Who Would Win? Lois Lane vs. Jimmy Olsen

I repeat, Lois has been the damsel in distress more than any other character in the history of fiction. Lit. Er. A. Ly. I’m not being hyperbolic. I mean if anyone ever bothered to keep track, she’d have the record and it wouldn’t be close.

I wasn’t saying she’s the only one. I’m saying someone seeing her as the opposite of a damsel in distress is ironic.

I’m not denying she’s been the damsel in distress plenty of times, but you’re also making a very specific claim which you just admitted you don’t have any proof in backing up. Considering how many other characters have also been kidnapped an exceeding amount of times, you can’t just treat that opinion as an objective fact

1 Like

Quite the discussion @arkhamassassin @rexmanning @ralphsix @Kon-El. The passion for these characters is quite evident. I think we can all agree at the end of the day that it would be nice if we had a pal like Jimmy or could call our gal Lois. :superman_hv_4:

1 Like

Believe it or not, I actually understand why you have that opinion. They do to portray her as tough. And I think that’s a good thing. But it’s easy to go overboard with it.

There has to be a reason why she can beat up people that are stronger than her. Like superpowers, or a magic ring, or she’d devoted her life to training in the fine art of whatever. But Lois doesn’t have that.

Sure…but I don’t buy that Jimmy is stronger than her.

2 Likes

I’m not denying she’s been the damsel in distress plenty of times, but you’re also making a very specific claim which you just admitted you don’t have any proof in backing up. Considering how many other characters have also been kidnapped an exceeding amount of times, you can’t just treat that opinion as an objective fact

Name one person you think has been in danger half as many times as Lois. Any genre, any medium, anything. Anyone. I’ll wait.

I…I literally just did. Several people, in fact

1 Like

And that’s why I’m talking about the differences between men and women. We can reasonably assume that no matter how many morning jogs Lois takes, that Jimmy is stronger. This is statistics.

It’s hard to name a female character that has been represented in as many stories as Lois…but, if we’re talking percentage wise, I’m with @arkhamassassin on this one. And I’ll throw in Jane from “Tarzan and…” .

2 Likes

We absolutely cannot. Your entire argument is based on flawed, out-of-date thinking

2 Likes

I disagree with that assumption as we’ve already agreed that she is represented as being extremely tough, while Jimmy has not. I also don’t think you’re citing actual statistics.

2 Likes

Remember. Suspension of disbelief. I’m that reader that hates seeing the words “kaboom” when a space ship explodes in space.

At the same time Wildfire and Lar Gand are just chilling there in the vacuum of space watching it go boom. Not freezing to death. Propelled by magic flight rings and encased in a containment suit for his anti-energy form.

I can totally accept the second part. :man_shrugging:

Robin and MJ are the best candidates. The rest don’t come close.

Mary Jane… I don’t know of the top of my head, but there has to be at least 2 to 3 times more Superman comics than Spider-Man. That alone makes it highly unlikely that MJ can come close.

Robin has got to be second all time. But he’s gone long stretches without appearing in the books and when he’s got a solo title or in the Titans he’s never in that role. Lois, on the other hand, Not only played that role in thousands of Superman comics but played on in her own book.

This is an interesting debate, but even if I’m wrong on this point (which I’m not) it still doesn’t change my point about the irony of not seeing Lois as a damsel in a distress.

This isn’t about Gender equality, this is about science.

I also literally just said that I understand she’s been a damsel in distress plenty of times, but that doesn’t mean she wouldn’t be able to beat Jimmy in a fight. Hell, that title has applied to Jimmy plenty of times considering how often he gets kidnapped, captured, threatened, etc.

1 Like

I’m talking about bulk numbers. I thought that was pretty clear. :man_shrugging:

And those numbers are?..

1 Like

So you agree with me, that if we were to see Lois beat Jimmy, we would have to suspend our belief?

1 Like

But that’s not the only way, or necessarily the proper way, to view it. Percentage wise, Lois hasn’t been the female in distress you’re using to support your argument.

You were clear, I’m just offering another way to see it.

1 Like

I agree. My damsel in distress comment was addressing a specific comment that someone else made.