WB/Discovery Cancellations Are Now Taking Effect! What Would You Like to See in the Future

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303

Figured as much. :clap:

Figured as much?

I assume you were trying to make a point, I just have no idea what you were trying to say.

If you don’t want to clarify what you were saying so that I can understand, then no problem.

Moving on…

@Sean-Malloy

it is still an oxymoron; there has never been such a thing as a good fascist

Well, there is Superman, he’s a good fascist… :smiling_face:

No, in principle, and as ever, there’s good and bad in everything. And believe it or not, there are pros to fascism.

Google says:

1. It prioritizes the welfare of the country.
One of the best things about fascism is that it focuses on the improvement of the country as a whole. Government funds will be spent on increasing the nation’s defenses and ensuring it has enough weapons, trained soldiers, and armed vehicles to defend itself against foreign invaders. The government will also spend money on cultural improvements (which can including making more museums and building national landmarks) to preserve the nation’s culture and make it appear impressive to other countries.

2. It promotes socio-economic equality.
Fascism aims to unite the people by getting rid of socio-economic classes and creating equality among everybody. Since the government is in full control of everybody, it can demand that the rich give up their wealth so it can be distributed among the poor. Theoretically, this will result to the dissolution of the upper class and lower class and make everyone in the country equal to each other.

3. It speeds up the decision-making process.
In a fascist government, there’s no need to jump through bureaucratic hoops since one person is in control of everything. The dictator can make a decision about a certain aspect of government (such as traffic management or crime control), and his decision will be implemented right away. As a result, the country can move forward without any delays and enjoy the benefits of progress and modernization.

4. It improves peace and order.
Common crimes like theft and burglary usually have no place in a fascist government. Since the government is in full control of everything, it can decree heavy punishment for these crimes, discouraging people from committing them and maintaining peace and order in the country.

The bad stuff is really bad though, and it’s what you’re talking about:

1. It paves the way to the abuse of power.
Fascism hands over the control of the entire nation to one person. This can be dangerous since, no matter how well-intentioned a person can be, human nature can still take over and cause him to feel entitled and superior to everybody. His inherent desire for power and his ability to have it without question can push him to use his position to do things for his own benefit and not for the nation’s.

What’s even worse is that it’s not only the dictator who will abuse power. His family, his close friends, and his political allies can also abuse their position to fill their coffers and get what they want.

2. It prevents people from enjoying free speech.
As mentioned above, fascism does not tolerate criticism and opposition. Those who do criticize and openly oppose the dictator can be imprisoned or, worse, sentenced to death. At this point, human rights are no longer a priority and, since the entire country is under the control of the dictator, he can do whatever he wants with those who do not support him. This can leave ordinary people afraid to practice free speech and express their feelings and opinions, since doing so can result to their incarceration or death.

3. It can widen the divide between the rich and the poor.
Theoretically, fascism can pave the way to equality among the people since it can erase the divisions between socio-economic classes. However, in reality, this doesn’t always happen. Rich people will do everything to retain their wealth and status, which can lead them to making deals with the country’s dictator just to stay in the upper class. Poor people, meanwhile, have no choice to follow what the government wants them to do, which can prevent them from striving towards a better future and further ensnare them in poverty.

4. It can damage the country’s economy.
Many countries nowadays flourish because foreign investors can freely enter their economy and contribute to its growth and development. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case in fascist nations. The fact that the government has full control over almost all industries can discourage foreigners from investing and starting businesses in the country since they will have to abide by overly strict rules. They may also have to pay large amounts of money to get the government’s permission to start their company.

5. It can be used to abuse certain groups of people.
The dictator and his allies can use their power to abuse people they don’t like for whatever reason. This happened in Germany during the 1930s and 1940s. Hitler, who ruled the nation during the time, believed that Jews were “subhumans” and saw them as socially undesirable, and he used his power to kill millions of Jews simply to eradicate them from the country.

6. It can drain the country’s funds.
Fascist nations can potentially end up in financial trouble. As mentioned above, the country’s economy can take a nosedive because of the lack of investors. Fascist dictators usually spend most of the country’s funds on military defense, leaving only a small portion for other essentials like agriculture, healthcare, and education.

Superman would represent the good parts of fascism, the pros of it. That’s why I say he’s a good fascist.

The bad parts of fascism are what mortal men would do.

So you need a “Superman.”

Otherwise, yeah… you could be in a lot of trouble.

It might be cool if Warner Bros. did something animated with a fascist Superman. And do it in the style of the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons – and that’s my favorite version of the Superman costume.

Maybe take a look at what Mark Millar was doing with SUPERMAN: RED SON (the comic and the animated movie) and just do it better – like leaving out the Batman and Green Lantern stuff. :smiling_face:

But yeah, do a Max Fleischer style animated movie or mini series or something, and play out a fascist Superman to a logical conclusion.

We know how it would end up with a mortal man, but what about a Superman?

I was making a point about both NPR and your use of the term fascist. NPR is a corporation. It has a model it follows and sticks to that model. The only technically fascist DC character is Lex. Google says is an irrelevant option since Google is also a Corporation. Auto-ranking is still modified by people who work for Google and their affiliates.

Claiming Superman, or any other well loved Hero, is a Fascist is trolling at best. You don’t like him ok. But coming here and trolling well loved Heroes is not right.

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303

First, did you even read the article?

Because a part in the article that I didn’t post here is:

Wertham’s concerns about the fascistic elements in superhero comics were about themes and implications, not actual text.

So just to put everything into context.

Second, I think you’re taking this a bit too serious. This is all being said, on my part at least, as tongue in cheek.

And last, this part…

Claiming Superman, or any other well loved Hero, is a Fascist is trolling at best. You don’t like him ok. But coming here and trolling well loved Heroes is not right.

Ask before jumping to conclusions.

Superman is my favorite character.

I don’t like reading his comics because nothing that they’re doing in it is that interesting to me. And sales numbers show that I’m not alone in that. But that’s neither here nor there, because that’s been an issue for decades now – it’s why they brought John Byrne in nearly 40 years ago; to “fix” Superman.

Also, I can’t stand the fact that he’s married to Lois Lane. And it would take a total reboot to erase and “fix” all of this and anything else that I don’t like, but I seriously doubt DC is going to that again anytime soon.

Hopefully the Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch Black Label Superman project will be to my liking…

During a Reddit AMA on r/dccomics commemorating the release of World’s Finest #1, Mark Waid answered a series of fan questions. A fan with the username u/Killercroc22 posted a comment regarding Waid’s Black Label series, asking, “Can you give us some insight on the Superman Black Label you’re allegedly working on?” In response, Waid said, Allegedly… I really can’t other than to say it’s essentially a sequel to Birthright.” The teasing reply serves as an unofficial confirmation that the previously announced Black Label title will follow in the footsteps of Superman: Birthright. Whether it is only a spiritual sequel, or a literal follow-up, fans of Waid’s take on Superman have a lot to look forward to.

I liked SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT for the most part. So “essentially a sequel” to it is fine.

I kind of hoped he’d do something different, but let’s see what he comes up with, I might like it – and at least Superman won’t be married to Lois Lane, because Mark Waid doesn’t like the marriage either.

But yeah, don’t ever assume that I don’t like Superman and would “troll” him. Because nothing could be further from the truth. And me thinking that Superman has fascist aspects is something that people have seen for decades. It’s nothing new.

It’s odd to me when someone doesn’t see it. :smiling_face:

But whatever, no big deal.

And I don’t “troll” anything. I don’t do that, I have to actually care about something to talk about it.

Anyway, again, the Superman comics are just boring as hell to me, that’s all. :smiling_face:

So it’s the character that I like, and not so much the content of the comics. Or to be more exact, I like the idea of the character, the overall concept.

So it’s up to Warner Bros. to do something that I might find interesting – DC I have long lost faith in. And the Sasha Calle Supergirl, or Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Black Superman if that’s still going to happen, would be something that would interest me.

With the traditional Superman they’re in a bit of a tough spot with me. Because if it’s just something like Superman punching Brainiac or something, then that’s like, “Okay, I guess… This is the best you guys could come up with?” :smiling_face:

But that’s just me.

1 Like

So, would you consider Superman and Zod the pros and cons of fascism?

1 Like

@Sean-Malloy

So, would you consider Superman and Zod the pros and cons of fascism?

I guess so, yeah.

Zod would do the bad things in order to ultimately achieve the good things, the positive things that he wanted.

And Superman wouldn’t do the bad things, unless he had no choice – or seemingly had no choice, like the position that Zack Snyder put him in.

Of course, Superman could have just flew the people out of the way, or flew in-between them and Zod, or flew Zod out of the way… or just go and fly and turn back the Earth or something and reverse time – he’s done that before. :smiling_face:

And of course Superman doesn’t want to rule anything, just the manner in which he administers justice has or had fascist aspects to it. Which isn’t necessarily wrong, it’s just what it is. And it started in ACTION COMICS #1.

Anyway, no, Superman is not some Mussolini fascist or anything like that.

No, no one is that stupid to think that.

Superman was just our fictional “good” strongman, created during the time of real-life “evil” strongmen.

As and aside: I guess the old joke with Mussolini was at least the trains ran on time.

At what cost though, I guess. Was it worth it. :smiling_face:

Let me put my conspiracy hat on good. Warner/Discovery is trying to destroy the market right now. Cancelling shows with minority leads, letting shows with white, heterosexual, cis gendered leads continue. Cancel culture goes crazy on white toxicity

2023 brings a guaranteed failure in Flash, Gotham Knights, and Justice Academy. Jason Momoa,Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Dwayne Johnson and Zachary Levi age out of their movies.

2024-2026 brings Supergirl, Batgirl, maybe a black Superman and who knows what else. Comic book movies as a box office draw come to an end. Disney’s 5011 projects planned through phase 11 have no where to go but back to the drawing board.

2027 Nothing, nada, zilch

2028 50th anniversary of the first and 90th anniversary of the character. You will believe a man can fly, again Superman opens to commercial and critical success. Warner/Discovery is on top.

Of course I won’t care because I’ll be pushing 60 and still waiting for The Authority movie.

As long as I get a good Booster Gold movie I will be fine

3 Likes

That is odd

1 Like