Why do the DC Animated films ignore Tim Drake?

I like him when he becomes Red Robin, he looks so cool.

Becasue he is not robin, damian is, the problems is tim finding a unique impactful identity, but most of his fans want him to stay as robin for the top billing and promotion it secures

Iā€™m a huge fan of pre-52 Tim Drake. Heā€™s my favorite character, but I think his lock of inclusion comes down to bad timing and a lack of definitive stories. As much as I enjoy Tim, there doesnā€™t seem to be a single Tim Drake story that really made an impact on the DC universe or even the Batman corner of it. As far as timing, it seems the animated series felt Jason was a better contrast to their current crop of characters, so they basically gave us Jason with Timā€™s name. That animated universe continuity stuck around until the early 2000s. At that point, there were no Robin alter egos in popular media. Then Damian came around and became the hot new craze.

There was never really a time for Tim except for The Animated Series, and they went another way.

Iā€™d just like him to get his due in comics. The only good material starring him Iā€™ve seen since New 52 began was Tynionā€™s Detective Comics run, and even then, he was only one of many characters. My boy carried his own comic from 94 to 2011. He deserves a new series.

Heā€™s in all the batman unlimited movies

Tim gets the shaft for the same reason that many other characters from that time period get the shaft, the people currently in charge donā€™t care about him. Thereā€™s also clearly been a decision to really, really push Damien, for reasons Iā€™ve stopped trying to understand (I loathe him). I like Timā€™s Robin a lot, personally, and I wish that we could get some more of Tim instead of more cramming Damien down the fandomā€™s collective throat.

2 Likes

Honestly, Tim doesnā€™t have any place in modern continuity. As far as I know, his New 52 backstory is still canon which is disgusting, and theyā€™ve given him back the old costume with just a the Red Robin name, so he isnā€™t Robin and yet his clothes signify that he is. Nightwing and Red Hood both have drastic costume changes to signify theyā€™ve moved past their time as Batmanā€™s right-hand bird, but Red Robin is still wearing the old costume with no real identity for himself. I could take or leave his old Red Robin costume, but at least it was something that made him his own character. Now heā€™s just a vestigial limb on the body that is the Bat Family. It sucks.

1 Like

I think He was honestly hated by the writers/editorial staff thats why they wanted to kill him off.

My impression is that Damian is very much a Robin in the Naruto sense of things. Naruto specifically dealt with kids raised as warriors.

I was thinking Tim was going to be in Batman:hush but I could be wrong

The thing about Tim Drake isā€¦ heā€™s basically WAS (past tense) the redemption for Robin. Dick ditched it and had a falling out with Bats, Jason was a failure and died. Tim took it and redeemed the brand and showed Robin could work with someone competent behind it. He works well off of Jasonā€™s failure either being dead or Jason as the antagonist Red Hood

Problem is, Jason is back and on somewhat good terms with the Batfamily (recent fallout with Bruce in RHAO, but Jason and Bruce are still on hugging terms) Tim doesnā€™t need to redeem Robin anymore. Dick turned out great, Jason is content, Damian is on the right path more or less. Thereā€™s nothing to ā€œredeemā€ anymore when theyā€™re all fine.

Tim works well with the Young Justice crew (Connor, Bart, Cassie, and Spoiler) but otherwise, his place in the Batfamily has kinda run its course.

1 Like

Interesting take, Montyotho. You might be right about Timā€™s journey as redeeming Robin no longer being needed, but I donā€™t see that as a reason to get rid of the character. Iā€™d like to see him go into a new identity like they with Nightwing and Red Hood. It rather makes sense to me to move on to another identity when you outgrow the role of Robin.

I think thatā€™s where they went wrong with Tim. The Red Robin monicker was too similar to Robin, so he never broke with his new identity. I actually think his original Red Robin costume could have worked, but then they did the New 52 and his costume, backstory, role and character all kind of sucked, and now theyā€™ve given him back his robin costume with the Red Robin identity and he just has no real role right now. In the pre-52, they set him up as a guy who was trying to take out problems before they arrived tracking down and taking out criminal conspiracies. Thatā€™s pretty interesting. Go back to that.

I briefly played with a fan fiction. Never really got past the outlining process, but I was going to go the route of using a bunch of different costumed identities as needed to infiltrate and destroy these kinds of groups. Something like that could work. Just anything to make him stand out now that heā€™s not Robin. Such a waste of a long running character.

2 Likes

The DC fanbase/community loves Damien so itā€™s no wonder that heā€™s become the main focus as Robin in DC stories. Itā€™s all about demand.

Wow still no Tim Drakeā€¦I swear I think they could just drop him inā€¦maybe come back and find Damien as Robin and become upsetā€¦That would make an Amazing story! Come o n DC GET HIM IN THERE!

To echo someoneā€™s comment above, Tim doesnā€™t really have quirk that distinguishes himself from the other Robinā€™s. Heā€™s not charming like Dick, heā€™s not broken and tortured like Jason, and heā€™s not angry and brash like Damien. Tim just exists. He doesnā€™t come from a tragic or overly dramatic backstory, he didnā€™t watch his parents get murdered in front of him, he didnā€™t grow up on the streets, he wasnā€™t trained from birth to be a killing machines. Timā€™s just a really, really smart kid that figured out who Batman was and decided to become Robin.

Woahā€¦As others pointed put he found his Dads body with a Boomerang in his backā€¦He is a better detective than Batman, he went crazy over the loss of Bruceā€¦And he was Conners best friend and had an incredible Bromance the comics world hasnā€™t seen since Batman and Superman started working togetherā€¦there is plenty of stories to tellā€¦

1 Like

Truth of Pisces

I always found Timā€™s appeal to be brain over brawn. He was never a particularly good fighter until One Year Later when he got an upgrade. Even then, he couldnā€™t really go toe-to-toe with any heavies, but he was a little more formidable.

Thatā€™s why if I had control of the character, Iā€™d lean that direction. Make him a guy who does his best work by trying to use his limited resources to maximum effect.

I think this works in the Batman family. Perhaps it makes him less relevant in the DCU as a whole because any member of the Bat Family fills the slot of ā€œunderpowered but worthy because they are smart.ā€

Just a side note, Iā€™d also say Tim is the only Robin with humility.

1 Like

ā€œTim isnā€™t uniqueā€
Wrong.
His dad being around is what made him unique.
He became Robin because he wanted to help Bruce, not because he has a tragic background.

1 Like

He wasnā€™t even in Bad Bloodā˜¹ļø

1 Like

I think Jason gets more ignored because heā€™s not as kid friendly. I think Tim was the Robin used in Batman: Mystery of The Batwoman and they skipped over Jason and jumped straight from Dick to Tim in BTAS/TNBA. Heā€™s had more face time on YJ than Jason. All 4 Robins were in Batman Ninja and Dick, Jason, and Tim were in Gotham By Gaslight.