What is the 1st Comic Book That Got You Into Reading & Collecting Comics?

For me, the real 1st comic that got me into collecting was Superman #123, the 1st Electrical Blue Superman. New powers, new look. I was intrigued. I’ve been collecting mostly since 1997.

18 Likes

Batman HUSH vol.1 and 2. There’s an amazing full page panel of Batman holding the Joker by the throat and it’s on another level.

5 Likes

I remember when those Batman Hush issues came out! I made sure I got doubles of all the printings when they came out. I miss Jeph Loeb. He was one of the ultimate writers of DC back in the early 2000’s.

3 Likes

Watchmen!

5 Likes

Batman: Son of the Demon. Original 1987 story but I got the issues in 1992 the day or two after watching Batman Returns in theater

4 Likes

Batman the Long Halloween from Jeff Lobe and Tim sale 2 years ago 14 know I have most important Batman trades, Spiderman trades, Superman trades.

4 Likes

Harley Quinn New 52 tbh. But Poison Ivy’s my favorite now.

5 Likes

This is a great thread to bring old time and new comic readers together!

4 Likes

Justice League of America #192. Red Tornado attacks the JLA on the satellite. Was stoked to find it included here!

3 Likes

For me it was John Byrnes’ Man of Steel. I was hooked after the first taste.

3 Likes

Detective Comics 615, The Penguin Affair pt 2. My whole comic buying history has revolved around DC and Batman ever since. I kept buying until shortly after No Man’s Land, when adulthood kicked in. Picked up an occasional Vertigo book now and again, sometimes with years of gaps. The New 52 brought me completely back. I missed my childhood stories being cannon, but it was a great jumping on point. I picked up every book.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter because even if I recommend it it would not be available through DC Universe

1 Like

Aquaman Rebirth

3 Likes

It was not a DC book for me. It was the Marvel Fall Special 1990 which was a bunch of random stories featuring characters like Captain America, Captain Marvel (the OG, not Carol), and some others. I fell in love with Captain America after that.

3 Likes

Green Lantern: Blackest Knight

3 Likes

The amazing spider-man, and The Batman. Both from the early 70’s. I would spend weekends and summers with my grandparents and my grandmother would give me 50 cents, I would walk the the corner 7-11 and buy two books every week. Been reading since then, 30 plus years now.

5 Likes

Death of the Family into reading and Batwoman into collecting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRk6q5nWsAE9wCR.jpg:large

4 Likes

Into reading comics was Batman volume 1 issue #156. Into collecting Marvel’s Transformers issue #1.

3 Likes

Reading comics it was Wonder Woman and an issue with who is Donna Troy on the cover. Collecting comics it was definitely Infinite Crisis because I lapsed as a comic reader. I notice most of my memories attached to DC so I guess that is why I prefer them over the competition!

4 Likes

Amazing Spider-Man #98 and Detective Comics #416 both from 1971. Spidey edged out Batman by a couple of months, but I was already enthralled by Batman before I picked up a comic and realized they were better than the show…at 5 years old (thanks Mom!).

3 Likes