Which Latin American and Hispanic DC Characters Do You Love and Why?

I want to be more aware of Latin American and Hispanic characters in DC. If you have favorites or just some you respect and like to read about, tell me about it!

9 Likes

Blue Beetle! I love my Texans!

8 Likes

Myself too as well :smile: :+1:

3 Likes

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is my, being from the lone star state ! :grin: :ok_hand: :+1: :beetle: :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Another vote for Jaime, but I’m also quite fond of Fire from the old Justice League International series.

7 Likes

Ah same! Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) for the win! I wish there were more. If any future comic book writers are out there, we want more representation :smiley:

11 Likes

Jessica Cruz

11 Likes

Jessica Cruz. :slight_smile: I just liked how well developed her character was from the beginning. Also her struggles with anxiety make her very relatable, and showcase how a Green Lantern can overcome fear in a very different way than is usually done.

12 Likes

I’ve never read a Blue Beetle Reyes story. Do you have any recommendations?

3 Likes

Never heard of Fire. What do you like about the character?

2 Likes

So Fire was originally Green Fury (and later Green Flame) before joining the JLI with Icemaiden, when they changed their names to Fire & Ice. She was sort of a big sister to Ice (who was a bit naive) and was very protective of her. It’s been a long time since I read that era, but I feel like she was putting Guy Gardner in his place a lot, which is a plus for me because I never liked that character. Generally, Fire was a tough character who cared about her friends and had cool powers (which are pretty self explanatory) and all of that contributed to my liking her as a young comic reader. Also, as a Canadian I was always intrigued by superheroes who weren’t from the U.S. so a hero from Brazil just seemed very cool.

5 Likes

I don’t personally have one. His rebirth is pretty good and so is his time with the Teen Titans.

3 Likes

Start with Blue Beetle (2006). It’s his first solo series, and the best of the three he’s had. I re-read the first arc a while back and it still holds up.

6 Likes

Can’t forget Rene Montoya and Bane…already got Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes. :ok_hand:

Here’s a started:

7 Likes

Renee Montoya of course. Her in GCPD was

6 Likes

@mrmiracle,

I’ll second the vote for Fire. I first discovered Beatriz in the pages of Infinity, Inc. (issues #34-36), which is where she changed her name to Green Flame (from Green Fury). She was still part of the Global Guardians at the time, as the post-Legends Justice League had not yet been introduced. I was happy to see her become a prominent member of the JLI, although I always wished to see more of the Global Guardians.

On a side note, the original Who’s Who entry for Global Guardians (by the late, great Eduardo Barreto) is fantastic! Who wouldn’t want to read more stories about them?

5 Likes

Here’s an article I wrote about my 20 favorites last September!

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/20-greatest-hispanic-heroes-dc-universe/

7 Likes

I definitely like Fire and Vibe and Renee Montoya and Bane, but I can’t say that I love them as characters.

I do love The Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes, though. He’s amazing.

4 Likes

Jessica Cruz. Showing those with PTSD really are heroes!

6 Likes

Oh wow thank you!

4 Likes