Will Gotham Ever Be Safe?

Will Gotham ever have a time when it doesn’t need heroes? And if so what would it take to makes that happen?

9 Likes

Well, there’s the Gothamtopia style mind control version of peace. :wink:

Or the premise that if Batman leaves then the criminally insane will follow. (Leaving the GCPD with a reasonable amount of normal city crime to deal with, surely including the periodic purging of police corruption.)

Or if Bruce Wayne invests in civil programs instead of waging war with military level investments, including replacing Arkham with a functional mental hospital with actual trained professionals that aren’t criminally insane themselves …

5 Likes

I think there’s others that can answer that question better than I can but I will say one thing I liked about the Flash is that Keaton’s Batman retired because he made Gotham safe and thus fulfilled his purpose and had no reason to be Batman anymore. I thought that was a pretty unique take on a retired Batman.

3 Likes

No

3 Likes

The answer is a no.

4 Likes

I think the corruption in Gotham runs too deep. From police to politicians to villains to secret organizations like the court of owls, how do you remove them all and restructure the city? I suspect it would take more than Gotham’s heroes to truly change Gotham for the better… it might need the JL to systematically change everything for years until they’ve rooted out almost all the evil and corruption so it can be a safer place where heroes aren’t needed anymore

4 Likes

Probably not, no. It’s a city, so even if it wasn’t the most dangerous, it’s still dangerous.

You could get saved by Batman and when you go to thank him a random plastic bag will fly into your face, and when you remove it you see that Bats has dipped out already.

6 Likes

Yes, there’s a whole story dedicated to it being safe in Detective Comics #1000

Of course we’re not going to see it be crime free in the main books cause DC always has to sell another issue but that’s not Batman’s fault.

6 Likes

The only way to make Gotham safe! Of course there won’t be any good citizens left.

8 Likes

Maybe all the citizens with good track records will get an order to evacuate, while the criminals stay.

But would Superman allow the nuke to hit?

5 Likes

Follow up question: would Batman allow the nuke to hit?

6 Likes

Definitely not. Batman cares about Gotham probably a little more than he should.

Follow up question: Would Wonder Woman allow the nuke to hit?

I’m hoping this becomes a chain lol

6 Likes

Would Stargirl allow the nuke to hit?

5 Likes

Stargirl is a very optimistic and hopeful girl, so no

Would The Flash allow the nuke to hit?

5 Likes

Barry would. Wally would not.

Would G’Nort allow the nuke to hit.

6 Likes

No Green Lantern would allow the nuke to hit, not even Gardner. The Corps takes the preservation of life very seriously. :00_lc_green_lantern:

6 Likes

But would Detective Chimp allow the nuke to hit?

5 Likes

I think @TheRealDetectiveChimp can answer that!

5 Likes

Yes

6 Likes

i concur

5 Likes