Themyscira: Discuss Wonder Woman, Amazons, & more!

My sister and I would watch the Lynda Carter re-runs and twirl around in the house to mimic turning into Wonder Woman. The theme song for the WW series was so fun and catchy.

3 Likes

@JLWWSM the run @Djd187 was talking about is an earlier one than rebirth that Rucka worked on. Rebirth was in 2016-17. The first time he wrote WW was in 2004-06. After the Graphic novel Heketeia he took over her monthly book. It is collected in trade paper back form in Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka volumes 1-2. Volume 1 includes Heketeia also.

3 Likes

@Djd187 my favorite character from Ruckaā€™s arc that I would love to see show up in animation or film would be Ferdinand, Dianaā€™s personal chef to herself and her embassy staff. Since he is a Centaur, he brings some of the more mythological elements into her life outside Themiscara.

2 Likes

Medusa would be a great character to include in her movies too.

2 Likes

87benlewis

Thank u for fielding that question for me, I fell asleep b4 I saw it. I love Ferdinand too. The Medusa arc was such good reading & I loved that Silver Swan was in it. Multiple arcs going on all at once in that series & loved the art. Gotta love a centaur that can mike a 5 star dish.

3 Likes

I just saw the odyssey of the Amazons question Iā€™ve read that. Sorry Vroom I didnā€™t notice it last night or I wouldā€™ve commented.

2 Likes

The first time I really started to love wonder woman was when I saw her in BvS just the way she came in to save batman and the way she fights just makes me love the character more

4 Likes

Itā€™s okay djd :slight_smile:

Count me in as a fan of both of Ruckaā€™s WW runs. Good, good stuff.

Regarding BvS, I loved how she made her entrance in the climax. She means business with a capital business.

3 Likes

87benlewis / djd187 thanks for the clarification (Iā€™m learning so much on this thread :blush:)

Dckid13 thatā€™s awesome. Her entrance in BvS was epic! My whole theater started cheering when she showed up.

1 Like

Mineā€¦didnā€™t. I thought ā€œYES!ā€ when I saw her and thought the theater would lose it. Nope.

The first time I saw Wonder Woman was issue 30 of Brave and Bold Justice League. I remember the contrast in her uniform from the sleek new costumes of Flash and Green Lantern. She seemed even then to come from another time and place. Diana was as heroic as all the other heroes.

Her own comic book was very strange. Popular was the series called Wonder Family, staring a blond Queen Hippolyta, an adult Diana, a teenage Diana and a very young Diana, All called Wonder, but Woman, Girl and Tot. Donna Troy did not exist. Teenage Diana had boyfriends like Mer Boy and Bird Boy. I donā€™t remember her ever fighting a villain. Bizarre

Wiki has an entry, called Publication History of Wonder Woman. The earliest series is from 1942 to 1986, when the Perez era started. Comixology can show you the covers of all the issues that they have available. I used it find some of the comic books I had once had and liked. If single issue, they go for 1.99.

All the successful attempts at Wonder Women are in our Movie and TV library, except for Gal Gadot. New Frontier and the Animated movie written by Gail Simone are the best of the Animated movies, period.

I donā€™t know if there ever has been Wonder Woman comics that were completely successful, except for those concentrating on her early years, like the recent Year One in Rebirth.

The most successful runs were the relatively recent Allan Heinberg (screen writer of the recent film) and J Michael Straezynski series, the first cut short by deadline issues and the second by Flashpoint. The runs with the best art was by George Perez and John Byrne.

I just bought the earlier Rucka, some William Messner Loebs (with Artemis) , Christopher Priest, and the last issues of John Bryne, where Queen Hippolyta became the Wonder Woman of the 1940s, for five years. The two Christopher Priest issues that followed, 137 and 138 has a black haired Queen Hippolyta happy as a suburban mom of a young son, when a very out of character Diana forces her to remember her old life as Queen. It is heartbreaking.

2 Likes

Ayyyy - A WW thread!

While I do really like WWā€™s character, thereā€™s still a bunch I donā€™t know about her. Iā€™ll have to pop on over here, every so often. It looks like thereā€™s a lot I can learn just from this thread!

4 Likes

thought this was pretty cool.

orntz4.jpg

2 Likes

That is neat. Yours?

1 Like

The first time I was exposed to Woman Woman was when i was little and the old show came on my grandma freaked out and made me obsessed

1 Like

Cool, I think u look great together!!!

1 Like

I wonder if we will see an invisible jet in WW 84ā€™

1 Like

That would be cool @IssacBrown. I was so pumped seeing Koriā€™s invisible jet on Titans, it would be a stellar reveal on the big screen!

1 Like

Wonder Woman came to me naturally because of my interest in characters like Xena and Red Sonja. Ever since I was young, Iā€™ve always loved a warrior woman.

I first saw the character in the Justice League animated series, and I just had to know more about her.

1 Like

Vroom

No, my friend that bought me this site for my birthday sent me that & said check it out I think Iā€™m gonna buy one. Then 2 mins later he texted back & said never mind itā€™s $200.