Think You Know Nightwing? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

Source?

1 Like

Dick Grayson is the only person alive in the dcu who can preform a quadruple somersault.

It was this reason that Tim Drake was able to identify him and Bruce Wayne as Robin and Batman.

4 Likes

Why did the creators change Robin to Nightwing. Marv Wolfman offered an explanation on the “Titanic Minds: Reuniting Wolfman and Perez” special feature on the “Teen Titans: The Judas Contract” Blu-ray.

Wolfman explained that others at DC wanted Robin back for the Batman comic line. Wolfman proposed what he called a " win-win" situation: The Batman writers could have Robin back if he and Perez could keep Dick Grayson.

And that not only led to the storyline in which Dick Grayson became Nightwing, but the introduction of Jason Todd as the new Robin.

3 Likes

Don’t you mean Ric?

1 Like

Nightwing is a pimp and hooked up with at least 3 of the hottest females in the DC Universe. Batgirl, originally in the late 70s/ early 80s in Detective Comics and the Batman Family, also in his own comic, Nightwing. Starfire, in the early and mid 80s in The New Teen Titans and even Harley Quinn in the animated movie, Batman and Harley

~Dick Grayson adopted the persona of Nightwing after hearing about, and being inspired by the Kryptonian legend of “Nightwing and Flamebird”, from Superman.

(1963) In Pre- Crisis, Superman, (Kal-el) himself, having no superpowers, was the first to don the name Nightwing, while on Kandor; and Jimmy Olsen was Flamebird.

(2001) In Post-Crisis, Superman again assumed the identity of Nightwing, (on a reformed Krypton), but this time, it was Lois Lane who became Flamebird.~

:blue_heart:

Here is my reference:

https://comicbook.com/dc/2017/02/23/every-nightwing-in-dc-comics-history/

2 Likes

Batman told Dick that he’s going to lead the Justice League one day. - Source: Titans (2016-) #19, pgs 16-17 on DCU

Dick broke four world records in a single great leap (unofficially): the free fall altitude record, the human balloon flight altitude record, the longest free fall record, and the fastest free fall record. - Source: Nightwing (1996-) #151, pg 20 on DCU

Richard Grayson received an 86% performance rating on his Haven County Police Academy final evaluation. Comments included: ‘he had little enthusiasm for anything involving firearms’ and 'he performed well in PT and unarmed combat sessions, but in each case his instructors felt he was holding back or not giving one hundred percent (Pre-Flashpoint DCU). - Source: Nightwing Secret Files (1999-) #1, pg 48

Dick Grayson is 5’10 and 175 lbs. - Source: Nightwing Secret Files (1999-) #1, pg 24 on DCU

Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon’s wedding was delayed for a little while due to an earthquake (Pre-Flashpoint DCU). - Source: Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle (2015-) #2, pg 23 on DCU

Dick’s ‘final exam’ to be Robin was to keep Batman from finding him until sunrise. - Source: Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet (1997-) #1, pg 13 on DCU

Nightwing was almost killed in Infinite Crisis, but the creative team didn’t want him to die. They described Dick Grayson as ‘the soul, the linchpin of the DCU’ and ‘the natural leader of the DCU.’ - Source: Infinite Crisis hardcover, Infinite Discussions and http://www.titanstower.com/how-nightwing-almost-died-in-infinite-crisis/

Nightwing was ranked as the #1 Sexiest Male Character in Comics by ComicsAlliance in 2013. - Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20151018024021/http://comicsalliance.com/comics-sexiest-male-characters

3 Likes

The kryptonian identity of Nightwing made a resurgence as Zod’s Son!

@DanTheManOne1 That’s some good history for those who prefer their heroes bottled! VERIFIED!

@Nathan.Payson I can verify your grappling stick and landline facts from Nightwing #44! But I’ll need some sources for the others.

@mightyblackdragon.80309 Wow, that’s a REALLY good fact! One that really sets Dick Grayson apart, and important to his history! But can you get me a source?

1 Like

@BWMorris Straight from the Wolfman’s mouth… I love it! Thanks for this great source!

1 Like

@c02goddess.16092 THESE. ARE. AWESOMESAUCE! VERY original facts, with AMAZING sourcing! This is some truly 5th dimensional work!

1 Like

The Kryptonian identity of Nightwing made a resurgence as Zod’s Son!
Action Comics #883

In Nightwing Rebirth, he almost was going to become a father only the pregnancy test failed under his new love the Defacer!
Nightwing (2016) #20

Thanks, @Nathan.Payson!

@mightyblackdragon.80309’s fact about Dick performing the quadruple flip of doom is in Batman (1940-) #436, pg 16, and Tim Drake explained how he identified Dick as Robin because Robin did the same quad somersault (only 3 people could do it) in Batman (1940-) #441, pgs 14-15.

2 Likes

Alfred told Bruce, “You know how highly I think of you and your abilities. But [Dick Grayson] could make you better. He could BE better. A hero forged in the light.” Source: Detective Comics #1000, The Precedent, pg 3

In the circus, Dick grew up with an elephant named Zitka. Years later, Zitka saved Dick’s life by pulling him away from a big top fire. - Sources: The Titans (1999-) #16, pgs 2-3 and Nightwing (1996-) #88, pgs 8 and 21

Dick Grayson and Wally West are best friends, and Dick was Wally’s best man at both of Wally’s weddings to Linda Park. - Sources: Titans: Rebirth (2016-) #1, pg 7; Nightwing (1996-) #88, pg 6; The Flash Plus (1996-) #1, pg 3 ; The Flash (1987-) #142, pgs 13 and 19; The Flash (1987-) #159, pg 13

In order to convince Commissioner Gordon that his daughter Barbara wasn’t Batgirl, Robin posed as Batgirl as he and Batman met the Commissioner at the Bat Signal. - Source: Batgirl: Year One (2002-) #9, pg 21

In Tom King’s ranking of Batfamily hand-to-hand fighting skills, Nightwing is better than Batman. (#1 Cassandra, #2 Dick, #3 Bruce) - Source: @TomKingTK https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/833702769487917057?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^833702769487917057&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbr.com%2Fbatman-tom-king-batfamily-best-fighter%2F

Dick taught and/or played the Cluemaster’s Code game with the other Robins and Batgirl. The game was later used to help Dick break into Spyral’s hypnos. - Source: Grayson (2014-) #12, pgs 14, 18, 21-24

Dick has a brotherly relationship with the other Robins (Jason, Tim, and Damian). - Source: Grayson (2014-) #12, pgs 12-14; Nightwing (2016-) #42, pgs 4-21, Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual (2017-) #1, pg 12-13, 16, 33

Damian told Dick, “So far I’d say you’ve been my favorite partner. We were the best, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks.” - Sources: Batman Incorporated (2012-) #8, pg 12; Grayson (2014-) #12, pgs 19 and 24

3 Likes

That’s some super sleuthing, @c02goddess.16092! I’m afraid the title of World’s Greatest Detective is already taken, but there’s room in the top ten.

3 Likes

Action comics #642, I think? He was originally considered to take up the mantel of Green Lantern in place of Abin-Sur but he was busy being Robin so Hal Jordan was chosen instead.

5 Likes

Nightwing is one of my favorite characters, and trying to recall fun facts about him is, well, fun. :slight_smile:

Dick Grayson was declared Bruce Wayne’s legal and lawful son and heir on May 16, 2001. - Source: Batman: Gotham Knights (2000-) #17, pg 22

Rebirth Superman described Dick Grayson as the ‘multiversal constant’ - the least changed from the version [he] knew. Always confident, always kind, always cool. This idea is supported further when Infinite Crisis era Batman asked Earth-2 Superman, “Is the Dick Grayson of my earth a corrupted version of yours?” Earth-2 Superman admitted, “No.” - Sources: Nightwing (2016-) #9, pg 23 and Infinite Crisis (2005-) #3, pg 24

According to Superman, the ‘Nightwing bump’ is a reference to Nightwing’s vouching for someone being worth its weight in gold. - Source: Nightwing (2016-) #9, pg 23

During No Man’s Land, Batman asked Nightwing to infiltrate Blackgate Prison and wrest control from the villainous Lock-up. Nightwing succeeded. - Sources: Nightwing (1996-) #35, pgs 5-7 and Nightwing (2016-) #37, pg 19

After Batman was presumed dead, Ra’s al Ghul and Nightwing dueled in the desert. Nightwing kicked Ra’s in the face, winning. In return, Ra’s gave Nightwing the sword he’d won with and addressed him as ‘Detective,’ a title Ra’s typically used for Bruce. - Source: Nightwing (1996-) #152, pgs 21-23

Batgirl gave Nightwing a ‘rolling Batcave’ stocked with super unhealthy cereal, gym stuff, a turntable with records, and a new motorcycle! - Source: Nightwing Annual (2018-) #1, pgs 24-26

–>Oops! I forgot Tim’s specific reference for this item in my last post. Corrected (added Red Robin)!
Dick has a brotherly relationship with the other Robins (Jason, Tim, and Damian). - Sources: Grayson (2014-) #12, pgs 12-14; Nightwing (2016-) #42, pgs 4-21, Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual (2017-) #1, pgs 12-13, 16, 33; and Red Robin (2009-) #12, pg 17

6 Likes