Which Latin American and Hispanic DC Characters Do You Love and Why?

Thanks for the resource!

4 Likes

Was she in an episode or two of Justice League Unlimited or am I just imagining that?

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, Kyle Rayner is half Mexican. Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes are the two that I like who come to mind. I feel like theyā€™re both well written.

5 Likes

Have you seen S2 of Young Justice? I liked the Reach arc better in Jaimeā€™s 2006 run. You can read it on here. I want to say it starts with issue 12.

4 Likes

His 2006-2009 series and 2016-2018 series as well too :grinning: :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Anytime! @HubCityQuestionā€™s article is great too! They all areā€”great local source if you ever need more info on pretty much anything DC. :+1:

5 Likes

For me, itā€™s MĆ”s y Menos. They are underrated speedsters. They show the need for unity and sticking together. They care for each other, each more concerned about the other, it always seemed. They two represented a strong family bond that is at the core of much of Hispanic culture. Plus they were fun, funny, and dare I say it, cute. They really need to get more acknowledgement when folks talk about speedsters.

Aztek slots in at number 2 on my list. I liked how they leaned into that mythology and it was nice to see a non-Greco Roman mythology get some love in comics.

6 Likes

I have! Yeah that would be a great story to read. Thanks for the tip.

4 Likes

Welcome! Itā€™s not too long, if Iā€™m remembering right, so hope you give it a try

3 Likes

Definitely Blue Beetle,

and Fire, but I havenā€™t really read much with her in it, would like to though.

4 Likes

Sadly I donā€™t have any, the biggest one they have now is Cruz and although I love her she doesnā€™t cater to me as a Hispanic because sheā€™s Mexican and I am puertorrican. But I would love to see Vibe in a more prominent role.

3 Likes

Aztek (Nayeli Constant) is latina from Austin, TX! Champion of Quetzalcoatl! DC replaced Uno with her and need to give her some more attention. Another 10-issue miniseries like Morrisonā€™s run would be nice.

4 Likes

Renee Montoya all the way, hands down.

3 Likes

The best Jaime is his
2006 run

That was the run covered in the DC History Club which covered all three Blue Beetles

3 Likes

Besides Jamie

Jessica Cruz especially Green Lanterns 2016 Rebirth

Also
2018 Justice League Odyssey Jessica Cruz From Issue 6 on
By Dan Abnett

3 Likes

Lemme seeā€¦
Bunker. That cool gay purple zorro with the psychic bricks power. Its visually very neat and he seems quite coolies

El Dorado who has a wild collection of superpowers. The usual flying brick set, illusions, teleporting, walking through walls, heat vision, telepathy. Hes based out of Mexico and is the big hero of the region.

El Gaucho the Wonder Woman villain who works for ā€˜The Cartelā€™ an international organization of assassins. He has a flying robot horse, an army of explosive robot rheaā€™s, electrified bolas, and his own lasso~

Marya the giantess. An eight foot tall three hundred pound tank of a woman who lives in the jungle mountains of mexico and served as a doctor only to leave for the states to enroll in Holliday college for a higher education so she could better her home. She had super strength, an uncanny affinity for animals, and was friends with Wonder Woman~!

4 Likes

There is a Mexican Justice League named Justicia! Made their appearance with Superman in Superman Annual Vol 2 #12 and faced the Suicide Squad in Suicide Squad Most Wanted: El Diablo and Amanda Waller #5. Wish they would cameo more or even have a short run!
Justicia_0001

4 Likes

Bane.

Iā€™ve said before a few times why he is one of my favorite characters but it mostly comes down to him being the best challenge to Batman physically and mentally as well as pulling himself up out of the worst situation to become the awesomeness he is.

3 Likes

Just an honorable mentionā€¦ He is considered to be one of Americaā€™s first superheroes. Although he hasnā€™t made a physical appearance in DC Comics, he has been mentioned as the inspiration for many heroes and his movie plays a part in many origins for the Dark Knight himselfā€¦ Don Diego de la Vega or ā€¦ EL ZORRO!
Zorro_(Diego_de_la_Vega)
(New Spanish / Mexican)

4 Likes

Jessica Cruz for sure. Mas y Menos are hilarious & great in the TT toon, Gangbuster, Fire, Firebird, Montoya, Jaimie & Yolanda Montezā€¦Wildcat.

2 Likes