Weekly Art Challenge #47 Submission Thread - May 29 - June 5, 2021

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

This week, in honor of Memorial Day, the topic is DC war comics.

You can check out more details here.

Due Date: June 5, 2021

Post your final work in the thread below.

@DCFanArtClub

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

7 Likes

I decided to go with the Human Bomb from the 2018 Freedom Fighters series.

13 Likes

Nicely done! I really like how the energy from the hands are casting the shadows.

6 Likes

Thanks Rob, I’m still getting used to coloring, but I’m getting more comfortable with the tools each time.

6 Likes

legit :fire: :fire:

5 Likes

Thanks…he is literally about to 'splode!

5 Likes

Very cool, @JKoco17! I love how you drew the effect around his fists. :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

5 Likes

Thanks, I definitely took a lot of inspiration from Eddy Barrows and how he (and his team) did that effect in the Freedom Fighters comic.

5 Likes

I have always thought of the real heroes as those soldiers who put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms. The ones who leave their family and loved ones behind at home to worry about them but knowing they are doing what they feel is right. They then make new “family “ with the others fighting the same fight as they are. They become close like brothers and sisters. And they do their best to make it back home. There are some who don’t and as we grieve we also strive to honor their sacrifice.
With this in mind and dedicated to all those have and are serving, I give you Sgt Rock. This one is also for my dad who continues to teach me about life as he became the person he is today through military service.

11 Likes

Well said and very nice work!

6 Likes

@JKoco17
Awesome™:+1: choice.
Really like the how the shading was done. Makes him glow.

@ImpulseMaxMercury
Wow that’s awesome™:+1:
Really like the clothes shading and wrinkles.

5 Likes

For this Memorial Day Challenge I decided to do John Stewart my favorite Green Lantern and a former Marine Corps Marksman.

Had fun playing with the glow and making the transition from lantern to Solider. Also really like how the Alien desert background turned out.

11 Likes

awesome :fire: RESPECT

4 Likes

dope

4 Likes

I retired from the Army in 2016 after 20 years of service. Over the years I have struggled with depression and PTSD and normally in times past memorial day and that entire week leading up to it was just a blur because I would self medicate, I don’t say all this so you will say awww poor guy, no I say all this because someone else may be suffering from PTSD or depression and they may need to hear there is a way out, and for the last 5 years I have been clean and sober and I’m in my right mind! I have used comics and art as a way of escape from the depression and PTSD, I’m not saying I’m this great artist, but its my therapy. With that being said I’m still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the DC fan art club, so just so you all know I have never read a GI Zombie comic and wasn’t sure of the guidelines and instead of just asking I googled a image of GI Zombie and tried to recreate it. Lets just say this is a picture of America destroying all of our enemies! If your struggling with PTSD or depression I’m here for you.

11 Likes

Looks awesome™:+1:

That was a nice read. Congrats on the 5 years. Thank you for your service.

4 Likes

Look great (and gory)! Thank you for your service and for joining us here in the art club. I hope that we can continue to provide some week to week fun and distraction for everyone.

4 Likes

Great work! Your backgrounds have been really awesome these past few weeks and there is a lot of detail on that gun. Did you use reference for that?

3 Likes

Bro, this is one of your best to date!! Fantastic!!

3 Likes

Sweet! Love the glowing effect!

2 Likes