What DC Villian actually has a point?

Look, let’s face it, sometimes villains are right. Even if their actions are wrong, their heart is in the right place.
So, which DC villain do you agree with? Whose convoluted morality just makes sense? I’d love to hear!

5 Likes

Top 3 for me is General Zod, poison ivy and Mr. freeze(pre 52)

2 Likes

Poison Ivy’s a big one. We screwed up and she’s just trying to get the world back on track.

6 Likes

Poison Ivy and Ra’s are the ones that first come to mind. Ages ago, Selina, every now and then, depending on her target.

5 Likes

This was a great question and it got me thinking! My takes are:

Ozymandias - he wanted to bring the world together but he actions were horrific.

Sinestro - his goals were ideal. He wants law and order. The Green Lanterns chose him so that’s something but his arrogance and the fact that he goes too far to accomplish his goals. Although someone told me he looks like an Alien Hitler and I can’t unsee it now and it makes me laugh
:catwoman_hv_5:

8 Likes

Yeah he definitely has that Silver-Age villain look. A lot of bad guys at the time had similar facial structure/features.

3 Likes

I definitely have to agree with a few others in here, Poison Ivy was the first one to enter my mind when I read this.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there really is a villain that I think had their heart in the right place. We could go on long tangents and debates about how some science may be faulty and a lot of speculation is used in global destruction. So from a human standpoint Ivy’s extremism might not be justified.
But she does have a very spiritual connection to the Green and I believe it was stated in another thread that she can hear the screams of trees. So that means that other people connected to the Green could see it as extreme; but still slightly justified.
My brother made the point the other day that the Joker in the DK might have actually been the hero from another point of view. He weeds out the corrupt and evil people in Gotham. There is a lot of speculation about that topic though and I wouldn’t do it justice by trying to explain it right now.

3 Likes

While killing innocents along the way. Doesn’t seem very heroic to me at all.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my argument. I am totally against it. But he says that some people he listens to have some great insight into it. I still would never call him the hero ever.

@AmberButane2814 For me it’s Ra’s al Ghul. He wants to wipe out half of humanity and save the Earth. He even chose 1970’s Batman (not a grim sociopath) as his successor to rule the world. :batman_hv_5: He does have a point that we are messing up the planet and if we don’t stop we may wipe out both halves of humanity.

4 Likes

I always think of Lock Up from BTAS & Rumor from The Batman. Both were sick of the revolving door Arkham & similar prisons had become. So both kept villains locked up, where they couldn’t escape days after being incarcerated. It scared enough big time villains, that they tried to turn themselves in b4 they found them. That’s only in a fictional world tho. The facts of incarceration in the US are nothing but sad.

1 Like

Honestly, the villains I find most admirable are the ones who aren’t under any illusions that they have the moral high ground, but still have some standards (Lady Shiva comes to mind), but I have a feeling that’s the opposite of what you’re looking for.

I find villains who are supposed to be “right” or “have a point” are usually delusional and hypocritical at best. The first thing that comes to mind is that a bunch of different series will have a secondary antagonist who’s this token annoying bureaucrat who accuses the hero of being a reckless vigilante who causes too much collateral damage, and in a realistic setting that person would be good and right. But even then, it’s this weird intrusion of a perspective that only makes sense in our world on something which is to some extent a fantasy world that fundamentally relies on the idea that dressing up in a costume to punch criminals is a good idea that works.

4 Likes

That spun my head a bit, I had to read it twice. Upon a second read I got it. You’re right & Lady Shiva already gets u a point in my book. The bigger point u make is well thought out tho & I would agree.

1 Like

I think (though I may be misinterpreting) the OP is talking about villains who have some degree of justice or altruism toward others (or the planet) in mind, even if wildly deluded in how they go about things. I’m not up to date, but has Shiva ever been anything but self serving? I’m still at a point where nearly every action she takes seems to be aimed at justifying her rank as the best fighter.

1 Like

Well, that’s what I was saying. I was saying that I find villains like Shiva who are honest about who and what they are and have their own weird sense of honor more likable than the kinds of villains AmberButane was asking about, who have a theoretically noble goal but pursue it in an evil way.

Though I did say it kind of confusingly and in a bunch of run-on sentences, so yeah.

1 Like

Poison Ivy

I’ve gotta agree - Ivy all the way!

1 Like

@JeepersItsTheJamags @CynicalPink Wrong Universe, but is Shiva similar to Dr. Doom? Doom has his own weird sense of honor even though he wants to rule the world. His word is his bond and he loves his subjects. If you cross him he’ll kill you without a thought, but if you are under his protection he will fight to the death for you. Doom is an honorable adversary.

3 Likes

Not the first comparison I’d think of, but not wrong, either. Shiva works on a much smaller scale than Doom as an assassin/martial artist, but does have a similar attitude.

2 Likes