WarnerMedia Upheaval - Let's Talk About It!

This thread needs to be revived

1 Like

Losing the comic library would be devastating. Shifting away from monthly publications would change the industry forever. Such a sad day with really depressing prospects. :disappointed:

P.S. All my love to anyone out there who lost their job in this mess. We so appreciate you guys and all you have given us over the years.

30 Likes

As it looks like the streaming service is going to go away in its current form I’m really hoping you can keep it going as a comic book service only.

That’s been the ting I’ve gotten out of the service the most.

I hope there’s more out there that agree with me. Thanks

21 Likes

I’m agreement with most to keep it as a comic book subscription service

6 Likes

It would be great if they kept the community

14 Likes

As it looks like the streaming service is going to go away in its current form I’m really hoping you can keep it going as a comic book service only. That’s been the ting I’ve gotten out of the service the most. I hope there’s more out there that agree with me. Thanks

7 Likes

I agree with everyone here I love this site for the comics. And want to say my heart goes out to those effected by the layoffs. Much love for all the awesome stuff y’all have done

13 Likes

Here’s the original article:

I’d say that you should always cite your sources, but the Hollywood Reporter didn’t bother…

8 Likes

Yeah its nice to have access to the ones not in trades.

2 Likes

this crazy whats happin today.

2 Likes

I would also be so sad to lose the community. Actually, maybe mostly that.

9 Likes

I’m fine if they lower the cost a buck or two. I think that’s fair for it becoming just a comic app.

7 Likes

This year has been crazy,

3 Likes

Thanks @alex - I added citation of THR article

1 Like

The future of the comic side of DC will likely be young adult books and Black Label books.

2 Likes

I really need Wonder Comics and Young Animal to stick around. That’s mainly what I’m collecting right now

2 Likes

First and foremost, I want to send my positive vibes to all those affected by these layoffs. I thought att was the savior, it turns out the complete opposite.

Like a lot of you, I hope this remains a comic service. I will continue to support DC comics at my local shop as well. This really sucks. :frowning:

19 Likes

This really is not good news to me. I am hoping that if they shift all movies and TV shows to HBO Max that they at least keep DC Universe as a comic book subscription service. As it is, I think they may be making a mistake. HBO Max had a slow start and I get the impression things haven’t improved a whole lot since its launch. In putting so much into HBO Max, I think WarnerMedia may be betting on the wrong horse.

7 Likes

This video says DC Publishing is laying off 3% of it’s workforce which is about 7 employees.

Not to undermine if it is true, as that is not good for those 7 people and 3% is far from nothing. Also since it said publishign that may not include all aspects of DC. But as far as the comics division that doesn’t sound like the “bloodbath” everyone is reporting.

Things are not great for the comic industry but don’t know if this is the “death toll” that everyone predicts every month come to life. I doubt that is even the biggest layoff DC has ever had.

Don’t know what that means for DCU though, which for all I know from that might not be included in the statement about “DC Publishing”. I think the writing is on the wall that the original series will at the very least be produced less and more likely go away entirely, or be shared with other services, but would not be at all surprised if they don’t shortly move all their series to other services. Although it sounds like short of DC Universe All Star Games and of course Swamp Thing, that all the DC Universe Orinals produced so far as going to find a new home at least, which is a testament to what DC Universe created.

I hope that they do at least keep DCU as a comics service. I would think this news would not rule that out, as I would guess (knowing almost nothing about the exact ins and outs of running a service like DCU I admit), that a large number of employees at DCU were involved in original content over archiving comics and old movies and TV. So my best case hope is DCU will remain as a comics service and house at least a library their current size of old TV and movies, which I would think would give them more “bang for their buck”. It would seem with Marvel having a digital comics service DC would want a competing service. But I guess with Covid changing the world on a daily basis that might not be a train of thought they can afford to have right now, who knows. But am cautiously optimistic DC UNiverse will survive in some form, although almost surely not as the weekly source of new DC TV it has been.

10 Likes

It was alright while it lasted.

1 Like