip to the 1970s—let’s dive in…

BONUS: Wonder Woman (1971) 194-203

:books: This activity will be running all month long! Read one, read them all—the choice is yours!

:wondersquadron1: Reading begins: Right now!

:wondersquadron1: Discussion begins: Whenever you’re ready! You know the drill: Have you read it before? Which issue was your favorite? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything about the the reading you’d like to discuss—Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:wondersquadron2: You can join or learn more about The Wonder Squadron HERE.

10 Likes

:popcorn: Feel free to join us for this Wonder Woman TV Series WAL later this month:

9 Likes

I’ve read the vintage seventies Wonder Woman, and only the two specials on Wonder Woman 77 so far. If I had to choose a favorite, until I read more, 195. The story and artwork is simply great. It was fun seeing Catwoman later as well.

7 Likes

Great choice! I love classic Catwoman looks. Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you get a chance to read WW77! :green_heart: This will be open through September (technically they never close) so feel free to come back whenever you feel.

6 Likes

Sounds good. After the watch-along it made me want to get to it sooner. :grinning: Thanks!

7 Likes

You’re very welcome! :green_heart: Enjoy! And take your time. :saluting_face:

5 Likes

I’m probably half way late for this, when I was little, I thought Wonder Woman was a cool hero. My favorite part is when she spin changing from Diana to Wonder Woman. :grinning:

:wonderwoman:

7 Likes

Hey @Reaganfan78! I’m diggin’ your new @ handle! :tophat: Getting to watch reruns of this was my reward for practicing my reading (WW comics :wink:) when I was super little, and yes, I always loved that part. Thanks for coming by! And we look forward to your thoughts later. :wondersquadron1: Now here’s a spin, just for you!

7 Likes

That’s a good idea to watch and read them together. Most of the time now I hear Gal when I’m reading Wonder Woman, but I heard Lynda Carter when reading this series. I know the 1970’s were a unique time for the character, but those stories still make for a good read, as well. Enjoyed both.

7 Likes

I haven’t always read with voices, but now I do. I kept watching the television series last week, only I prefer Wonder Woman with an accent. The delivery is different for this right now, but she still has a slight one. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve always acted scenes out in my head when I read (I assumed everyone did this :laughing: but maybe not?). An accent is honestly, probably always how I’ll hear this character— that’s how it’s been for me reading Diana (and all of the Amazons) from the start. Probably because most of my family has accents, plus, given her Mediterranean origin, I guess it just made sense to me for her to have one. :00_wonder_woman_gold: I know that’s not the case for everyone, tho, but me too. :purple_heart:

Side note: I was thrilled when Gal was cast and they didn’t make her change her voice! Just like I thought it was brilliant to cast a burly Hawaiian guy to play :call_me_hand: :00_aquaman_rebirth: Aquaman. And I just like looking at Jason Mamoa—that too. :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

Ps. Speaking of accents and ethnicities: :mexico: Just gonna leave this lovely lady right here, because some… no se que ella es Latina. :dancer:t2:

9 Likes

Nothing wrong with that as long as you enjoy it!

I’m looking forward to the new Aquaman movie. Jason Momoa was what the character needed. Hoping it’s better than The Flash.

7 Likes

First issue WW 77.

Love this Disco Diana

7 Likes

Then you’ll like those vintage ‘71 issues :dancing_women:

6 Likes

I haven’t read Wonder woman 77 before. I liked the 2 to 3 issue storylines of the ones I read. Introducing Minerva as Cheetah was a good one. Then we got to see Solomon Grundy, Psycho and Clayface, I wasn’t expecting those 3 to show up in this series. I think my favorite was taking down the corrupt Senator and Nuclear plant guy and the introduction is Celisa. Is she in more comics? Her character is interesting. I liked the artwork.

7 Likes

Hello @Chain_Twix! Long time, no see! :laughing:

If memory serves, she originated on the TV series and this is her only comic appearance…I think. HCQ would prob know for sure.

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it so far, and the WALs, too! Let us know if you keep reading. We’ll probably be extending this to cover the entire run, so feel free to come back anytime. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

So… I went to that kinky Wonder Woman list and WOW. They are there with Bettie Page.

5 Likes

@Chain_Twix Yes! :00_wonder_woman_gold: Here is another that’s a bit more thorough (that I totally spaced sharing last night): Enjoy!

A Guide to Wonder Woman’s Kinky History

[edit] I should tag @Mae @Jurisdiction since they were a part of this discussion, too.

8 Likes

That is one of the funniest website names ever!

It is difficult to tell exactly what was going on in their relationship(s), but the comics have always seemed to me more fun than depravity. Either way, it is much more entertaining reading than the more bland superhero fare of the time.

As far as the ‘77 comics go, I enjoyed them all but really loved Batman ‘66 and Wonder Woman ‘77 best.

I also read Wonder Woman ‘77 and the Bionic Woman, but it had been so long since I saw the latter show I missed out on most of the references.

6 Likes