Who Remembers Treasury Editions?

@TravisMorgan. Thank you SO MUCH for starting this conversation. There’s nothing like these big ol’ Treasury Editions! I love ‘em. Been trying to get some time to read mine again.

I remember when these came out in the 70s, and I was just amazed! I tried to be so careful as I cut out and built the dioramas (hey, I was just a young’un back then…young enough to actually use scissors on a comic book!) The diorama of Batman with villains in the signals featuring that AWESOME Jim Aparo art was my favorite!!

I have quite a few and will add some pix later (pix of books…dioramas are long gone). Wish I still had all of them that I used to. Anyone remember the Alex Ross ones that came out a few years ago? They were very nice!

10 Likes

@batmarr I’m so glad you enjoyed them. And welcome to the community. There are great people here and lots of cool subjects. I’ll have more and I look forward to seeing which issues you have. They came out during my childhood and I’m lucky they survived the Great Mom Purge™ when I left my comics behind in the basement. Never ever leave your comics behind! :grinning:

9 Likes

We still weep over the tragedy of the great purge. Mine happened when I was at my first duty station in Korea. No real reason given.

9 Likes

Man, those pages look good

7 Likes

Agree with @msgtv and the back covers are beautiful too. Looking forward to more pics. Great discussion!

5 Likes

…you guys realize Treasury Editions is what Ma-- Mar-- that company that ran Stan’s soapbox called 'em…

Arguably, the Batman-Ra’s Al Ghul collection was my first graphic novel.

7 Likes

@MisfitCMJ Don’t tell anyone, but I have a few of those too. :grinning:

8 Likes

If you bought the digital version than you will have access to it as long as that digital store is around. However, if you did not buy it before the license cut-off you probably won’t be able to buy it digitally unless someone buys the rights and does all of the leg work to get it back on the digital market.

5 Likes

My comic book shop used to have the Superman Vs Ali one behind the counter for years and I would drool at it while my purchases were rung up… I hope whoever has it now is taking good care of it. -C

8 Likes

@thrakaboom C DC released a hardcover edition in 2010 (which I bought off eBay). I got the facsimile edition which is Treasury sized, but there is a smaller deluxe edition. Make sure you get the right edition. The deluxe (smaller) is on Amazon for $16.00.

6 Likes

I bought them all since that reprint of Action #1 came out in 1974. It shocked me at the time how much you got, quality and quantity, with golden age comics for a dime every month.

5 Likes

These are so cool @TravisMorgan &@Don-El etc. I just remembered as I was posting about the chess thing @Don-El. I played when I was little but I don’t remember how to play anymore lol. I’ve been reading comics (still am) but I completely forgot about it til I was texting. @TravisMorgan, those are beautiful!!! I remember the Ali one but most I’d never knew existed. Very cool stuff from all on here.
ps. I’m old too. are the kids still saying cool? I hope so.

5 Likes

@capo-mage I’m not sure what the kids today are saying. I asked @Behemoth about the term “lit” and he did not confirm or deny if I was using it correctly. :grinning:

7 Likes

I have no clue.

5 Likes

HaHa. He’s an old soul. @Behemoth knows what’s up in every era.

6 Likes

It is all kinda rad though.

It’s even gear.

7 Likes

@TravisMorgan very nicely done on the egg cream answer from other thread. Had to comment on it. So came here as I didn’t think it serious enough to bring in the holiest of holies ( the DM :grimacing:). Plus I couldn’t disturb that thread again after u were so rad at avoiding it.

4 Likes

This is my favorite thing about comics. You see some obscure character in some old comic,think jeez I’m the only person alive who even remembers this exists,and then 10 years later here he is in an apparently unrelated comic!

6 Likes

A little bit more of the famous first editions…

screencapture-google-search-2020-03-01-09_54_25

screencapture-google-search-2020-03-01-09_56_20

8 Likes

@TravisMorgan

I agree with your recommendation of “TreasuryCast,” which is, indeed, a fun listen, especially if you like comic book history.

In fact, many of the podcasts on “The Fire And Water Podcast Network” are worth sampling. Several of the podcasts are DC centric and they tend to focus on DC’s Bronze Age and post-Crisis eras.

3 Likes