What Are You Currently Reading?

New stuff, less and less (except Daredevil). Currently, I am treating myself to '90’s Wally, Kyle, and Connor runs. Remember, when DC had respect for their legacy characters and DC knew how to produce compelling, entertaining and fun comics?

3 Likes

Doomsday Clock.
It was amazing.

A story with such grit and darkness was filled with so much hope.
It was nice what they explained and did. The main characters were well. That art was great. The twists turns and poor firestorm. The JSA and Legion bike up was great. Manhattans speech was very nice in the end. I enjoy crossovers to much :sweat_smile:.

The thing that concerns me is most of the stuff set up in this won’t happen but who knows they predicted far. This only ended a little over a year ago so wait and see. It do hope they use Mine and Marrionet and maybe even touhh go the watchmen stuff mentioned.
The DC stuff mentioned I at least hope for the Marvel crossover teased.
But in the like I said it’s a wait and see thing.

2 Likes

Mistake sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

I just re-read Tom King’s City of Bane arc, so his last 12 or so issues of Batman (2016). I know King’s writing is divisive, and his Batman run even more so, but I loved it. On a re-read, when the issues weren’t spaced out as much, I picked up more little details and understood some things that didn’t entirely make sense the first time around. I’d say my only complaint is that the resolution of Gotham Girl’s story felt a little too neat. But overall, Tom King’s Batman run is my favourite of the character’s in a very long time.

4 Likes

You can definitely start at issue 1. Anything you need to know about the Spectre’s history is presented in Ostrander’s series. Personally, I think it’s up there with Starman in the pantheon of great 90s series – both have a single writer for their entire run, both have one artist who does a lot of the issues and gives the series a distinctive style, and both have definitive endings.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Started reading the recent Legion of Superheroes by Bendis. I’m familiar with them as a concept but I’ve never read a comic of them before. This is not a good introduction to them. The story is just a mess and is confusing to follow. It introduces a ton of characters at once but they aren’t very well characterized or developed. The art is nice but the writing so far is very poor.

2 Likes

Bookmarked your post @NYJt3 as I will be making my way to reading Doomsday Clock soon as well… Soon. :superman_hv_4:

Looking forward to reading your thoughts again just like I did for Scooby Apocalypse a few months ago. :sunglasses: :+1:

With the dawn of our Infinite universe now, I’ll be going back through the Rebirth titles, and look to get farther than I did previously. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Looking forward to your thoughts too.

I hear with the infinite. My reading list have grown exponentially. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Read 80th Joker
Fun bunch of stories with the mental looks the comedic takes and the murder brutality of joker. Cool art and just some nice look. There were some sweet stories such as the birthday in with the kid. The Batman’s death one was great. The first was really interesting and the end wasn’t bad. Overall a nice read.

Lanterns 80th
Like this one more. (Probably due to lanterns being a favorite of mine but have got to reading a lot of them yet​:sweat_smile:)

Killowogs was probably my favorite of the bunch. Always like him getting some spotlight. And very sweet too.
The Four was a nice one too.
Jessica’s was a great story and a interesting look at anxiety.
Johns was a fun little one and nice tribute to McDuffe(probably spelt wrong)

Overall just a lot of great stories.

3 Likes

Just checked out Harleen. That was really excellent reading.

I’m going to look forward to checking out the other Black Label books!

3 Likes

Reading Marvel comics (Todd McFarlane’s Spider-Man) and thinking where to start when I’m getting DC Universe Infinity. Probably with Crisis in Infinite Earths.

5 Likes

batman vs predator collection, batman: court of owls Novelization, super sons (graphic novels) Batman: No Mans Land novelization (2nd time).

4 Likes

Shadowpact, because who doesn’t love Ragman and Detective Chimp?
Nightwing Rebirth

3 Likes

Just started Injustice today and have read the first 20 issues already.

2 Likes

DC Universe Rebirth Supergirl 2016

5 Likes

To add on to the 80ths
Robins was read.
Really like this one in short need more Robin content from all the robins

Dick’s was a nice bunch. Like his Robin story the most. Agent was a great one too. Nightstand Titans seemed business as usual but the Titans said give a lot of laughs. Good ol goon humor. :joy:

Jason only had one but it was great. So sad too. But really told so much in a small story and that was it my favorite (also Jason bias :sweat_smile:) And liked the Outlaws tribute art.

Tim
His Robin one was nice. Felt like a nice YJ side story.
His Red Robin (yum) was great. Explain his place in the Robins. Duck the golden one Jason the black sheep and Damian the son but Tim he’s the choice. He chose to be there and still chooses.
Also a prequel to Detective Rebirth which I really liked. Sad the they did last so long. Want more of the Gotham Knights team.

Stephenie sadly no mentioned but she’s the forgotten Robin. Liked he sorry as it was my first time reading her as Robin. Do want to see more. Like the take as she was technically Bat first daughter (I know Babs could be but to me she his best friend daughter (which is true since Jim is his best friend) so more of a gif daughter of uncle thing with them). Would have been cool I she lasted a bit longer as a Robin.

And finally Damian.
The super sons story was great. Again makes me upset that John was aged even the I understand the reasoning and that his older stories have been good I would have liked to see him grow with Damian. He was his best friend and know how Damian struggles with friends this was a huge step and Greta thing for him and would have nice to see them together go through the being your own hero phase.
Stick that aging John was the start to his downward spiral.

His solo story was a great bats and him moment were they both struggle with emotion but sad to see Damian in the downward spiral. No friends ( I know there’s the titan but they were never really friend more business sure they were growing okay but when John left it was downhill since my guess he didn’t want to lose more friends so he didn’t try make any (for the most part) and focus on his mission. Also Alfreds death the communication device between his and Bruce’s emotions gone also the loss of Grampa doesn’t help him.

But in the end great Robin stories and an awesome™:+1: anniversary issue.

2 Likes
  • Future State Superman, Batman, Wonder Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Green Lantern books.
  • Just finished DCeased Dead Planet.
  • Batman Catwoman.
  • Just finished volume 1 of Adventures of Superman by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez.
  • Working my way through Superman Triangle Era between my other stuff. Feels like I’ve read a lot but I’m still in 1991. Have a long way to go. Will probably skip over Panic in the Sky and Death & Return, since I’ve read those before, which should save me some time.

Overall I’m loving everything I’m reading right now. I find it fun to skip between eras.

6 Likes

Finished DP Weight of World.

Fun run sad it got cut short. Definitely rushed end but all in all a nice message. Like this young animal edition of DP (liked 2016 more but this was still good). The art was great too.

Also finished Wonder Twins. Really liked this run. Fun light while also dealing with heavy topics and a nice message about the changing times. The art was great in this too.
Also I think this would make a really fun show. CW/HBOMax/Whateve

4 Likes

Trying to keep a resolution to read more comics, so I’m reading Aztek, always been a fan of N. Steven Harris. Want to reacquaint myself with Lucifer. Polished off Team 1 Wildstorm and Stormwatch. Might even read Joker War so I know why Grifter is showing up.

3 Likes