What is the 1st Comic Book That Got You Into Reading & Collecting Comics?

Superman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly because of the movie

3 Likes

Sad to say it was not DC comics But Marvel’s X Men in the late 80’s early 90’s But I quickly became a D.C fan I started read Superman , WonderWoman Batman with many titles to follow

3 Likes

Comics were always around when I was a kid, and we bought them everywhere. The grocery store, drug store, book store, and even gas stations had them then. I can’t even really remember what the first comic I read was. I clearly remember the local book store had a trade box where you traded 2 for 1 + 1 $0.10 and I did that a lot. I wish I had those old comics now. The first comic I can clearly rember buying new and that I sill have in my collection today is issue #4 of the 80’s Wonder Woman run.

5 Likes

My grandma worked at a hotel and would bring stuff home whenever it got left behind. She gave me a stack of comics; most were about some fat guy named Ralph, but I remember two pretty well. Can’t remember the numbers, but the first was an X-Men issue; one of the “Nuff Said” ones about Banshee. It was the first time I really focused on the story telling in just the art and I fell in love with the medium. The other was a Justice League of America issue with the JLA fighting Ocean Master.

3 Likes

I didn’t start collecting till I was a teenager. But the one that started it all and actually buying comic is Ultimate Spider-Man. Kind of funny since now I don’t like Bendis writing at all anymore.

1 Like

Batman #367 “A Slight Case of Poison Ivy” and have been in love with comics, and Ivy, ever since!

5 Likes

Morrison JLA run in the 90’s. Divided We Fall story specifically.

2 Likes

I wish I still had it, but my first book was the comic book adaptation of Batman Returns when I was 5 or 6

2 Likes

Geoff Johns Flash run.

Think it was Flash 170 or so…

1 Like

The Untold Legend of the Batman mini-series, specifically the mail in version from the Batman cereal in’89 or '90.

After that a three pack of issues from John Byrne’s Superman run. Found it at a toy store.

1 Like

When I was a freshman in college I made a friend who collected comics. I had read a few Fantastic Four and Hulk comics as a kid, but I was mainly into paperback novels (primarily sci-fi/fantasy, but I also was and am a serious collector of the Doc Savage novels from Bantam…really glad to have the whole collection today). My new friend encouraged me to start collecting and I decided to give it a try.

I started reading Marvel Comics because that’s what I knew, and also because my only exposure to DC at that point was the Batman TV show (which I considered silly and campy, though I love it for nostalgic reasons today) and Super Friends on Saturday mornings. He kept telling me DC Comics were better than Marvel, so when the Crisis on Infinite Earths came out, I jumped in.

I have been a huge DC fan ever since. A couple of years later I was able to buy a fairly extensive collection of old comics for a few hundred dollars and I was able to read a lot of the older DC comics (plus a ton of Marvels, which I still love). Some of my favorite DC characters to this day are:

• The Phantom Stranger
  • Swamp Thing
  • The Spectre
  • The Flash (Barry Allen specifically)
  • The Green Lantern (Hal Jordan, mainly)
  • Dr. Fate
  • Deadman

Of course I became a huge fan of the Vertigo titles and collected all the Sandman and related titles. I also developed a fondness for Hellblazer, Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol and Animal Man stories, and a host of others.

So it wasn’t really a comic that got me hooked. It was a friend (who is still my friend today, I’m happy to say).

I was a TomBoy growing up, so anything Batman for me!

3 Likes

This time around it was No Justice and Justice league issue #1 it’s my absolute favorite ongoing series of mine

1 Like

My first comic that hooked me on comics was Fantastic Four number 24 back in 1964. I was introduced to comics at the time while in fourth grade by some brothers who I played basketball with. I stopped by one day because they wanted to show me this pile of comics their mom got them all the time. I had read the Fly back around 1960 when I was like 4 or 5 years old on a trip to New York City but I wasn’t bitten by the comic book but back then. Where DC came in was when I would go door-to-door as a 5th grader in 1965 on and would ask if the kid inside the house wanted to trade Comics, total strangers by the way , and I got introduced very quickly to Superman Giants and Superboy and the Legion of super-heroes Etc. Then right around the same time the Batman TV show of the sixties The Green Hornet Time Tunnel all that cool stuff came out. I’ve been a sad little comic book addict ever since.

5 Likes

That’s the comic Thing versus Hulk btw

1 Like

Coldsmoke Mike, I’m pretty sure that was Ralph snart The Adventures of Ralph Snart Now Comics , late '80s. I really enjoyed that very very funny stuff.

1 Like

Rayneking09, JLA Morrison from the 90’s ensured that I lay my money down anytime H Morrison does a series at DC. You may like his book Super Gods, it’s not a novel it’s a recollection / autobiography and thoughts on what comic books are all about.

1 Like

I would love to thumb thru your collection Don…can only imagine the cool issues youve got

1 Like

I sold a lot of it over the years to pay the electric bill excetera but I definitely have held on to the grant Morrison JLA

1 Like