UPDATE:DC Daily is electric for Static Shock!

UPDATE: We’d love to include your comments in our show. Let us know what your favorite moments were from Episodes 1-13 and feel free to post as much as you like! We’ll be choosing several comments to air throughout these episodes.

Hi Everyone,

We are gearing up to watch Season 1 of Static Shock and want you to join us!

If you’d like to participate, watch Episodes 1-6 BEFORE 1/29 and Episodes 7-13 BEFORE 2/5.
Then, comment below with your hot takes and favorite moments. Funny, heartfelt, easter eggs, all are welcome!

This is a classic from 2000 and we can’t wait to dive in and see what you had to say. Who knows, your comment may just make the show!

Happy watching!
DC Daily

13 Likes

Huzzah!!!

I’m an unabashed Dwayne McDuffie fan, and a rewatch of Static Shock is perfect for Black History Month!

2 Likes

I just watched the show for the first time this year. It got cheesy in parts but I loved every second of it.

(Happy Birthday @TaimurDar!)

4 Likes

According to Dwayne McDuffie, Rubberband Man is named after the The Spinners song and not the Bootsy Collins song. Though McDuffie was a HUGE Parliament-Funkadelic fan and often referenced their songs like “Mothership Connection” in comic story titles.

2 Likes

I can’t believe Freida who is voiced by Danica McKellar also voices Miss Martian on Young Justice so cool.

3 Likes

Episode 6 “The New Kid” is a particular fave since it features Patton Oswalt and Michael Rosenbaum as the genius school bullies.

Virgil’s acceptance into the Vanmoor Institute for young geniuses very much reminds me of how Dwayne McDuffie attended the Roeper School for gifted students when he was growing up in Michigan.

2 Likes

what ever happend to hotstreak

1 Like

that is sooo cool

1 Like

Fun trivia, the rapper name Rubberband Man adopts, Stringer, is a reference to the character’s civilian identity in the comics, Karmon Stringer.

3 Likes

Not to mention Miguel Sandoval, who played Manny Devalos on Medium, as the teacher (or was it principal).

1 Like

So, how did Static go from having to be careful using his powers at the pool in season 1 episode 9, but can fly in the rain with no worries in season 2 episode 2?

And then he battles a water woman in season 2 episode 8. Great show, but not the best on continuity.

Some great moments in season one like dealing with loss, racism, friendship, adopted siblings, and family dynamics. Also enjoy the relationships between Virgil and his father and sister.

2 Likes

Richie’s Pops got on my nerves

2 Likes

I really liked how the experiences that Virgil had while taking down other Bang Babies opened his eyes to the fact that even if his friends and family don’t fully understand him (whether it be age, gender or even race) they provide him with a loving support system that others aren’t fortunate enough to have.

3 Likes

Have to credit the brilliant Andrea Romano for the meta casting of Neil Patrick Harris as former child star turned villain Replay. Safe to say Neil’s career took a better turn than Johnny post child stardom.

3 Likes

There were so many great guest stars on this show. Whether voice or character, there was a lot to take in in guest appearances…

2 Likes

Episodes 1-5 I just watched the first five episodes of Static Shock. I never watched the show when it aired, but my kids loved it. I guess they were the smart ones. This really is a great show. it’s fun, funny, and exciting, but it has substance too. It’s not just a flashy, silly kids show, as I may have passed it off as. I wish I had made more of an effort to enjoy it and talk about it with my kids.

2 Likes

The Static Shock recaps are so fun! I remember watching this when it aired, and now I’m catching so many things that I didn’t notice when I was a kid - like the “Plant Man” comic that’s obviously a reference to Swamp Thing. Love it!

4 Likes