What Does Poison Ivy Eat?

In the recent DC Daily watch along they recently bright up the debate. It reminded a video I’ve seen after having a debate with friends about the same topic.

This lead me to the conclude no one knows not even DC. So I would like to ask the fans.

What do you think she eats?

I personally think as mentioned in the video she eats mainly fruit. As the are naturally falling it is not hurting the plant. But she may consume meat from time to time but not much as they do help nature.

12 Likes

Great debate and thread topic, @NYJt3! I like to think that Poison Ivy “eats” chlorophyll, similar to the plants she loves so much. :seedling:

As it turns out, it is safe for humans to ingest chlorophyll but the risks and benefits must be carefully weighed.

Here’s more information: Liquid Chlorophyll Benefits Risks

11 Likes

Hmm… fruits do seem a good guess. In No Man’s Land, I think that’s how she was feeding the orphans she took on, but I can’t remember if we ever saw her eating?

6 Likes

Good call, @CynicalPink! I remember reading No Man’s Land and not seeing it. I wonder if anyone will recall a comic that shows her eating.

5 Likes

Anything she wants, lol. Also she’s a maneater :saxophone:

10 Likes

Depending on how plantlike her actual biology is, it is possible she photosynthesizes.

But if we’re dealing with a more human interpretation of the character, she seems perfectly happy to feed humans to carnivorous plants, so I actually don’t see why she wouldn’t eat meat.

9 Likes

I think it would depend on the version of Poison Ivy. Like, in the Arkham video games, she appears to be mostly plant, so I would assume she would just use photosynthesis to “eat”. In both Gotham and Batman the Animated series, she’s vegetarian/vegan. Young Ivy (in Gotham), won’t accept anything other than vegan food even when she’s starving. I believe Ivy in BTAS states she’s vegetarian and is seen eating a salad and beet juice with Harley Quinn.

Maybe she just eats plants that are getting ready to die naturally?

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it says photosynthesis somewhere. Maybe when Clayface kidnaps her in the aforementioned NML? Or maybe one of the times Bane kidnapped her? This in my head pretty clearly so either I’m great at lying to myself or its out there somewhere.

4 Likes

Note that they changed her pretty significantly over the years. First appearance didn’t have any powers at all. Now she has green skin.

2 Likes

I could see her eating fruit. Fruit is literally just the part that carries seeds for new plants. I could see her eating fruit and always planting the seeds. She probably would never eat beans, considering those turn into little baby plants.

5 Likes

A lot of interesting takes.
I have thoughts of photosynthesis before.
Haven’t read No Mans Land yet. Have to check that out.

@serenap95 I do agree it definitely depends on the version. Also never considered the plants thing. Maybe it’s like a way of putting them out of there misery.

Also @capo-mage :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Ha Ha. I couldn’t resist it. :joy:

1 Like

oof. After the word “ricasso” (look it up) stop reading this thread and go read NML. They set up a story-line on the app I discovered, makes it easy. Ricasso

2 Likes

Isn’t Ricasso what Picasso started calling himself after he got shot in the head and became a taxi driver?

5 Likes

I am crying laughing. Literally. Thank you good sir.

4 Likes

I actually love this thread because I’ve always just accepted that she was kind of vegany and could also absorb sunlight but actually thinking about it- I really WANT her to be like a carnivorous plant and eat only meat.

I mean heck she talks about hearing the screaming corpses of trees when someone writes on paper in Harleen #1, so I just imagine a salad as a loud torture feast now

Would coffee and tea just be the water soaked ground up corpses of her brethren…?

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I can’t imagine her eating veggies. But I can see her eating fruit.

2 Likes

Everyone makes a good point but I am actually having a hard time understanding WHY Ivy wouldn’t eat meat. What does she care about the suffering of animals and people? There are plants that produce digestive fluid that can break down insects and small rodents so why couldn’t her stomach function similarly to a pitcher plant, the way human stomachs kind of do now. Hunks of meat sit and absorb fluids that break them down and disseminate nutrients into her like nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium from fertilizer made out of bone meal.

5 Likes

Chlorophyll? More like bore-ophyll!

5 Likes

@SuperBatDanLantern :joy: Read my mind!

4 Likes