Who else was disappointed in Hush?

SPOILERS

I really didn’t like how much the story was changed towards the end. Not making Thomas Elliot be Hush. Not having the Jason Todd fake out. Building up Riddler way too much. It was a lesser story. Anyone else have similar thoughts?

14 Likes

Yeah I didn’t like the animated Hush storyline. The comic is leaps and bounds better. I really thought they were going to switch huntress with batwoman. I was also disappointed in the fact that they took so much from the Hush mystery. Was really hoping for a Tim cameo instead of another Damian appearance, but I like Damian so I was fine with that.

1 Like

Also, when Catwoman cuts the line, it is the complete opposite from when she tries to stop him from killing the Joker in the comic.

3 Likes

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: how were they supposed to fit those things into the movie while still retaining all the things they did keep from the original comic arc? The target audience of this film knows who the Riddler is thanks to the character’s decades of mainstream attention, so there’s really no need to set him up in this continuity. Alternatively, they probably don’t know who Jason Todd is unless they happened to see another animated Batman movie from nearly a decade ago that isn’t even in the same continuity as this one, and even if they have seen it, they’ll be asking, “Wait, I thought that Robin was already alive again! Why are they saying that he’s dead?” There was just no way to do it. And to keep Elliot as Hush, they’d have to make room for the necessary flashbacks to Thomas and Bruce’s childhood, which means they’d probably have to cut the Superman fight at the very least.

1 Like

If they wanted to do it well, they would of made the movie 2 hours and 15 min long and fit the whole comic book in word for word, not one fanboy would of complained.

3 Likes

So…excessive voiceover narration, then. There’s no other way you’re getting enough information to a general audience. And yes, I say a general audience because they’re the main target, not the fanboys. If it had been made for the fanboys, it would have been a DC Universe exclusive.

It’s funny lately we have been getting only half of good films the second half of the killing joke was great the first was okay the first half of hush was great the second half was bad

3 Likes

This movie was awesome, I have no idea what your issues were. The movie would have been really boring if everyone knows what the twist is going to be. And the real heart of the story is the Batman/Catwoman romance, which was such a breath of fresh air after the previous trilogy and his tragic romance with Talia basically ending hopefully once and for all. Selina is so much better for him :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that said, I can see where some people might be disappointed just because they really want confirmation of Jason in the DC Animated Movie Universe, but honestly in the last two movies they have done a lot of work to expand the Bat Family so I think they will get there. I’m excited to see how or if they follow up leaving Elliot in the wind like that and I hope that a future film in this series tackles the ethical issues that Batman and Catwoman separate over in this film. Anyway, I understand being frustrated with changes, but I think these were handled well and enabled them to tell a streamlined version of the story that wasn’t overly expository.

@lexcorp Try as I might, I can’t seem to understand how making it a 2+ hour word-for-word adaptation of a story with lots of narration would have been an improvement. :confused:

1 Like

I never read the comic so I had no idea what to expect and I loved it.

Only bad thing is I accidentally saw the spoiler on the forums on who Hush was (it was the first post -_- ).

Otherwise I loved Selena and Bruce finally giving it a go and enjoyed Selena and Dick’s moment. Great twists and Clayface always makes me feel uncomfortable because he’s so dangerous. Smothering, chopping, smashing. Just a nightmare.

At first I was really hoping the villains would get their chance to tear Riddler apart themselves but this ending fit perfectly.

Enjoyed it so much I’m tempted to go purchase the TPB.

1 Like

@Superjupers You absolutely should read it! It is a truly fantastic read. It’s also available here on the DCU app if you want to get started before you buy it. It ran in Batman issues #608-619.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/batman-2010-608/61af5ab3-244d-4560-a50b-f7ff0d82bb8d

1 Like

Literally I just watched Hush and immediately went looking for anybody talking about this. Again I just watched it so I’m not sure I know entirely how to feel about it. I mean overall I did like it, but it was a lot different than I expected. I laughed a lot at the movie, especially Damian’s cameo, but I am a little disappointed they dropped the whole Thomas Elliot storyline. The Riddler twist I think was executed well, but I tuned into this movie expecting to get the Elliot story and I do feel a little chested that that wasn’t what I got. I mean I guess all on its own its a good movie but its left me wanting to see a movie of the original storyline which probably won’t happen now because their not going to make two different ‘Hush’ movies, at least no time soon.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the source material, and the adaptation didn't really improve on it for me.  The story relies heavily on pretending that Batman and Catwoman might get together this time, but I just don't see Batman and Catwoman as being very compatible.  I don't really see her as a Robin Hood type, personally, and I don't know how long I can be expected to endlessly re-watch the same train wreck.  She's motivated primarily by her own self-gratification, and her attraction to Batman largely stems from the fact that him chasing her makes her thefts more exciting.  That's not much to base a relationship on.  
  At least their wasn't as strong an emphasis on Damian as in previous films.  I can't stand him.  He's not always a deal-breaker, especially if there's something that can overwhelm my distaste for him, like my love of Dick and Kory, but he's never a welcome presence for me.
2 Likes

God awful of a comic book adaptation.

3 Likes

Pretty disappointed, man. I was hoping for a literal page for page adaptation but instead we got some serious revisions. I mean, they had the comic to go off of, so there’s no way they could have fouled this up. Right?

It wasn’t a total mess, I guess. We still got the Superman vs Batman fight and the relationship between Bruce and Selina. But man, did they screw up on the reveal. This was supposed to properly introduce HUSH into Batman’s rogues list and establish him as a threat to Bruce.

Can’t win them all I guess. I can only hope that if they do a Kingdom Come flick, that they follow the story page for page.
Fingers crossed

1 Like

Kingdom Come would be much easier to adapt faithfully. It isn’t mired in the continuity of its time, and it’s only four issues long. (Yes, those four issues are much longer than a standard issue, but it still comes out about 100 pages shorter than the collected Hush.)

2 Likes

I liked it better than the source material, but I admit I didn’t really like the print version. I felt like Hush wasn’t a great story to start, and felt the ending was weak when Elliot was built up as the mastermind behind it all only to learn he was more of a puppet. The main reason I still like it is the art (Jim Lee is great). This version took out the part of the story that most people who loved the source wanted to see, but I felt the story was more cohesive for it. That said, it was still an underwhelming addition to the AU.

1 Like

Horribly disappointed, with the last act anyway. I just felt the Riddle twist robbed the story of its original punch. I know the Thomas Elliot thing was predictable but the predictability isn’t what made the story great? 7/10

2 Likes

I was disappointed as well. I thought that it was mostly accurate to the book up until the end where they reveal riddler. I feel that he doesn’t pull it off because he doesn’t have the personal connection to Batman that tommy has.

1 Like

I think they only eat they could have done it so close to the source material would be to do a two parter like Death ol Superman and Reign. There is so much Tommy/Bruce backstory to cover to properly set him up as Hush.

1 Like