What is your favorite underrated series/storyline.

What is everyone’s favorite underrated series/storyline.

For me, ‘Penguin:Pain and Prejudice’ does not seem to get the appreciation it deserves. IMO it is The Killing Joke of Penguin stories. The greatest ever written. It gives a glimpse into Oswald’s childhood, his relationship with his family (especially his mother), and how deals with people who cross him and who are kind to him.
Everyone should go out of their way to read this amazing mini-series.

4 Likes

Everybody seems to love The Killing Joke for some reason. In my opinion, Mad Love is the better version of the ideas presented in that story. It’s not an obscure pick, but most certainly underrated. As for something I’d say most people haven’t heard of, the ‘90s Hourman is great. So is Chase by JH Williams III.

3 Likes

Venditt’s green lantern from after johns dropped off the book I like all of it hal Jordan forges his own ring made from his pure willpower

3 Likes

The entire first two volumes of Birds of Prey are incredibly well-constructed and fun to read, and don’t get nearly enough credit.

Also, the '86 Captain Atom series is kind of genius and doesn’t get enough love either.

4 Likes

Hourman from 1999 as well as Tim Drakes’ Red Robin series.

4 Likes

I also like Batgirl from 2009 and Shadowpact.

5 Likes

@jackknight_73
Glad to find someone else who’s read Hourman! That series is such a hidden gem.

5 Likes

Double thumbs up for the other Hourman lovers!

I have a personal ‘decades’ list of undiscovered gems and Hourman is my #1 from 1995-2005

As for the others, Hawk & Dove (mini + regular series) is #1 from 1985 - 1995 and the Stephanie Brown Batgirl is my #1 from 2005 - 2015.

All of them were cut off in their prime.

4 Likes

Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday.

It’s Jim Lee’s underrated gem.

3 Likes

I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the Janus Directive storyline that ran in Checkmate, Suicide Squad, Captain Atom, Manhunter and an issue of Firestorm. It was all of DC’s covert/government books in a really cool crossover. If memory serves, they recently reprinted it.

2 Likes

Batman: Death & The Maidens comes to mind.

Oh and DOOMSDAVE, I love that handle!!

2 Likes

I loved Azzarello & Risso’s Broken City arc in Batman, but it came right after Hush and was such a huge tonal shift that it turned off a lot of readers.

2 Likes

@DCComicsCrisis Oh yea! I remember really enjoying Death & The Maidens. Wow! It’s been so long since I’ve read that.

2 Likes

Beware the Creeper 1-6 original run

3 Likes

Batwing52, the Hourman series was so very good. I cannot believe it was as short as it was. I would love to see something similar come back.

2 Likes

Vroom, the Max Faraday series was a lot of fun to read!

3 Likes

Holy potatoes! Another person has read Divine Right?

I knew I wasn’t the only one! I just knew it.

Man, that’s good to know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and give a shout out to the New 52 Batwing series. It started with David Zavimbe as Batwing, who was a child soldier with his brother when they were little. There’s a compelling relationship between David and his brother Isaac. In a lot of ways, I wish that there was more of David Zavimbe as Batwing because he was a really interesting character. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Luke Fox, but I think there could have been more to explore with David, and he had an exceptional (if short) run.

3 Likes

You know what else was pretty good but doesn’t get the love it deserves? The Dark Flash saga. Wally disappears and a new Flash comes to town. We don’t know who he is at first, but later reveals himself to be “Walter” West. The payoff for that is amazing and the art by Brian Augustyn is outstanding! It was Mark Waid’s last issues on The Flash, but he went out with a bang!

3 Likes

Silencer is my current read vary good

2 Likes