The Triangle Era Superman Appreciation Thread

Sweet!!! That is the only thing that has stopped me from diving into the Triangle Era.

2 Likes

Well, there’s a ton in the Triangle Era collections to enjoy right now, so don’t let those issues stop you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is very true. I never once thought as a kid that I would have so many comic books at my fingertips ready to be read whenever and wherever. Granted, as a teen my friends and I thought it would be cool if The Grateful Dead would have a building you can go to and transfer concerts onto a small CD. Needless to say, that never happened.

2 Likes

Seeing the Triangle collections was the last straw for me joining DCU. This was my origin story of comics, traveling around to different shops and buying issues to fill out my pre Death Of Superman collection. There are a ton on here that I’ve never read and I can’t wait! I really hope they do plug the holes, I am confident they will as soon as is reasonable.

5 Likes

Welcome to DCU @teaguebrown82.2463! There are so many comics on this service I often get distracted from the series I plan to read when I sit down. The Triangle Era is a great starting point here as we finally have a few collections for easy reading.

2 Likes

Update for 6/22/20:

For parties curious as to why the reading lists in this thread haven’t been updated, it’s due to DCU providing Triangle Era collections over the last few months or so that feature that content in its reading order. I feel that that is ultimately a better Triangle Era resource than this thread.

That said, I offer a huge thank you to @AlexanderKnox for his compiling the existing lists found here, as well as an additional thank you to @Tenzel for his valuable insights.

There are some bumps in each collection that need to be smoothed out, however, it’s been said those are known to the developers and will be corrected. Additional existing Triangle Era content already available on DCU is also said to be in the works for future inclusion in the volume 3 collection.

So, a heads-up for anyone wondering why further updates weren’t posted, who also may not have been aware of the Triangle Era collections being available in the Storylines section of the comic library.

Now you know, and knowing is part of the never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way! :superman_hv_3:

4 Likes

As there are now collections and more coming in the future on DCU I figured we can use this thread as a Triangle Era appreciation thread.
Below are some of my favorite covers from this era of Superman. I will start things off with one of my covers…ever.

2 Likes

That works, as we can never gush too much about this fabled era of Superman lore. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

I started reading the Triangle Era volume 1 and got as far as the Eradicator storyline before I got a but burned out. I wanted to dive back in at a later point, but when I do that I’m no longer getting the next triangle issue as my Read Next title, it’s the next number issue or whatever Super book I just read. Is there a trick to getting the next triangle issue to come up next that I’m missing?

3 Likes

Are you reading from the Triangle Era collections?

I agree. That was an amazing cover. Unfortunately compared to this the actual reveal in the issue was a big disappointment. I quite liked McLeod’s art in this issue but I feel he dropped the ball with the reveal which was the most important page in the story.

It just came off a bit flat somehow and I think he could have done a much better job.

1 Like

Thankfully, we have that iconic cover to overshadow the interior pages.

1 Like

Yeah. Well, I still liked the story and at least we got the proposal page in Superman #50 which I quite liked so I just think of that and this cover when thinking of this era.

1 Like

I know what I am reading after Witchblade!!

1 Like

@D4RK5TARZ I know what you should be reading instead of Witchblade. :wink:

@mrmiracle One temporary fix for that would be to save the next few issues you’re interested in. Going to your saved comics may be a bit easier than constantly having to go back into whichever volume you’re in and picking up from where you left off.

Hopefully a triangle number reading order functionality will be implemented after the necessary removals and additions to the collections are made.

I bought the entire series and the first 2 volumes of TPB of volume 2 from Humblebundle a while back. I figured I might as well read them when all I wanted to see was Michael Turner art and get to Ron Marz run.

1 Like

Turner’s art on Witchblade is indeed impressive.

Soulfire is another female-led book that he was an artistic powerhouse on.

I also bought the Aspen comics bundle which gave me Fathom and Soulfire omnibuses! I love Humble Bundle and Groupees when it comes to buying digital comics!

1 Like

Expertly done, as Fathom would be my next suggestion after Soulfire.

1 Like

That bundle also included Shrugged. This title is often forgotten about but I remember picking up issues weekly at the shop. I believe this is the last Turner story that we got.

1 Like