Trial of the Amazons | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead

I hope so too, I really liked Yara

6 Likes

the end of wonder girl felt a bit rushed, I feel like Yara should have gotten more closure over the whole eros thing

since he basically drugged and groomed her to be his trophy wife

6 Likes

To be honest, even without the delays Wonder Girl wound up feeling rather dragged out. I get where the writer was trying to go with that, but seven issues in and Yara never actually meets the Esquecida. Never calls herself Wonder Girl. The big encounter with Cassie and Artemis the series was teasing since the first issue wound up being nothing. Would have been better with either a cold open or a shorter, snappier first arc. Especially since the way it abruptly wrapped up shows it was intended to drag out even longer without a resolution.

6 Likes

That’s fair – I remember having similar issues with Jones’ Catwoman run, which while solid in many ways, had it’s share of pacing and plot issues.

5 Likes

A shame we have two more weeks before the next part of this event…
On a random note regarding it, i’ll be curious how the Contest will be structured.
We have four contestants so unless its a singular event it would be a rather short process of elimination. They can’t really do a best two out of three with four people. And we have three issues left to resolve

1. The contest
  2. Who murdered Hippolyta
  3. WTF is that stuff coming from the door and how do they stop it?
4 Likes

I started Road to The Trial of The Amazons. And then I realized the Trial of The Amazons crossover is not yet in the library. But I will continue with the Road. I will post my thoughts momentarily.

4 Likes

Same, but considering this week and next week they’re releasing the first issues of the Batman/Robin/Deathstroke event Shadow War, I’m guessing they didn’t want one event to potentially eat the lunch of the other.

(Shadow War has started out pretty good, by the way.)

Yeah, that’s something I’ve been a little worried about with this event – how are they going to resolve all of this?

If I were willing to guess, I’m thinking the Contest is going to be interrupted by the stuff going through Doom’s Doorway and they’re probably linked to who killed Hippolyta.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was struck by those print errors as well. Was the editor drinking?

5 Likes

Maybe they fell asleep? :sweat_smile: No idea, but I’m glad to say it so far hasn’t happened again in the series. :+1:

Welcome to the community, @tameko2001.63706! Thanks for coming by!

4 Likes

Mulling over it some, im predicting the contest will wind up being some sort of gauntlet that include various gauntlets built into it over the course of it to test those three categories mentioned in the Nubia issue.

3 Likes

TOTA: Wonder Girl 1 is my fave issue so far, perhaps unsurprisingly. I love pretty much all the Joelle Jones, true, but this issue is a great example why—It was gorgeous :star_struck: dynamic, and the pacing was :ok_hand: excellent. Really enjoyed the moment between Yara and Hippolyta, everything w/ Cassie was well done, and I love every single thing happening here:

And here (among several other pages).

Ready for more after that, for sure. :purple_heart: So I’m not enjoying the wait… :alarm_clock:

Also, side note: I will gladly accept more Ms.Jones in any Wonder Woman comic. Guest artist perhaps? :eyes: Some more JLD w/ Diana? (coughs - Diana and Hawkgirl??) Honestly, I’m not picky here, lol! It’ll be beautiful no matter what it is—just a factual fact.™️

:eyes:…… :crystal_ball:

8 Likes

@tameko2001.63706 Yeah, they jumped right out at me, and I thought something similar! :upside_down_face: Glad is hasn’t happened again. Welcome aboard, btw! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

You knew it was going to be my favorite, so I am not at all surprised its your fav as well.
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

#TeamYara

tosses @Razzzcat a “I :heart: Yara Flor, big-time!” t-shirt with the sleeves already removed, so as to make it a tank top, per her preference

I was going to bow out of TOTA for April, as I recently refreshed my pull list and Wonder Woman won’t be on it post-TOTA, but…being that I will absolutely pick up TOTA: WG #2 (and its Babs Tarr variant, which is pretty), I will go ahead and finish out the story afterall, as I’m highly curious how it plays out.

peeks a sneak into Razzz’s crystal ball

Whatever the choice, I won’t be reading the book until it hits DCUI ('member, recently refreshed pull list), so I’m sure a sensational choice will be made on where to discuss the wonderful book above by the time it flies into our library.

See, I mentioned “sensational” and “wonderful” because-

“We get it, Kryptonian flyboy.”

Just being clear. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

(I already brought it up over here :wink:)

5 Likes

Wonderful!

the audience groans, while one person in the back says “Puns are fun!”

I’ll probably peek in, as I don’t care about spoilers 6 months prior to my read of the book.

3 Likes

Forgot to address this:

You should check out Bendis’ Justice League, as Hippolyta, Hawkgirl, Naomi and Black Canary are all on the team (wicked-rad, yeah?). If you’re like me, you’ll quite enjoy it.

Looky, the first ish o’ Bendis’ run:

If you want more Justice League Dark with Diana, Zee and friends (and who wouldn’t?), it runs as a back-up from Justice League #s 59 to 74, and in this, too:

Which has this snazzy variant (I love how Zee and Diana are leading the way on this one):

5 Likes

The Road to the TOTA has been pretty good. DC’s take on the Asgardians feels very close to the source material. I like Thor as a ginger.

Diana has left Asgard and made it to Olympus. Which is burning ruins. Apparently, she died and went to the wrong afterlife. Plus an assist from Deadman!

5 Likes

On the Sensational Wonder Woman Special, it should be noted that I’m pretty sure those are all reprints of the most recent Sensational Wonder Woman digital first series.

4 Likes

Actually these are 3 new stories that were released together this year for International Women’s Month. :blush: The stories in the series last year are all different, but they are similar in that they are all standalone.

4 Likes

Just gonna park this right here… :wondersquadron2: :wondersquadron1:

7 Likes