Who Remembers Treasury Editions?

Well @Behemoth (using my best old man voice) you young whipper snapper, Treasury Editions were huge prestige comics that contained either reprints of classic stories or all brand new stories. They were the graphic novels in the age of bear skins and stone knives.

Look at the beauty of it! A giant $2.00 book in the days of the $0.25-0.35 comic. Art larger than life! Look at the detail of the Neal Adams art. Every tiny line in exquisite detail! What is the value? Priceless!

These were the days of the spinner rack. No comic book stores. If you missed an issue there was no place to buy a back issue. To see Batman larger than life kneeling above Robin wailing in anguish! What is this miracle. You with your DCU and ComiXology with instant access, bah! Graphic novels everywhere! You don’t realize the land of plenty you live in. This was heaven!

14 Likes

Well, we might as well put up a picture of the Batman Treasury Edition.

A beautiful wraparound cover by Neal Adams announcing someone called Ra’s Al Ghul. I may be a heretic, but I view Ra’s as Batman’s true #1 enemy, outclassing the Joker. Ra’s is intelligent, ruthless, and has the means and organization to truly challenge Batman. Joker at this time is more of a clown with a acid squirting flower in his lapel. Ra’s presents a real challenge and he’s freaking hundreds of years old! And he has a really hot daughter who has a thing for Batman. And Ubu the giant with a soap bubble for a chin! How could not love this?

12 Likes

I loved this, idk if it counts.

7 Likes

I remember some of these

The Replicas of Action 1 and Detectibe 27

Superman and Spider Man

Superman versus Muhammad Ali

I think also.a Wizard of Oz adaptation the first comic maybe from Marvel and DC.

Also a Wonder Woman and Superman comic set in World War 2.

8 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 I believe you are correct about the Wizard of Oz being the first joint or “crossover” DC / Marvel production. I don’t have the replica issues, but I do have the Supes & WW with beautiful Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. Coming soon to this thread.

6 Likes

@anon52107441 Good stuff, but I don’t think it ever appeared in Treasury Format.

5 Likes

Ah, bah-(ambush)-humbug.
I hereby demand that it is done. That was my favorite imaginary story. And my least, because the whole computer program p**** me off.

6 Likes

I only have these two now that I can find from DC. I had some JSA one but unfortunately I used it to cover a partial hole in a drawer and I’m afraid it’s gone now…

9 Likes

Why Auntie M I do have that Treasury Edition that both Marvel and DC published jointly I didn’t remember that. thanks everybody

10 Likes

While rummaging for these, I ran into these two " graphic novels" from the eighties; they have a curious Marvel DC connection.

6 Likes

Sam Glanzman wrote and drew these stories of his experience on the USS Stevens, first for DC Comics in several of their war comics of the seventies (which are not here in the library except for one exception I am about to show you all), then in the 80s, he published these two new versions of his experiences in the Navy in World War II with Marvel.

6 Likes

So imagine my surprise and joy when I discovered there is a trace of this here in the DCU Library.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/-/b3b18a29-dcac-41c9-91e6-507577d72d4f

Better still, it’s actually new stuff from Sam about being a sailor.

6 Likes

The second Superman and Spider-Man from 1981. This one is a who’s who of creators from the Bronze Age.

Script by Jim Shooter with special thanks to Marv Wolfman for plot suggestions.

Here it comes, a murders row of artists.

Pencils: John Buscema
Figure Inks: Joe Sinnott

Backgrounds inked by:
Terry Austin
Klaus Janson
Bob McCleod
Al Milgrom
Steve Leialoha
Walt Simonson
Bob Layton
Joe Rubinstein
Bob Wiacek

John Buscema drawing Superman. Not something you see everyday.

Superman and Hulk? What!?

Wonder Woman and Spider-Man!?

Superman and Dr. Doom! Clark Kent and J. Jonah. Jameson!

Maybe all the people who ask me about Superman and Spider-Man together we’re reading Treasury Editions? :grinning:

9 Likes

I’m assuming they aren’t on sale anymore?

4 Likes

@Behemoth Yes, they died out in the mid-80s. But, there are collections that are also out of print, but I’ve picked them up on eBay. Crossovers 1 is from 1991 and Crossovers 2 was 1998. Were you even born then?

If you’re interested There is a Podcast dedicated to Treasury Editions that’s a lot of fun.

9 Likes

No I was not. I was born in 98.

5 Likes

I doubt they will ever be reprinted or make it to digital because DC/Marvel. I worry about some of my digital crossovers like Legion/Star Trek or Batman/Shadow what happens when Dynamite loses the license for the Shadow do the digital versions get rescinded. Remember, they can’t take back paper, and it lasts a long time. My original from 1981 is 39 years old. Older than you whipper snapper. :grinning:

8 Likes

Did you just call me a whopper snapper?

7 Likes

I called you Whipper Snapper, which shows how old I am. How about Youngling or Padawan, does that make me sound hipper, er I mean Lit? :grinning:

7 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m homeschooled. I never use the hip words either. I prefer good ol’ English.

5 Likes