Weekly Art Challenge #47 Submission Thread - May 29 - June 5, 2021

I solemnly swear to stop doing multi character drawings so I have a chance of finishing things on time.

5 Likes

dope

3 Likes

super dope reminds of a M777 155 Howitzer! :fire:

3 Likes

Respect

2 Likes

Really cool!
I do not recognize the characters, where are they from?

5 Likes

Looks cool, but not sure of the source material. The canon is sweet!

4 Likes

Looks Awesome™:+1:
I have the same problem with doing many character pieces too :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

hehe, thanks, you’re close. It’s WWII era, so used a QF-25 for reference. (Though the one wheeled M777 would have been less infuriating!)

Thank you all. Source is Boy Commandos (1942-1949) - a Kirby & Simon mashup of the “boy gang” classic with the rising popularity of war comics. (stories and pencils were pumped out like mad under the fear that they were both likely to be drafted).

Their solo series isn’t on DCUI, but they started as a backup in Detective Comics #64, and most of that run (through #150 I think, but we have a gap after #132) is on here, as well as their backup in World’s Finest #8 through #41 (we have through #31).

This is supposed to be the original lineup of Brooklyn (:us:), André (:fr:), Jan (:netherlands:), and Alfie (:uk:). (Sargent Dan Turpin, introduced in Kirby’s 1984 New Gods mini was at some point established to be Brooklyn, all grown up, which puts his opinion of Kalibak’s invasion as “the old times are back, just a little weirder” in a whole different light.)

I spend so much time trying to get the faces right, then when I scale it down for a multi character scene I lose all the detail. :confused:

4 Likes

Thanks to all who participated and followed along in the Memorial Day/DC War Comics challenge. I will update this to the 2021 gallery.

2 Likes