Themyscira: Discuss Wonder Woman, Amazons, & more!

My first Wonder woman encounter was the comic book in the early seventies that then lead me to all things Wonder woman. Loved the series had the doll and when all seemed dire George Perez reboot lured me in again.

2 Likes

I finished Wonder Woman: The True Amazon this morning. Wow. That was a seriously good book.

2 Likes

@VroomI was thinking of buying it but there were so many Wonder Woman origin stories around the time it came out. There was the movie, Greg Rucka’s Year One, and Grant Morrison’s Earth One. Now that it’s a couple years later I might give it a shot soon.

1 Like

Has anyone else read Earth One?

I checked it out on Hoopla. I might buy it when the next WW sale rolls around.

I’ve read both of the WW Earth One books and liked them greatly. I am biased to Morrison though.

I really liked them too. It was great how the opening delved into the actual Greek Mythology of the Amazons concerning Hercules. This was close to the spirit of William Moulton Marsden’s original.

1 Like

Happy Amazon Monday

orntz4.jpg

3 Likes

Djd, I have that calendar too! high five

1 Like

I need to read Earth One WW. Adds it to my list.

1 Like

Vroom high 5 received & “clap” yep we nailed it. That calendars awesome isn’t it? I tried to use different ones for my avatar but they don’t fit the :o: as good as my Selina does. They’ve had some great ones, I love that there all covers too.

1 Like

Just caught up on posts here. 87benlewis &Vroom. The True Amazon is great I agree. As I’ve said b4 I really like Greg Ruckas too. I just love all things Amazonian I guess? It’s hard for me not to like the reason I became a DC fan as a kid. WW locked me in on Super Friends then I bought Joker issue 1 in 1983 at a flea market. I actually bought like 5 that day, but I bought Joker 1st & read it 1st which is why it’s my answer to 1st comic I ever bought. I bought Joker, Hawkman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow & The New Teen Titans. They were all random except Joker issue one 1975.

TurokSonOfStone1950

Yes, the Robert Kirkman Secret history of comics went into quite a lot of detail about the bondage & it’s origins too. Once again, I encourage “ALL” comic book fans to watch that series. Highly entertaining & extremely informative on every character/artist; writer, company, etc and so on that they selected for each show in that series. The WW, or I should say, the William Moulton Marston episode was extremely informative. Lynda Carter explains how shocked she was to learn his background, & the reason WW was bound by her own lasso on every other page for the most part. I won’t give spoilers but if you’re a WW fan that’s a must see episode & a must see series for comic fans.

1 Like

@djd187

I just looked up the series you mentioned in Google. I didn’t know about that series.

Thank you for the information.

There was also a movie about Wonder Woman’s creator, Marston, his wife and his mistress recently.

His mistress used to wear brackets like Diana, She looked like Diana.

Her mother was a famous suffragette, free love and birth control advocate, and abandoned her daughter to foster care, to pursue her ideals full time.

Marston, his wife, his mistress and the original artist, all were involved in the women’s movement.

Suffragette illustrations were always showing women in ball and chains, often bursting these chains to gain freedom.

Jill Lepore, author of the Secret History of Wonder Women, accepts that the bondage in early Wonder Woman comics partially comes from these images from the movement. As she says, “You can’t break out of chains to freedom, if the chains are not depicted.”

She also acknowledged that Marston wrote about Dominance and Submission, as natural for both sexes.

The Marston family denies that Marston put these ideas into practice.

It was more that the three lived together, the mistress taking care of the children, while the wife pursued her professional goal, unencumbered from housewife and rearing children matters.

3 Likes

TurokSonOfStone1950

No problem. Yeah I saw that movie. They give a ton more info on that Kirkman series too. He had a student move in with him & his wife when he was a professor & she introduced him to Sororities & the hazing that took place. That’s where he got the idea for Etta Candy & the girls assisting WW in the first releases & even included a part where she (Etta) puts the girls over her knee & spanks em. He saw it at the sorority his student/lover brought him to. They were spanking recruits for being spotted on campus not carrying an item that slips my mind at the moment. I think it was a book bag or something. Then, as u said, she got him into bondage & the heads of DC had to step in & tell him to cool it on the WW being tied up on every other pg. thing. The belief was the wife wasn’t fully into the lifestyle but she went along with it out of her love for him. Him & the student had a child & they raised her as him & his wife’s to the outside world. The student was his guinea pig for his 1st lie detector tests. It’s pretty crazy, in the early WW comics u can see all the influences. Etta Candy is on call for assisting WW with a group of her sorority sisters. They give a ton of inside knowledge on that series. Every episode is worth watching. There’s a great one about the falling out between Jack Kirby & Stan Lee/Marvel. One about Dwayne McDuffie & Milestone Media producing the 1st all black comic team up for DC with Static Shock etc. I’ll stop now, but yeah every episode is truly amazing. I kept seeing ads for it on AMC so I set DVR & recorded them all, I watched 1st episode live & it was so good I watched all of them live after that. I figured it would be on again so I erased them after about 2 months & I’ve never seen them anywhere since. I will watch them again tho loads of information I never knew. Lots of celebrity cameos too.

Just watched the episode on Wonder Woman, by Robert Kirkman, as described above. Payed I.99 to watch on Google.

Great selection of commentators, like Patty. Jenkins, Linda Carter, Lucy Lawless, Trina Robbins, as well as descendants of the Marston family.

There are some risque scenes that can’t be authenticated, but the story sounds true.

It was sad to hear how it affected the four children from the two women and Marston involved, and the coverups that they did to live as a family unit.

In the end, it is a love story, with three people involved.

1 Like

Yes good description, it is kinda sad. Especially when they put up those black & white pics when there talking about how it effected the family.

1 Like

I am thoroughly confused about the power sets of the Amazons, Donna Troy and Diana.

Amazons undergo constant military training, but what is the typical Amazon’s strength, endurance and agility? Batman level, Captain America, Aquaman or Even higher?

Does Artemis have only the abilities of a typical Amazon?

In the comic book Titans, Donna Troy can’t fly, nor does she have her lasso. She seems strong, but maybe not super strong. Certainly she is as good as any Amazon, but where did she get her skill set? The Amazons are in another dimension and Diana never could have visited the Amazons after she left them, according to current canon. So how could Donna have been trained by the Amazons or have her memory wiped out by them? In current comic book canon, Donna was made out of clay and was designed to have the ability to kill Diana. Did she get her abilities at creation?

Finally every Amazon wears bracelets, to remind them that they once were slaves to men. Can every Amazon do Bullets and Bracelets, as in the traditional Contest to become Wonder Woman ?

Where did they gets guns to practice with? Did Amazons send spies to get intelligence and technology from Man’ World. Is that why Wonder Woman got her invisible plane, or was the knowledge developed independently.? Is that why they know every language?

There have been stories that the brackets restrict Diana’s powers, so she does not go berserk. Is that still canon? Does it apply to other Amazons?

Finally, early Wonder Woman comics had Diana or other women tied up on 27% of the pages. It was said that if her bracelets were bound together by a man, she would be as powerless as a ordinary women. I have images in my head of her breaking ropes, like in the intro to the tv series, but also counter examples. Is that still canon?

How do you get close enough to Diana to tie her up anyway, because the tying action must be completed? Nowadays, she is usually knocked unconscious and remains that way until the plot requires her to be conscious. Even her golden lasso is not used to hold her, even though it is unbreakable and can cause people within it to remain still and tell the truth, as with Steve Trevor in the film.

The reason I ask is that I have a fan fiction story, which I might link to, where Batman, who is an accomplished escape artist (he was trained by Zatanna’s father, among others), teaches Diana on how to escape handcuffs etc. Wally, upon hearing that Bruce watches Diana as she struggles, imagines the event in his head, and has to take a cold shower immediately. It is a good story, except for the identity of the villain and only because Diana’ origins changed. But are such stories allowed any more?

I think we are steering off course a little here, guys and gals. This thread started as a Wonder Woman appreciation thread and we took it down a very different route. I appreciate the information that has been provided and I found it very educational ( I would be totally down to read that fan fiction over on the appropriate threads, @TurokSonOfStone1950) but I would really like if we could get back to what the creator actually asked. :slight_smile:

My first run in with the amazing Diana was the wonderfully, beautiful Linda Carter. As much as I love Gal Gadot, Linda will always be my Wonder Woman!

3 Likes

At least people are posting on it. I start a thread & it’s like 2 comments & just sits there. I literally have one right now that I’ve been talking to myself on for a few weeks & nobodies seen it yet.

I love all of the onscreen amazons - Donna Troy (Titans), Linda Carter, Gal Gadot, Antiope, Queen Hyppolyta, etc.
Antiope was barely in the WW movie, and she still made such an impact on me.