Vote and Defend - Final Round

The Revolutionary People’s Historian Committee is in session. Please light your revolutionary smoking devices, so we may have the proper smoke filled room. Revolutionary Historian Comrades, the United Kingdom has exported many things to the United States, from the Beatles to sarcastic television judges. Among their exports are comic book writers such Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Grant Morrison. The question at hand, which in hindsight doesn’t seem all the revolutionary, is which of these Brits has the greatest legacy at DC Comics. You know your duty, vote and defend that vote.

• Alan Moore
  • Neil Gaiman
  • Grant Morrison

0 voters

Join us for the History Club regular schedule starting November 1st.

4 Likes

Man, you ask the tough ones!

Alan Moore gave us Watchmen, a revamped Swamp Thing, The Killing Joke, Whatever Happened to Superman?

Neil Gaiman gave us the Sandman universe, and Sandman is one of the greatest comic runs ever. Whatever Happened to Batman? and Black Orchid, too, but those didn’t have much impact, really.

Grant Morrison have us the Seven Soldiers, Final Crisis, JLA, parts of 52, Damian Wayne & Professor :pig2: inside his Batman opus, the Green Lantern, etc.

What stuff have I forgotten?

4 Likes

We should start by listing their greatest Comic Book

Alan Moore

Saga of Swamp Thing (The Anatomy leason particularly)
Watchmen
Killing Joke
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
V for Vandetta
From Hell (Top Shelf, now part of IDw))
Promethea, a quasi.Wonder Woman
Tom Strong
Last Pre Crisis Superman Whatever happened to the Man from Tomorrow
Superman Man who has Everything

Neil Gaiman

Sandman
Death High Cost of Living
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
Black Orchid

Grant Morrison

JLA
Animal Man
Doom Patrol
Batman
Seven Soldiers
52 with many other writers
Green Lantern recently

What am I missing?

Not ready to vote yet

Probably
Neil because came out of nothing existing
Rest built on existing characters.

3 Likes

Were League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell DC books? I pretty sure From Hell wasnt, at least. Great book, though!

2 Likes

It seems plain to me that one of them is Moore important than the others.

5 Likes

Another point that should be brought up is that Sandman inspired the creation of Vertigo.

3 Likes

-1 point for horrible pun

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the reaction I expected, Moore or less.

7 Likes

I confess I did not go full historian mode on this one, went with the emotional answer of Gaiman.

1 Like

Alan Moore. Watchmen is listed among the greatest 100 English novels, and that alone won him the vote for me. Not to mention the other numerous works of genius he has written. The other two have done their fair share of epicness, but I must admit I haven’t read or heard as much as I have about Moore (another reason he won the vote!)

Thats all folks!

3 Likes

Honestly, this is one of the toughest questions I’ve ever been asked.

I would probably have to say Moore seeing as more of his works have (at least somewhat) successfully crossed media and the fact he may have possibly met a real life John Constantine. I mean, what other writer claims to have met their characters?

Gaiman has had a good number or cross-media successes himself, but a lot of his more popular stuff is generally based on his novels.

If I were to vote on a personal level, I’d pick Morrison based solely on his Animal Man run as I feel it sets the bar for any 4th wall breaking adventures.

3 Likes

I had to go with Alan Moore. Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Killing Joke… come on now. This guy has wrote books that people HAVE to own.

Alot has been said for Morrison but he’s just not my cup of tea and Gaiman created the Sandman Universe but thats all I really know him for.

2 Likes

Poor Grant. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Tough one but I went Moore because I’m a bigger fan of his work than the others.

1 Like

I kind of wonder if we ask this question five/ten years from now if our perspective would have changed. Kind of hard to judge history from a contemporary perspective.

2 Likes

I love Top Ten

2 Likes

The video in our library

Secret Origins The Story of DC Comics

Covers the three writers, and Vertigo beginning at one hour six minutes.

All three are interviewed. If you never knew what they looked like or heard them, here’s your chance.

1 Like

I loved

Warren Ellis

Planetary and Global Frequency

2 Likes

Got to go with Grant. His stories are so deep. Tying in long forgotten moments into continuity, telling stories about gods but making them feel human, are all such great things given to us by Grant. His tells stories the way they’re supposed to be told: big and bold. High level concepts and a lot of heart! Love me some Grant!

4 Likes

If anyone has some good Gaiman recommendations, I’m all ears! Out of all the choices, I’ve read the least of his books!