Think You Know Nightwing? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

DIck Grayson was meant to be a Talon for the Court of Owls because it turns out Hayley’s Curcius had been supplying the Court with athletically gifted children for years. However, Dick Grayson was able to avoid this following the death of his parents, where he would then go to live with Bruce Wayne. - Batman Vol. 2 #7

Dick Grayson’s Great Grandfather was a talon. - Batman Vol. 2 #7

Dick Grayson’s Great Grandfather’s last name wasn’t Grayson, it was Cobb (William Cobb) - Batman Vol. 2 #7

Dick was fired from his role as Robin after he was shot In the shoulder by the Joker. This frightened Bruce and therefore ordered Dick to relinquish the Robin mantle. -https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Robin-leave-Batman

Based on a conversation the two had, Superman inspired Dick to adopt the superhero name, Nightwing. This was after Dick gave up the role of Robin based on the demand of Batman, which caused him to feel unsure about his future career in crime fighting. Therefore, Superman told Dick about a man from Krypton who was cast out by his family just as Dick had been. He told Dick that this man protected the helpless of Krypton, all while concealing his identity, he was known only as Nightwing, which then inspired Dick to adopt that same name. - https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Richard_Grayson_(New_Earth)

After Bruce “died” In Final Crisis, Nightwing took up the mantle of the Bat following the events of the Battle for the Cowl storyline. Afterward, Dick had named Damian Wayne the new Robin, which greatly angered Tim Drake, the third Robin, who was Bruce’s partner before he died. However, Dick explained to Tim that he is not his protege, he is his equal. - Red Robin #1

1 Like

Nightwing’s favorite food is cereal.

His name is based on a kpytonian legend and Superman once used the name.

In kpytonian myth Nightwing had a partner called Flamebird, but this Nightwing never agreed with Bette Kane (Flamebird) to be official partners.

Dick Grayson sported a long rat-tail hair style (which he claimed to be a pony tail) at one point (a hair style that made no logical sense because the tail part would go all the way to, like, his knees, and was sleek but then magically when he put his hair down he had thick luxurious shoulder length hair) which was cut off during a fight in Nightwing (1996-) #1 (p15). He lamented it for one speech bubble before declaring he was getting tired of it anyway.

Dick Grayson is the only person other than Alfred Pennyworth that Bruce Wayne has ever been completely open about his feelings. Dick Grayson has seen and heard more of Batmans personal thoughts than any other character. Bruce Wayne considers Dick Grayson the only trust worthy person in his realm of acquaintances.
Note: I haven’t made it to rebirth yet, so I don’t know if this status quo changes, or even if him and Damians relationship get to that same place as Bruce and Dick.

Edit to my last post:
See Nightwing (2011; New 52) issue #30 for Bruce telling Dick he is the only person he can trust. Batman was so hurt over Dicks percieved death. Throughout Forever Evil Arc, all he was worried about was getting Dick Grayson out alive.

As Robin, Dick stated that he doesn’t “do pop” and was “going through a post-punk phase. Vinyl only.” -Batgirl #15 (Nov 2017)

In the Flashpoint, Dick Grayson stayed with the circus. His parents died later, and he took on the Helmet of Nabu, becoming Dr. Fate. – Deadman and the Flying Graysons, Issue #3, page 18 (final page, counting by hand).

In Grayson, after multiple “flirtations” with Midnighter, is Dick questioning his sexual orientation when he asks Tiger “Am I straight?” – Grayson, Issue #9 (“Nemesis” issue 1), page 9 (interestingly, Tiger doesn’t answer). In “A Ghost from the Tomb” part 1 in Grayson (Issue #13), he says, “But there is someone else who owes me a favor, and my charms do work on HIM.” page 15. (PS, Queer fans want to know!)

2 Likes

Terrific sourcing, @benneuby100.51371!

1 Like

Admit it, @caitiemm. You miss the rattail.

1 Like

Now we KNOW that’s not true, @ChulloNinja. After all, Batman trusts me!

1 Like

@FlyinGrayson281 Good to know his musical tastes! Or at least what he’ll admit to.

Marv Wolfman initially didn’t like the name Nightwing.
He suggested several names, and Nightwing was the only one that was approved.

Source: Comics Buyers Guide #527 (front page)