WarnerMedia Upheaval - Let's Talk About It!

Thank you DC Universe team. You’ll be missed
With today’s layoff news (yes, we all know) I want to thank everyone involved in the DC Universe for your work and efforts. While not perfect, it’s the best comic company app by a mile. Here’s hoping bigger and better things are on the horizon

180 Likes

Yep, not good news at all. Hopefully the comics and community stay around in some sort of fashion (hopefully an add-on to HBOMax).

32 Likes

I was never a forums person. I honestly hated them on most parts of the internet. But DCU was different. It was special. Not only did it have a beautiful and kind community, but some of the best developers and moderators ive ever seen. The team behind this site made it a home. I am so grateful for every single one of you who have helped develop the DCU experience. No matter what happens in the end, I will always think fondly of this site.

76 Likes

I thought just the tv shows are moving. I can’t find any news about DC Universe ending. Although I must say, DC Universe please don’t shut down any time soon. There are so many comics I have yet to read on here!

68 Likes

This is from Bleeding Cool
Not the best source

But includes a memo

The CEO who launched
HBO Max
Has already been fired.

There will be an emphasis
On fewer layers of msnagement
And going international

Titans already with Netflix internationally
So.that is problematic

The tone of that memo
Is frightening

You all did a great job
But business is businesd

Only good note
Is at least
Some terminations
Actuakly
Occur in December
So hred
Have months
To look for job
In awful job market
Before terminated

Looks like
DC Daily staff
At least got head start
In job hunting.

12 Likes

16 Likes

In some ways this doesn’t really feel real because there has been a lot of doomsaying about DCU literally since the beginning, but…that sounds bad, no matter what happens. Hopefully whoever this affects will bounce back from and find other work.

25 Likes

Turning to the DC Universe community, because it directly impacts it.

What is happening?

What will become of DC Universe??

How will DC Comics be impacted???

According to The Hollywood Reporter,

" Monday’s WarnerMedia layoffs have affected a significant number of high-level figures at comic book powerhouse DC, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter .

Among those said to be losing their positions are editor-in-chief Bob Harris, senior VP of publishing strategy and support services Hank Kanalz, VP of marketing and creative services Jonah Weiland, VP global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase, senior story editor Brian Cunningham, and executive editor Mark Doyle, who oversaw the rollout of the Black Label graphic novels. Jim Lee remains the CCO.

Roughly one third of DC’s editorial ranks are being laid off, according to sources.

Insiders also say the majority of the staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, a move that had been widely expected as WarnerMedia shifts its focus to new streaming service HBO Max.

"DC Universe was DOA as soon as the AT&T merger happened,” said one source.

DC Universe launched in May 2018, and is home to live-action series such as Doom Patrol , Titans and Stargirl , as well as animated offerings including Young Justice and Harley Quinn. Some of those shows have now started to stream on HBO Max.

Also a victim of the layoffs: DC Direct, the company’s in-house merchandise and collectibles manufacturer. The division has been shuttered after 22 years, another move that was rumored when Warner Bros. Consumer Products began taking a more active role in DC merchandising.

A DC spokesperson declined to comment on the changes, which come less than two weeks before the planned Aug. 22 online event -DC Fandome, which is set to showcase stars from DC’s film, TV and comic book worlds.

Source:

DC Comics, DC Universe Hit By Major Layoffs

AUGUST 10, 2020 5:41PMby Graeme McMillan , Borys Kit

6 Likes

If they want to move all movies and shows to HBO Max I’m cool with that. Just please, please, please keep it as a comic subscription service. That’s all I ask.

85 Likes

As long as there is a place to read old comics, I’m fine. I have no problem streaming media on HBOMax. They take away the comics, that is a problem.

51 Likes

Same here. Having access to so many comics has been amazing. If Disney can do Marvel Unlimited, surely WB can have DCU be the same thing.

42 Likes

I agree completely. I didn’t join this site for movies or tv series. I came for the comics.

40 Likes

Please keep it as a comics service!

30 Likes

Isn’t there a value to having everything in one place? Including this community?

And what about the Comics, themselves - will they be impacted?:thinking:

10 Likes

Her contributions to the comics medium has gone criminally underappreciated for far too long.

19 Likes

I just hope the comics subscription service remains in some form. Having this huge library at your fingertips alone is worth the price. It would be a massive blow to have had this great comics service and then lose it.

20 Likes

I’m hoping that DC Comics still publishes comic books at this point. It will be a sad day to see the monthly comics go away.

12 Likes

Didn’t EVS predict this?

2 Likes

Based on what @mattmclean73 posted… how in jeopardy do we think DC monthly comics may be?

I’m very, very upset about this and mainly worried about the comics I’m collecting. If you’re on social media maybe shoot some love DC’s way.

I dunno if I would move to HBO Max for the shows tbh. If DC Universe sticks around then I’ll stick around but I’m not down to keep paying for more and more streaming sites.

13 Likes