Who Is an Older or More Obscure Character You Wish Would Make a Modern Appearance?

Six-Pack

2 Likes

I always get excited when I see Iron Munro.

4 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870 I don’t recall the Warlord meeting the Challengers. The closest they came is in Crisis on Infinite Earths. They were both on the Monitor’s ship in issue #5 but not in any panels together. Same type of thing in in issue #12 both were in it but not together in any scenes.

6 Likes

They had Rip Hunter, Swamp Thing and Deadman along for the ride in their last arc in 1978. If only they had a few issues more…

lousy Implosion :rage:

7 Likes

I remember the DC Implosion. It was a portent of DC things to come.

4 Likes

Short Answer: All of them. I love it when almost any character makes a comeback.

More specifically… I can start with my boys:

Mighty Boy
Mighty Boy who was like Superboy in reverse. He was sent from Earth and got superpowers on the planet Zumoor. My favorite detail about him is that he ended nuclear war on his planet by throwing all the nukes into the ocean…

SolarBOy
Solar Boy who was like Superboy if he were a sociopath.

Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy who was a Golden Age Quality Comics character who appeared before Superboy… but is still basically exactly like Superboy except he didn’t have adoptive parents to hold him back from running around and doing whatever he wanted… like fishing somewhere in the midwest. Though… I have a fan theory that he may already be back…

Sally Selwyn
Sally Selwyn- The sweetheart Superman forgot.

Sparky
Sparky (aka Spunky), the kid sidekick of the Golden Age Blue Beetle

Queen Desira from Golden Age Wonder Woman stories.

And, of course…

Kamandi

6 Likes

Hacken (from the Hitman comics)

2 Likes

I would also love to see Red Tornado, the golden age version. A single mother who fights crime to keep the city safe for her child when she is not busily working as a grocer to pay the bills.

Vengeance Moth the tech savvy wheelchair bound superhero with the power of MIND MOTHS!

Tigra Tropica the accidental Wonder Woman villainess who runs a rental service, providing trained tiger butlers for anyone with cash to burn
tigra tropica

8 Likes

Thriller

6 Likes

Just raising the dead because I stumbled upon this thread today …

• Trixie Magruder always and forever. I think she’d pair well with Ma Hunkel.
  • Slam Bradley he’s popped up in Rebirth and Future State a couple of times, but deserves more modern page time
  • Joe Public
  • Randu Singh & Harry Matthews Randu apparently popped up for a few issues in last year’s Justice League … guess I ought to catch up!
  • Rose Psychic Doctor Occult is seen alive post-JLD death, so she should be around in modern continuity as well - AFAIK, Mystic U isn’t Prime canon?
  • Sugar & Spike their modern incarnation is awesome and needs to be used more
  • Johnny Lynx
  • Brute & Glob
  • Rama Kushna
  • Sandman (Dr. Garrett Sanford) yes, technically this would require resurrection, time travel, magic, or metascience, but we’ve had … nine crises since 1988, so I’m sure he’s fine.
  • Inza effin’ Nelson
  • Thor (the robot dog)
  • Ramsey Robinson
  • Black Thorn!
  • actual Checkmate operatives (Rooks, Knights, Bishops, etc) would actually love old school characters like Gary Washington and John Reed to crusty old retired ex-operatives that get dragged back in to shenanigans by the modern team that needs to solve some old cold case type thing. Throw an old Dr Bridgette D’Abo in to the mix, too, because everyone loves Peacemaker now.
  • Sandra of the Secret Service … same idea
  • Speed Saunders
  • Bart Regan
  • Jenny Freedom
  • Boy Commandos
  • Newsboy Legion
  • Sandy Kean and the Radio Squad
  • Burden all the characters from The Movement deserve more attention
  • Gabe (Bunker’s boyfriend) Lobdell ended his run with a brief reunion, then Gabe (and Bunker’s sister) vanish from continuity when Will Pfeifer picks up the team, never to be even mentioned in passing again…
  • Josiah Power speaking of Wilkl Pfeifer’s Teen Titans, I think that’s the last time we’ve seen him?
  • Shondra Kinsolving
  • Maya Ducard
  • Aden Day
  • Ariana Dzerchenko now is the perfect time to bring her (awkwardly) back in to Timmy’s life
  • Harold Allnut
  • Maps Mizoguchi
  • Milan
  • Captain Desmo
  • Misty Kilgore
  • Starfire’s children (and any grandchildren, great-grands, etc … no idea how quick their maturity cycle is)
5 Likes
  • The Wierd
  • Bulleteer
  • Human Cannonball (ok I mostly put this one in just because he was the most obscure old school character I could think up… but hey, why not?)
  • Brother Power, The Geek
  • Angel and the Ape
  • Chris King and Vicky Grant of Dial “H” For Hero
  • Superwoman Kristen Wells
  • Gunfire (I know he was brieflyin Heroes in Crisis, but I want more!)
  • Geist
  • Sparx
  • Jamm (The character was wasted as a superhero. If he had become a villain they could have had Killgrave before Killgrave)
  • Ballistic (I like the New Blood… I don’t care if I am the only one!)
  • General Glory
  • Bluejay
  • Triumph
5 Likes

He’s in Gotham City Year One right now!

But what about my actual favorite, Sasha Bordeaux! I’d love to see all of Checkmate coming back. :slight_smile:

You are speaking my language!

She’s a guest character in Batgirls! And was a star in both the Batman backups during Williamson’s run and in the Saved by the Belle Reve short story last summer!

He was in one of the Scooby-Doo Team ups a few years back, with the Birds of Prey.

The Birds of Prey one? :slight_smile:

He was also in Priest’s Deathstroke, and in Batman and Scooby-Doo mysteries last year I believe.

5 Likes

Brother Power and The Birds of Prey in it together… that’s… a choice.

3 Likes

Yup!

They weren’t really connected, just a reason that only Daphne and Velma were hanging out with the Birds!

6 Likes

My vote is for Goody Rickles, the Daily Planet employee who is identical to classic insult comedian Don Rickles and shares his last name, but is in no way related or funny… Or interesting.

I’m not joking though. I refuse to believe Mark Waid hasn’t read the Don Rickles two-parter in the middle of Kirby’s Jimmy Olsen run. Bring back Goody in World’s Finest.

4 Likes

nope, the movie star

7 Likes

Blackhawk and King Faraday.

5 Likes

So many,

• Harold Alnut. I was thrilled when he appeared in all star.

• Athanasia al Ghul. Yeah I know she wasn’t canon but I wish she was and it could be a cool way to explain Damien’s um… you know what, having two versions. Both happened, first was female and Ra’s wouldn’t have that so let’s try again.

• Dr Occult. Cool character.

• Crimson Avenger.

• The Nightshade(s) from Flash. I absolutely love the characters and would love for them to be brought into comics.

• Out of the darkness comes… The Grey Ghost! Is what I would say if he appeared in comics more than once.

• Ace the bat-hound. He’s had a few appearances but I’m getting sick of Titus “diet Ace” the normal dog replacing him.

• Dr Death. Any of the three. They were all great.

• Tarantula I and II. You guys remember the second time Nightwing almost got married right? Some big comic event I can’t remember the name of in Gotham called it off and she was never seen again. (What was that story… Not Many Lanterns or something like that. )

• Mad Dog. Cassandra Cain’s “brother.”

• The Radiant. Guy killed Doomsday before Superman without dying and doesn’t get a solo comic. (Yeah Google that!)

• The wizard who gave Flash his powers. That guy was canon.

I got more but I’ll stop.

4 Likes

But what about LADY Blackhawk! (Yes, I’m still incredibly salty at what Scott Snyder did to her in Metal).

The DC Wiki says King Faraday showed up in Grayson, Bane Conquest, and Suicide Squad Rebirth.

The ONE thing I’m grateful to Snyder about (other than Black Mirror) is him bringing Harold back. I just wish someone else would actually use him. His stories back in Tec 650 and The Batman Chronicles were great!

Gotta love Clancy Johnson :wink:

5 Likes

Merry Pemberton

4 Likes