Tom King Batman

King’s run is uneven, but at its best, it’s my favorite solo Batman run of all time. I’m usually more of a Batfamily fan, but King made me love Bruce.

I think most of the criticisms tend to be exagerrations or bad faith readings - not that King didn’t make mistakes, but those mistakes didn’t make him the “worst writer ever”.

2 Likes

That’s how I feel with Bendis. Yeah… he isn’t doing the best Superman, but he has plenty of other good comics.

2 Likes

A good attitude.

1 Like

I haven’t read the whole thing, but my impressions of the first 3 Volumes were pretty average. It’s not the worst, and it’s not the best. The writing style isn’t my cup of tea, but I respect some of the bro’s choices he made (of course that’s only in the first part of the run, dunno about the rest). It was good enough to sustain my interested for as long as it did, then I moved on to better things. I’d give it a shot if you’re interested.

2 Likes

Don’t listen to naysayers-read a few of his issues for yourself. Honestl, I never cared much for Bats-much more into The Superman Family, but King’s run made me a believer. Bruce Wayne is just as important as Batman, and instead of an automaton I found a full character

2 Likes

Off topic, but not, at some point we’re gonna be deep in Bendis’ superman run and there’s gonna be the same love it/ hate it feels. So far, I’m LOVING it. He DIDNT make Jon disappear, he DIDN’T kill Lois, or any of the other stuff most assumed he was gonna do. Now sooner or later, yeah, he’s gonna go FULL-BENDIS, and its gonna irk alotta folks. But even then, least it wont be boring…

4 Likes

I agree Bendis is a good writer, Ultimate spiderman and Daredevil come to mind, but he is not doing a good job with Sups right now,

2 Likes

Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey were the first things that came to my mind.

I haven’t read his Daredevil, but Ultimate Spider-Man, particularly the first 105 issues, and then Alias and the last Jessica Jones series he did before coming to DC, are really excellent titles. I’m also a fan of what he’s doing on Young Justice right now (obviously :wink: )

I had the first volume of the Young Justice and liked it. I’m reading it in trade though because I’m reading so much right now that I can’t keep up with everything. Daredevil is like the only character I follow in Marvel anymore.

It started really good. I am suicide and I am Bane (didn’t love I am Gotham) are the best Bane stories since knightfall. However it gets so ■■■■■■■■ bad toward the end. Bruce is not the batman we want his characterization is off and he constantly gets bailed out by his girlfriend, which is not very Batman if you ask me. That being said, Read James Tynion’s run right now starting at issue 86 if you haven’t its amazing and only 5 issues in.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with the analysis that King’s Batman who constantly gets bailed out by Catwoman. Yes, Catwoman helps him - but getting help from the family is an important part of Batman, to me, and because this run is about Batman and Catwoman trying to figure out a way forward in their relationship, it makes sense that she would help him as part of becoming part of the family.

The characterization is different from previous Batman writers - but I would say Snyder is also different, as is Morrison. All of them have a distinctive voice. If you don’t like King’s that’s totally fair, but I found it deeply engaging and inspiring.

4 Likes

I enjoyed it as well. I would wait to pick up my books at the comic shop so I could read it like a trade. I’m not one to drop a book because a bad story arc. It stinks when you’ve loved a writers other work and hope it does good on other titles.

2 Likes

King’s Batman felt far truer to the Batman I’ve read for decades than Snyder’s ever did. Then again, “my” Batman is the pre-Zero Hour Batman, not the unlikeable block of wood from the mid-90s to mid-00s, so maybe that’s my problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I can’t wait on my deluxe to arrive in a few days!

2 Likes

when you start reading it tell us more on what you think about it

1 Like

Alrighty :+1:

It’s my favorite Batman run. Not sure why it gets so much hate.

5 Likes

I think the suicide storyline isn’t my favorite, but it’s pretty in line with what Snyder did with the same feelings for Zero Year (Bruce trying to erase his memory with electroshock).

Killing the Riddler isn’t a change, to me - it’s a one time mistake, very early in his career.

I can totally see the argument about Flashpoint Batman…but it’s not souring Bruce’s Father’s legacy. Flashpoint Batman is not our Bruce’s father. His Bruce is dead.

Batman doesn’t lose almost every fight. He wins in the titanic battle against Bane’s forces in I Am Suicide, he wins vs. most of his rogues. He loses at very key points, yes, but if he always won, what is the struggle? And if you’re talking about Catwoman helping him…I have no problems with his family helping him. And he tends to strike the last, deciding blow in those fights, particularly in the final issue.

I don’t think it was change for the sake of change - it felt like King writing within his style, with a lot of honoring previous stories. Perhaps not the stories people would have preferred him to honor, but there’s a lot of continuity kept or even rediscovered in that run.

5 Likes

We clearly disagree but I appreciate your reasoned argument.

1 Like