[WoB/RR: Event] Batman Eternal (Oct.-Dec.)

Who? :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the article suggestion. Itā€™s nice to peer into the mindsā€™ of the creators sometimes. I like what he wrote about her motivation to help Gotham ( her city) on her own terms and not so much about becoming a drive to become a bat. It definitely translates onto the pages. Iā€™m really looking forward to her development.

3 Likes

Can you have too many cameos? Possibly.
Was it necessary for Bruce to confront Raā€™s, just to hear him say wasnā€™t me didnā€™t do it? Iā€™m not sure what that added to the story. I like this story and am invested (obviously with only four issues left); but the slow drag and drip of information is getting tedious. With so many subplots and side characters iā€™m nervous the ending will be rushed and unsatisfying. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yeah, that one gave me flashbacks to Jeph Loebā€™s Hush.

3 Likes

33-36:

Here we see the climax of the Bard angle of the story, with them using Batmanā€™s own weapons against him and taking Bruceā€™s company away from him. Itā€™s interesting reading this now when Tynion has actually done something somewhat similar with his run on Batman within the past few months. Itā€™s like thereā€™s a part of the people writing him who want to strip Batman of his wealth.

It makes sense in a way ā€“ not only in terms of more modern political thinking (no such thing as an ethical billionaire), but giving Batman infinite resources makes his war on crime feel like itā€™s a bit on easy mode. Itā€™s nice seeing Batman having to keep track of how much of his tools heā€™s using and having to go a little more low-tech.

Itā€™s just a shame that they had to use a fairly recognizable character like Jason Bard for this ā€“ though that may be more because of hindsight of what theyā€™d do with the character later on in Batgirl.

37-40:

Here we start to see more of Selina as the actual Queenpin of Crime. Would have been nice to see more how she was established other than ā€œDaddy made it so,ā€ but seeing her in this position of power is definitely fun. It was also fun to see the Arkham villains like Mister Freeze, Scarecrow, Bane and Poison Ivy butt heads and bicker and scheme against each other. Shame they had to mention the bleh childhood origin of Freeze, but I guess it canā€™t be perfect.

We also start to see what I believe @jenoutmind was talking about with Batmanā€™s tour of meeting villains not previously used to figure out whoā€™s behind it all. I think it works fairly well here, but I can agree that it does sort of feel like padding.

2 Likes

FINAL WEEK! Any final thoughts on Eternal?

In case anyone missed it, I wanted to let the @WorldOfBatsBookClub and @RenegadeRobinsClub know that the former club is currently reading the first arc in James Tynionā€™s Detective Comics Rebirth run. Itā€™s one of the stories that follows up on the events of Batman Eternal and its sequel, so if youā€™ve been enjoying the team dynamic in Eternal, youā€™ll love what Tynion has to offer in 'Tec.

6 Likes

Dang, youā€™re doing a better job advertising the club than I am! :sweat_smile:

#41-44/Batman #28:

I REALLY enjoyed how Harper got her superhero origin here. Yeah, I get that sheā€™s yet another teen sidekick in an already pretty packed Bat-Family, but sheā€™s still very cool (and Iā€™m very glad to see sheā€™s back in the current books).

Art-wise this was also a pretty good round of artists, from Joe Quinonnes to Dustin Nguyen and ACO.

It was pretty interesting reading Batman #28 in relation to Eternal, because while it mostly keeps to what weā€™ve seen, there were little things I noticed that makes me think that plans probably changed from when Snyder originally envisioned Eternal, to what we got on the shelf. For example, Harper talks about the ā€œvirusā€ like it was something far more widespread and biological, not to mention something still going on; whereas in the book she helped defeat the Nanovirus literally just before.

Also, I get the feeling that there was originally going to be a harsher, more violent reason for Selina to turn to being the Queenpin, from the way that Selina talks to Batman. Even in the Eternal issues, she was far more amicable and flirty with Bruce, and of course in the Valentine run of Catwoman, she still had some warm and tender moments with Batman, even though they were on more opposite sides than ever before.

2 Likes

#45-48:

Overallā€¦Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d call these four issues ā€œfillerā€ per se, but I do think it was kind of written as being the sort of ā€œcalm before the storm.ā€

First off, Batwing the Ghost Puncher was one of the most random/hilarious/kinda awesome things Iā€™ve seen done with Luke Fox. But overall it was cool to see him have this unique relationship with Jim Corrigan. Both of them went through some STUFF in Arkham and itā€™s cool to see they bonded over it. Would have been neat if maybe they had Luke show up in the then Gotham By Midnight or maybe JLD.

Speaking of JLD, I wonder if that tree that Milo was looking at in his delusion was meant to be the Tree of Wonder that Snyder or possibly Tynion would later establish in No Justice and Justice League Dark. Maybe it was something that they had in mind before getting those big gigs.

Alsoā€¦is Julia a never-nude? I get she would get creeped out by Hush potentially watching her shower, but I dunno, I would think there would be better ways of showing that scene. Maybe have most of her obscured by the waterfall?

Gripes aside, there were some neat stuff here. Some of the fights the Family were going through was cool, especially Jason fightingā€¦mecha-Bane, I guess? And while it was part of the ā€œtour to disprove villain connectionsā€ thing, I thought Batmanā€™s encounter with Raā€™s al Ghul had some really cool moments.

2 Likes

Wrapped up pretty nicely. Glad I read it. Iā€™m sure it would have had an even better impact if I knew who Lincoln March was, hahaha. But I got the gist. (Super baddie who thinks heā€™s Bats long lost brother, and blames Bruce for all his unhappiness. Not the worst idea; but not exactly original either). How did he kill the Owls? Did he poison them? Did he cut their throats? I couldnā€™t tell. The scene was a little vague.
I canā€™t help but smile when the bat family teams up. It raises the stakes and makes everything more exciting.
Iā€™m not hating the idea of a Jason/Babs duo. In a weird way they both soften the other a bit, bring each one down to a more rational and less emotional level. Plus wouldnā€™t that just chap Dick, if and when he returns, :smiling_imp:
Someone needs to explain to me, why Jason and Vicki get a wrap up scene; but the Pennies are just left at their respective computers without another mention. Rude!
Throughout the series there was some standout art. Iā€™m still dazzled by the full page Penguin. Amazing. And then I think there were some real missed opportunities to show some real talent.

And the final bit with Harper, et alā€¦ well maybe itā€™s an artistic style I just havenā€™t learned to appreciate yet.
All in all Iā€™m glad I stuck it out to the end; and would probably read it again if it came around.

3 Likes

49-52:

Overall a great climax to the story, I thought. Jim dealing with the second or third riot in as many months was cool (love the little Rorschach moment) as was him FINALLY getting out of prison. It was really cool seeing all the Bat-Family working together, I especially loved Harper helping inspire Steph to come back as well as her obvious girl-crush on Batwoman (and who can blame her?).

Part of me kind of wishes that Cluemaster was just the main villain in this whole thing. I guess to a certain extent he was the main mastermind of the whole scheme, but it was obvious from the start he had a higher benefactor, and I suppose Cluemaster wouldnā€™t have been as climactic a battle at the end. Lincoln March wasnā€™t my favorite villain ever to be the main guy, but he works well enough, and this story does give him a bit of a conclusion to his arc, while making him available for someone else to use later.

Series overall:

Overall I really liked this series. I think you can reasonably say that thereā€™s some bloat or parts that just kind of spin the plate for a week, but I think thatā€™s part and parcel for any big weekly series like this. In terms of weeklies, I would say itā€™s definitely far better than Countdown, but I donā€™t know if I would say if itā€™s as good as 52.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a scene from the arcs Court of Owls/Night of the Owls, Snyderā€™s first story in the Batman title during the New 52. We covered those books for the World of Bats earlier this year, if you want to take a look and perhaps share your thoughts after. :slight_smile:

Agreed, the Family aspect of the book I think is what makes this book overall shine.

I meanā€¦I donā€™t hate it, but for me itā€™s one of those things where Iā€™d be wary about who would be the one who does it, yā€™know?

That said, Iā€™m going to be curious about your thoughts on The Three Jokers if/when we get the book on DCUIā€¦

Yeahā€¦not that you mention it, rude! It does make me wonder if maybe one of the creators had something in mind for Bard going forward but it never really came to being until Rebirth.

Agreed ā€“ I think there were some artists that you can kind of tell were put in because they were able to make a deadline and it shows, but I think thatā€™s kind of the cost of having a weekly book. We still got a lot of cool art, from the big guys like Jason Fabok and Dustin Nguyen, to some surprising guys like R.M. Guera and Ian Bertram.

2 Likes