Tom King Batman

Like someone else said Batman 37 is one of my favorite single issues ever. There’s also an issue with professor pyg that I absolutely love from his run. It’s about what’s actually going through Batmans head when he’s in a situation and his entire thought process

5 Likes

I think it started out good but, it ran out of steam to me. A lot of the later arcs seem disjointed and his style of writing got repetitive.

2 Likes

I liked it in the beginning, issues 51-57 in particular. After that it gets REALLY slow (Knightmares in particular), up until about issue 75. Then it gets pretty good again, although the ending wasn’t perfect in my opinion.

2 Likes

I absolutely love his run, I’m currently reading through the deluxe editions now. Most of the complaints I see have to do with not liking change or wanting more action and I will say there’s quite a bit of change to characters but I wouldn’t call their actions out of character more like character progression which can be a polarizing topic with legacy characters. As for action, the run very much works off of story and dialogue as does most of King’s work. It’s definitely a better read when you can binge it as it kind of has an episodic, TV feel to it. I suggest reading some of it through your prefered means (Print or online) and decide for yourself. If you like it, great, if not then that’s ok too. The best part of comics is getting to read what you love and not worrying about the rest.

5 Likes

Is the Cat/Bat romance good

3 Likes

I think so. It kind of feels like a sitcom or drama at times which I actually love even though I usually don’t care for romance in comics. King does a very good job of showing how a serious relationship can affect Batman. I was actually reading through it while play the Telltale game and the romance is pretty similar but obviously a lot deeper. If you’ve read Hush this is a pretty good follow up to the Bat/Cat relationship in that.

4 Likes

I dug it from the Batman: Rebirth one-shot that begins the series until #58. After that, it started to plod along, got progressively uninteresting and made me drop the regular Batman ongoing (regardless of volume or continuity) for the first time since 2004.

I’m biased, but my favorite issues are those drawn by David Finch. The “I am” trilogy works very well too.

3 Likes

I agree that I didn’t like changes but not because I’m incapable (I know that wasn’t your point), I am just sick of change for the sake of change. I’m also sick of every writer deconstructing Batman. It’s been done. Someone needs to reconstruct him.
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
I take issue with the suicide storyline. Not because a person in Bruce’s situation wouldn’t experience those thoughts and feelings but because that just isn’t Bruce.
I also take huge issue with him trying to kill Riddler in War of Jokes and Riddles. That is a massive change to Bruce’s character and again it just isn’t Bruce. .
Gotham and Gotham Girl. I consider them the worst new characters in a long long time. They were the catalyst for this entire run and didn’t earn their level of importance. And god, those names. Ugh.
Bat/Cat dialogue. If I had to listen to these two talk to each other in real life I would lose my mind. And I like them together.
The use of Flashpoint Batman. I know Bruce came to realizations in the end but this just sours his father’s legacy and further confuses the state of the DCU timeline.
Batman losing almost every fight. Then at the end making it all part of the plan felt disjointed and a cop out.
Bruce’s secret identity. He keeps his name and life about as private as the Kardashians. Seriously, every villain and ally knows he’s Bruce.
The length. This story felt never ending and I legitimately got sick of reading it.
The good.
I’m glad Bruce and Selina are together.
I personally do not like Finch’s work but most of the art was fantastic.

This may not make sense but sometimes a creative team puts their stamp on a character but you don’t notice until it’s over. King’s run started with him all but screaming “this is my stamp” and that changes the game. Changes for the sake of change. To me, it felt like he wrote not for us to remember this era of Batman but for us to remember Tom King.

3 Likes

I liked it. I like writers who try different approaches to the medium, it’s why I loved Morrison’s run, and a lot of people complained about that as well. Just try it and dont worry about other’s opinion of it.

3 Likes

That’s good advice

3 Likes

Tom King’s run was a great one, definitely one of my all-time favorites.

5 Likes

I thought so, but I’ve been wrong before.

1 Like

Same

1 Like

With it for the double date issue alone

7 Likes

I’d have to disagree but like I said before, that’s the fun of it: having your own opinion. I just hate seeing people swayed one way or the other before they experience it just because they’ve heard or read other people’s opinions. It changes our initial impressions, whether it makes us look for flaws or miss them. I know that’s no one’s goal here but it’s a result of it.

3 Likes

Well put!

2 Likes

For sheer length and the pressure of the biweekly schedule, it was a run full of ups and downs but NOT highs and lows(make sense?) I just finished up Mark Grunwald’s EPIC Captain America run, was it all “cap gives up the shield” awesome? Heck no. Was it all “cap-wolf” what the heck? No again. But dude had 10 plus years to tell his tales and he spin them all King gets, what, 4,5? All n all, I liked it. And in the era of creators just stickin around to fill a hardcover or 2 before moving on, I respect the effort.

3 Likes

I’m gonna try his run. I ordered from B and N the first Rebirth Deluxe

2 Likes

Tom King’s Batman is my favorite run of comics in history of comics. If you’re interested in the Batman/Catwoman relationship, this is the run for you. King has said many times he draws a lot of the Bat/Cat relationship from his own. Which I think is really cute. I love King’s writing in general, but this Batman run is just SO good. It doesn’t always play out the way you want it to, but things work out in their own way eventually. I’ve read this series three times through and I love picking up individual issues to read at any time! For my birthday last year, I was gifted the first four deluxe editions and I have the fifth on preorder right now. In my opinion, Tom King’s Batman run is a must read.

5 Likes

Yay! I just finished both of the Telltale Batman games and am in need of more BatCat love. I literally just rewatched Batman Hush for that purpose and am currently reading Hush while I wait on my first Deluxe to arrive.

3 Likes