Vote and Defend - Final Round

Tough choice that but I’m going to have to go with Moore. A lot of his work is seminal and so well known even by non-comic readers.

1 Like

I gotcha covered.

1. Sandman
  2. Sandman
  3. Um…Sandman!

The thing with Sandman, though, is you have to get through the first volume. It took Gaiman a minute to really find his voice.

2 Likes

But the question before us is who had the greatest impact on DC comics. If I recall correctly (never a solid promise), ABC was before Wildstorm merged with DC. By that point, Moore would never allow himself to make money for DC.

According to the interview Moore gave George Khoury in the book The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore , when Lee first saw Alan Moore after the takeover, the tall figure of Moore holding his snake-headed walking stick impressed Lee so, he was sure Moore - who was then still ignorant of the sale - was going to beat him senseless

Lol. I’d be scared, too!

2 Likes

@tuxnut

I liked Authority for its scenes
More so Nextwave

In Voyage in Noise: Warren
Ellis and the Demise of Western Civilization
It was said

If Ellis had stripped Stormwatch of its intelligence to create The Authority, reducing the genre to
“widescreen” fights with huge stakes, he now sought to reduce this formula further.

At the 2006 Heroes Con, he described Nextwave as The Authority minus “plots, logic, character and sanity.”

1 Like

If you’re also interested in more than just his comic works (which @ralphsix is very right about, Sandman is amazing) , his novels are fantastic. I’m sure you’ve at least heard of some of them, as a lot have been made into movies or shows. Coraline is the one that jumps to mind first, American Gods and Anansi Boys were great, too. I never got a chance to read Good Omens, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, and the Amazon Series seems to be doing well. Stardust was made into a pretty bad movie, but the book is a must read for Fantasy fans.

3 Likes

I haven’t read Good Omens, either, but love the show. Very sacrilegious, though, if anyone is sensitive to that.

The other works mentioned really are great, especially American Gods.

2 Likes

Man this is tough . My head tells me
Moore really changed the game for DC (and all comics really) with his work .

Personally , though, Gaiman’s Sandman is a favorite as is Morrison’s JLA, seven soldiers and Batman.

2 Likes

Really surprised Gaiman is in third. Figured Moore would win, but thought Gaiman would put up fight.

1 Like

I think Ireland is independent . Northern Ireland is part of the UK

1 Like

Re: sandman and getting through the first few issues.

Very true . But even so those first few issues are entertaining, albeit different style/tone than what comes after

1 Like

The Republic of Ireland (bottom 2/3rds) capital in Dublin is a separate country. Northern Ireland aka Ulster is part of the United Kingdom. The entire island system is the British Isles, the large Island is Great Britain :uk: And I can be pedantic at times.

2 Likes

Yep . That exactly what I meant . I work for a British company , so it triggers me when I see Ireland is in the UK :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow that was tough, I know it was Moore or Morrison , glad I picked Moore

2 Likes