What is the first ever comic book you remember reading?

For me, it’s my dad’s old copy of X-Men #109

3 Likes

For me… My brother had a collection of comics…
And they all jumble together in my memories of which one was first.
I remember reading Batman, Detective Comics, New Teen Titans, JLA, Superboy, Green Lantern, Defenders, Archie, Hot Stuff and Casper all before I bought my first comic in 1982.

I was 10 years old when I started buying my own comics. My parents would give us $2 a week back then, which would get me a can soda, a candy bar and a comic.
The first three comics I bought (in order) were: Doctor Strange #53, Fantastic Four #243 and Contest of Champions #1.

1 Like

@LeonardoMyst That’s awesome! The first comic I ever bought was DC Comics Presents #59, it features the Legion of Substitute Heroes

1 Like

All-Star Squadron #45

There was a hobby store that had what today we would call a dollar bin (although it was something like 25 cents back then). And they would buy them to give to me on long car trips, for rewards, small presents etc. I doubt that was the first one they got me of those but that is the first one I remember. I still have that comic somewhere I believe.

I credit the All-Star Squadron’s they got me from there (years later I bought the rest of the run at my local comic shop) with my love for parallel earths (where the concept was introduced to me), World War II history, and the golden age DC heroes.

5 Likes

“They would buy” by the way was referring to my parents.

1 Like

First was probably Sad Sack or Casper.
First superhero was Superman

2 Likes

Probably some Looney Tunes comics as I remember some Bugs Bunny comics I had as a kid. I know I read some of the Star comics as a kid as well. Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, and Ewoks are 3 I remember strongly.

1 Like

Emphasis on the word ‘remember.’ Teen Titans #40.

2 Likes

Umbrella Academy, years before I actually got into comics lol
The first comic I bought was Harley Quinn

1 Like

Action Comics 604

1 Like

Road Runner

Seemed to have a wife and kids, somehow,

I think he just beeped so how they communicated i dont remember.

Maybe 1957

2 Likes

Uncanny X-Men 209 I still have it in a box

1 Like

Jack Kirby’s The Demon #4 (1972).
It was on top of a stack of Comics that my much older sisters ‘boyfriend’ was going to throw away (Dumby!) I was hooked (and it scared the crap out of me).
Conan The Barbarian, Batman and lots of others followed after that!

1 Like

Justice League of America 172 (hence the user name) I was 8 years old, and was really freaked out that a possessed Earth-2 Flash murdered his colleague Mr. Terrific! Seems like that never got the proper follow-up it deserved… glad the Spectre addressed it, I think in issue 54.

2 Likes

My brother and I had some random issues that use to come with action figures back in the day. I remember some Spider-Man and X-men specifically. However I started regular reading of comics with Lemire’s Animal Man. Prior to that I read DKR and Watchmen in high school.

1 Like

Justice League of America #192

@Gregor Hey there! Just removed a couple duplicate comments for you!

For DC, it was Batman: Knightfall.

For Marvel, it was some Avengers comics that featured a team of Captain America, Iron Man, Giant Man, The Wasp, and Thor.

Something from batman but i forgot what it was. I think it was zero year or somethin

I had an old school Batman book and record set that had a joker story in it. The record would read the story and you would follow in the comic.