Titans "Jericho" SPOILERS!

Deathstroke set up the fight with Dick by starting the fight with Donna and not killing her. By leaving her alive he kinda sent that message to him saying “come get me”. He knew that by doing that, Dick would follow Jericho to the meeting and that upon seeing Dick there it would discredit him because he promised he wouldn’t show up. Deathstroke played him all the way from the beginning.
As far Jericho getting killed by Deathstroke. That was clearly unintentional. Jericho ran up on him to stop him from killing Dick and as anyone whos been in a fight knows, that in the heat of the action, if someone runs up on you, you end up swinging without really looking and that can sometimes lead to a really bad outcome.
I think it was clear that Dick really cared for Jericho more than Deathstroke because when that concussion grenade was thrown, Dick ran straight to it to protect Jericho, while Deathstroke just stood there and watched (which was a really weak move on Deathstrokes part. I mean who uses their son as bait in a fight)
But regardless, I think Hawk and Dove are super weak for not understanding or trying to hear out what really happened there.

5 Likes

I hope he didn’t jump into Jason cause that kiss between him and Rose would be awkward

1 Like

I’m thrilled that we’re getting what I want from a Teen Titans live-action series in this season. The show’s Godfather Part II -esque structure across the episodes can be a bit jarring, but the story is great. I am wondering just how many more skeletons are hidden in the Titans Tower costume closet. Maybe we’ll get a flashback to the brutal murder of Bette Kane’s Bat-Girl at the hands of Ding-Dong Daddy in Season 3. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, yeah, he’s shown to be of equal raw strength to Donna Troy. They go straight force on force to a stalemate several times in their fight; if she were stronger, she would have been able to move him or even throw him across the room, but she doesn’t. So if she can lift a tank or a truck, so can he.

So, in the 5 years since Deathstroke killed Jillian and her entourage, maimed Donna, and beat down Batman’s ward and sidekick, have both the Amazons (who presumably still maintain a presence in Man’s World) and Batman just ignored this guy’s continued existence and freedom? Maybe Batman would just file him away to deal with when he shows up as a problem again, but I would think he would have had to be dodging Themysciran hit squads the whole time since, even if Wonder Woman didn’t feel like finding him and popping his head off was quite the right response.

3 Likes

I honestly didn’t expect Donna to go down during the fight. Reason being she’s obviously been to Themy because of her conversations with Jillian.

With that in mind, you’d think she might have gotten extensive training in hand 2 hand combat.

For example, in our current run of Batman :batman_hv_6: (Tom King’s) Batman chooses Wonder Woman over Superman to aid him in defending against the horde (because they were giving The Gentlemen a vacation).

Reason being is because he said Diana was trained for hand to hand combat and simply the best in these circumstances. You’d think the same would apply to Donna to a certain extent - that and her actually having meta human powers rather than Dick who didn’t.

3 Likes

The amazon guards reminded me of Mercy Graves, who sometimes was an Amazon.

Why wasn’t they’re a cameo by Young Rose. She told Jason.about the record Joey had, so she must have been living with him.around this time.

1 Like

Awesome episode! So well written, a great story with superhero in it, not just a superhero story.

I was cheering Deathstoke’s staff,that was a cool nod to the older comics.

@Cesaro, that was a great interpretation of this episode.

This was a fantastic episode. I was disappointed in “Honk and Donk” (watch DC Daily). You don’t get to play half the game and then call it when you get uncomfortable.

2 Likes

you’re actually betting 500 bucks on that? because I will 100 percent take that bet. that’s ludicrous. for whatever reason, gar is a fan favorite. maybe because so many titans fans are legacy audience of that crappy cartoon network cartoon, and they watched it when they were young, and small children like a class clown character. whatever the reason, he’s got more plot armor than Iron Man.

this is yet another episode that would probably be a little easier to enjoy if I were completely unaware of Donna Troy’s power in other media. whatever, I just have to accept that in this universe, wonder girl is barely stronger than a reasonably strong regular person, and themysciran combat training doesn’t confer hand to hand superiority over a guy whose training came from the military. or another guy trained by batman, which is at least plausible.

apart from that, it was a good one, but I really hope it means we’re done with flashbacks.

3 Likes

If they stick somewhat close to the comics, then Rose’s mom is Lillian Worth and Jericho is her half brother. In the comics, Slade hooks up with Lillian after the divorce, so the timeline wouldn’t really be right, given what we can tell from the series. I’m going to guess that here she was the product of an affair - and that she learned about Jericho later, after coming into contact with Slade. I’m guessing she’s at least nominally on the run from Slade (whether it’s true or not, I couldn’t guess at this point).

2 Likes

I am also completely done with flashbacks. I hate them with a passion. If it was worth showing in a flashback, it was worth showing chronologically and starting the story from there - I’m not opposed to time jumps forward. If not - dispose of it through character interaction in the present time, and move on with the story.

1 Like

Some thoughts and observations on this episode:

• Donna isn’t an Amazon, so I don’t get why people expect her to be stronger than a normal human being or able to beat somebody like Deathstroke who has been physically enhanced

• The same thing applies to Dick, and the only reason he didn’t go down as quickly as Donna is because Slade was trying to make his death a spectacle in order to prove a point to Jericho

• Something I found interesting is that, in the Titans universe, Adeline and Space actually named their son Jericho instead of that moniker being a nickname or codename.

• I liked the “possession effect” the VFX team came up with for Jericho’s powers; being able to physically inhabit someone’s body and control their actions is something that is going to be a lot easier to convey in a work of literature, and so for it to work as well as it does here is really neat

• There’s a part of me that wants to say that Jericho isn’t dead and that we’ll somehow see him in the present, but this show has demonstrated that it’s not afraid to hire pretty high-profile performers and then kill off the characters they’re playing after only a few appearances, so we’ll see what happens

• Esai Morales is a phenomenal actor who really hasn’t aged ,and he’s absolutely perfect in this role

• I’m confused as to exactly why Jericho dying was the catalyst for the original Titans disbanding, but whatever

• I like that, although Titans S2 has 11 Series Regulars, it only credits those who appear in a given episode

6 Likes

Donna has said to Kori on the stakeoout that she was only half human. We don’t know nore rhan that but it gives the writers to up her powers as they wish

Rise recognized Jerico’s handwriting on the rrcord. That suggests some interactions.

Most books on.writing say dont use flashbacks. It stops the storyline. Consider starting the story earlier.

1 Like

Donna is half amazonian born to a human father but i agree she wasn’t going to beat Deathstroke but should of definitely put up a better fight.

3 Likes

Didn’t see the body at the end. Maybe that means he’s going to make a comeback :woman_shrugging:. Either way I hope this means we will see the growth Dick can gain by finally dealing with his guilt and grief over Jericho and being a better brother to Jason.

4 Likes

Deathstroke has certainly held his own against full blooded Amazons before…

5 Likes

No, she’s not.

I just looked up her various retconned origins, and you’re getting her mixed up with Cassie Sandsmark.

Titans’ version of the character draws on the original pre-Crisis version of her story where she’s a human orphan whose parents died in a fire.

4 Likes

I think in the show she referred to herself as “half-amazon” earlier this season.

3 Likes