The Triangle Era Superman Appreciation Thread

I bought the first issue of Shrugged when it came out, but never followed up on it.

1 Like

I remember really enjoying it but haven’t read it since then.

1 Like

Yes I am.

It’s just weird because it was working before, but when I skipped ahead to later in the collection it stopped.

1 Like

I was a massive fan of the Post-Crisis/Triangle era of Superman. This was MY Superman growing up (I was born before it hit but it’s the era I read constantly as a kid)

I always loved that Clark was the real person and Superman was the disguise. I loved he staff of the Daily Planet, including Cat and Ron. I loved Perry and Lex having been old friends. I loved Keith, the kid adopted by Perry and Alice.

There was so much amazing stuff about this era :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I agree! I have always felt that what makes a Superman comic great is the supporting cast. This era highlighted that cast perfectly.

4 Likes

I’m a superman fan and received the death of Superman as a kid from my older sister. I remember buying the funeral for a friend and the reign of supermen storylines around that time. It wasn’t until 10 years later that I realized that I can go back and collect my missing triangle issues for the death storyline. I was excited!

I just noticed that DCU put all the triangle issues in 3 giant collections. I’m going through vol1 now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a.

Hey everyone! Of interest to this topic, I’m currently embarking on an arc by arc read through of the Triangle Era, and would be happy to post them here as I go! The first ten installments are all live, starting here. The first ten installments (getting through Adventures of Superman #491) are available at Comfort Food Comics. Soon I’ll be doing the Death and Return, and I honestly can’t wait.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @corimarie21! Hope you enjoy the great reads, looking forward to seeing you post your thoughts here!

1 Like

Howdy hey, @corimarie21! I too am excited to read your thoughts on Triangle Era Superman tales, as there are many kickass tales throughout the era.

Chime in when able. :clark_hv_4: :superman:

I didn’t realise they had the triangle era as a collection on the service. I’m glad I stumbled across this thread. The books were great, like several others on here, that was an early Supes run for me. But when you’re on an allowance, I always kinda hated the triangle system, because you had to buy every issue to keep up with a story line, instead of buying the individual issues you wanted. It was an interesting idea to link the books, but a major money grab at the expense of the kids.

1 Like

As a kid, I never paid much attention to the triangle numbering.

Granted, Batman was my jam at that time, but when I did buy Superman books in the '90s, I just shrugged off the li’l triangle and focused on the story within. I usually just bought a random issue here or there and I never felt like I missed out.

Especially when Superman #75 came out. I read precisely nothing of the Death of Superman story before that one hit, but when it did I snatched it up and understood everything just fine.

1 Like

I still have a completist streak in me, it was worse when I was young. I felt I HAD to buy every issue or I was missing out on something. I will say this, both DC and Marvel did try to keep in mind the old adage, “every comic is someones first,” so they tried to make sure issues could be singular.

1 Like

If I was a Superman nerd when I was little/in my teens in the '90s, I likely would have bought them all, given the traditonally interconnected narrative in the core books.

DC knows how to hook us. :slight_smile:

1 Like