What Was Your Very First DC Toy or Collectible?

Dabbling was an understatement for me =)

I get ya though. I’ve sold alot of stuff over the years too. No way I could keep everything from 31 years worth of toy collecting. Just not possible to do for me.

1 Like

@Jvfann I bought that 24" Batman statue, too. And I miss the WBSS too. I never understood how closing it helped pay for the AOL takeover. Seriously? We’re closing the one outlet that brings in money to pay for the merger?
Now we have DC Direct/DC Collectibles/DC whatever we call it this week. Blah. A very uninteresting collection of barely sculpted plastic and plaster.

Being extremely ancient, I cannot remember my first DC toy. I know I had an Adam and Eve figure (Ha! JK, Not THAT old) but, I do recall having a few Batman items, I guess it was a Mego Batman and Aquaman figure. And a Batmobile.
As far as collecting goes, I started innocently enough. I had purchased a few Batman (from the 89 movie) around 1998. Selling on eBay at the time, I started hanging “my stock” on the wall. I used that money to buy other things, until it grew to this now out of control ever growing mass that has taken over my entire house. Even door jambs have things ceiling to floor. (HELP! I need to be rescued, my “toys” are taking over and swallowing me up)

My favorite item: A Dark Knight’s Winter Snowglobe. Circa 98. Of that entire line, that is my favorite. Even if it was made by DC Collectibles.
Least favorite: 13" line of DC figures. At $100-200 per figure, I felt the entire line was over priced, and extremely underwhelming. Typical DCC product.
Favorite DC toy line: Legends of the Dark Knight. Considering it was mass retail, to me it was almost on par with McFarlane (almost. but still light centuries behind) and the first couple waves of Marvel Legends.
Lamest Toy Line: DC Primal Age. Even worse than all those other Funko and similar goofball figures (sorry to those who like them).
Favorite Non DC item. SideShow Collectibles General Grievous, or, SSC 12" Kit Fisto.
Coolest “toy”: Laramie (subsidiary of Kenner) Super Soaker Batmobile except that two were broke.
Runner Up: 24" Tumbler R/C.

Ok, that’s me. Now, who cares? :smiley:

2 Likes

While I can’t say specifically, my memory is probably Batman the animated series figures. No clue which I bought first. I’d just guess probably batman

2 Likes

July 1975 MEGO Batman & Robin 8" cloth costume figures and the Batmobile. got them as a consolation present during my sister’s birthday at my Grandma’s house. The area underneath the coffee table in the front den/TV room was my Batcave all summer.

2 Likes

1979 MEGO Superman

1 Like

I don’t recall the maker nor the year, but I do recall the first DC figure I ever owned. It was a Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) figure. I remember loving it so much because when you pressed the button on the back it would lift Hal’s ring arm up. It had to be the late-1980’s or early-1990’s.

1 Like

That sounds like a Super Powers figure.

2 Likes

except neither the super powers or the Toy Biz Green Lantern had switches on their backs. With the SP GL you had to squeeze his legs together to make him raise his ring arm, while the toy biz GL had no mechanism at all he just had a small squeeze bulb and hose that you filled with water then you stuck and end of the hose into the back of the figure’s elbow and squeezed the bulb which made the water shoot out through the power ring on the figure’s hand.

The Toy Biz Robin had a button on his back to activate his karate chop.

#backbuttonrepresent

I believe it was the motorcycle from batman and robin, and i had a superman from the animated series

I had some batman from 1989 back in the day

I can’t say specifically which, but it was something from the Batman animated series. I’d guess Batman was first, but I might have bought multiple figures when I did.