Who Would Win? Lois Lane vs. Jimmy Olsen

The average adult male could defeat the average adult female, even if she had taken a self defense class. There are some women who could beat some men, but this is a statistical outlier.

Maybe I’m looking at it too realistically or logically. :man_shrugging:

It’s the same reason why the “Superman vs. Batman” thing drives me crazy. It wouldn’t be close, but people want to contort themselves ten different ways trying to think up a scenario where statistical probabilities are thrown out the window and the near impossible happens. Some people must think it’s more interesting that way, but many times I think it’s just bad writing.

Lois is the daughter of an army general, always putting herself in danger due to her reporting, is constantly targeted due to her relationship w/ Superman and is still going strong. I seriously disagree w/ your logic here, but even taking that out of the equation, both of their character histories completely support the idea that Lois would win in a straight-up fight

3 Likes

Lois is the daughter of an army general

Due respect, this has nothing to do with her being physically tough.

always putting herself in danger due to her reporting, is constantly targeted due to her relationship w/ Superman[…]

And she’s always recused by Superman.

both of their character histories completely support the idea that Lois would win in a straight-up fight

I think Lois is shown as a fearless risk taker, someone who leaps before she looks. She speaks truth to power and is (in the modern age) someone who plays an active (Albeit supporting) role in getting herself out of the danger she puts herself in. But none of this means she is a physically strong or imposing character.

I’m not saying she could take on Batman in a fist fight, but this is Jimmy Olsen we’re talking about here. Sure, he’s gotten all sorts of strange, random powers over the years, but if we’re talking about their comic versions in their default states, Jimmy just isn’t up to the task of taking on most people in hand-to-hand. His wimpiness may give him a lot of his charm, but this isn’t a debate over which character you like more. If your only argument for why Jimmy would win in a fight is that he’s a man and Lois is a woman, that’s just incredibly weak and short-sighted

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I said in my original post that I like Lois more.

This is a slight oversimplification, but yes, this is essentially my argument, and I stand by it. Why?

Because I don’t believe that they have portrayed Jimmy as such an incredibly weak, defenseless wimp that he couldn’t take a woman (who is often drawn like a supermodel) in a fight.

Nor do I believe that they have portrayed Lois as someone who could do anything to an adult male except hurt/distract him long enough for her to run away.

For the record, if they ever showed Lois and Jimmy fighting, I’m sure they would have Lois win. But for me, that would be like Batman holding his own or beating Superman in a fight. That is, a scene divorced from reality, and therefore, pretty frustrating.

Didn’t mean to be a downer on such a fun topic, just slightly surprised to see things so lopsided.

I just read an old issue of Action Comics (intro Checkmate) where Lois is taken hostage by terrorists. Straight up kicks a dude in the dork and flees gunfire. I’ve never witness Jimmy do anything like that.

3 Likes

But that’s my point, she does that a lot. She kicks someone in the genitals and runs. (No shame in that whatsoever) But if she needed to stay and fight this checkmate secret ops terrorist, she’d lose. These examples don’t do much (if anything, in my opinion) prove her physical abilities or combat prowess.

And for the record, are you seriously saying Jimmy couldn’t kick someone in the balls and run? Thanks like the lowest barrier of entry for a physical altercation.

Lois has been shown to be tough on her own right, while Jimmy has been shown to be lucky. It doesn’t work to say she’s always saved by Superman…he had to give Jimmy a watch so he can always save his bacon, Lois he trusts to wing it.

If it helps, just picture Lois kicking Jimmy in the balls first.

2 Likes

Right, because if there’s anything a world full of superpowers, magic, aliens and time travel is known for, it’s being realistic

3 Likes

I was basing it on what I asked my roommate when she saw me reading the issue. She said she would be sobbing if taken by terrorists. She would “just die”.

So it depends on the person I guess. I always thought of Jimmy as a damsel in distress and Lois as a take action kinda gal.

2 Likes

Oh, and also, what does average have to do with anything? These characters aren’t average!

1 Like

A woman being “tough,” however you define it, doesn’t mean she can beat a man in an all out fight.

Rhonda Rousey could beat Jimmy in a fight, but she’s more than tough. She’s very strong and is one of the best female fighters in the world. Lois is neither.

And for what it’s worth, I always assumed Jimmy got the watch because Superman was always keeping an “ear out” for Lois, not necessarily Jimmy.

Um…that would depend on the man. You seem to be saying that a woman could never win over a guy. That’s a fallacy.

Hey, my wife once knocked out a guy with one punch! (Don’t worry…he deserved it).

3 Likes

Right, because if there’s anything a world full of superpowers, magic, aliens and time travel is known for, it’s being realistic

I knew someone would say this. I’m referring to the reality that DC created. One where Superman is a god and Batman isn’t. One where Lois and Jimmy are both regular people who are great at their jobs and have a penchant for getting into trouble with supervillains.

No one in the history of fiction has been the damsel in distress more than Lois Lane. Literally.

These characters are way above average. Elite. Just not as fighters.

Robin, Mary Jane Watson, Scrappy-Doo, April O’Neil, Olive Oyl and especially Princess Peach. Lois hardly has a monopoly over that moniker

1 Like

Dude, I have addressed this multiple times. You even quoted one of those times yourself. That’s why I said the ‘average man versus the average woman.’

Lois and Jimmy are both average to above average in terms of strength and fighting ability. I know some woman can beat some men. I’ve already said as much.

Yes, and I think Lois could take Jimmy. Easily. She’s not as average as you’re making her.

2 Likes