The Superman Thread

I’m hoping that, from everything I’ve read about Legacy, that the movie features Brainiac in some form. That’s always been my favorite Superman villain (outside of maybe some Mxyzptlk, but that’s maybe not the best approach for a brand new film universe) and Brainiac is definitely due for a big screen debut.

I’m not sure Gunn is the guy to write a Superman film, but he’s saying all the right things, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

4 Likes

That was just fun to me.

2 Likes

I have to say, that isn’t doing it for me.

3 Likes

I agree with @TheRealDetectiveChimp. I think Snyder’s Justice League run is not without its issues, but ultimately it’s just fun, especially when combined with his Metal stuff (which again… has issues, but fun).

I don’t know that Lex has had the arc you’re thinking of in the past 10 years. He tried to be a good guy in the beginning of Rebirth, then switched sides during the whole Perpetua thing, and he’s been getting back to his old self in the past year. My memory fails me as to what he did during New 52. There was Forever Evil with all the other villains, and Darkseid War where he turned into a god for a bit.

There is this short story in Action Comics #1000. Just him and Clark having a conversation that ends in, well, I don’t wanna spoil it for ya :wink:.

3 Likes

In New 52 Lex was the best character in Justice League and their MVP.

He also discovered my secret identity and used it to blackmail by best buddy.

2 Likes

Yeah he is saying all the right things. Coupled with his obvious enthusiasm, I’m really looking forward to what he has to offer.

2 Likes

I own a signed (by King and a few others) Action 1000, and I have to say…I really dislike the Snyder story. But I really dislike most of what Snyder has done with the major exception of Black Mirror and Superman Unchained.

I’m looking for something as scary as Kingpin in Daredevil season 3. Truly diabolical in how he uses his intelligence to hurt people.

3 Likes

God, I don’t remember any of this. No I’m not revisiting it. Got too much to read “on the list”. Just gonna have to take your word for it, Bats.

1 Like

Fair enough :slightly_smiling_face:. That was off memory; I didn’t even realize it was a Snyder tale.

I’ll get off the recommendation train before you start hating me :joy:

4 Likes

There is no hate! I’m just trying to figure out something about Lex and how he’s seen/written today. I think it’s possible that Lex has never really been analogous to Kingpin, since Lex may be a criminal or mastermind, but Superman stories are very different from Red Batman, ahem, Daredevil stories. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

100% agree. The fact that a new volume of Superman debuts during Superman’s 85th anniversary is a swell anniversary commemorative and then some.

As of now, the only variant for #1 I’m planning to yoink is Andy Kubert’s:

Nick Dragotta’s variant is pretty neat, too:

Diggin’ it!

So far, it seems like Gunn’s Superman is going to be one who’s been on the job for a bit, but is still wet behind the ears in figuring out who he is and what he’s all about, as well.

I’m already excited for the eventual action figures, and I have no idea of what to expect in them yet.

2 Likes

Oh-ho! “Superman Unchained”, you say?

Do we finally have something we can each geek out about equally?

Say “yes” please, because Superman Unchained is easily my favorite New 52 Superman title.

2 Likes

Yes! Superman Unchained is really fun! And Jim Lee definitely gives us art that is full of energy and life (and Dustin Nguyen’s backups are great too!)

5 Likes

Superman Unchained is indeed the bee’s knees and quite full of Pep, Lindy!

4 Likes

What is it @DC89 said in her Flash movie thread? Squeeeeeee!

8 Likes

It’s a pretty cool time to be a DC fan - TWO Batmans in a movie, and Superman and Lois on the tvs!

6 Likes

It is.

This show… I love everything about it. Can’t wait for the new season to start.

6 Likes

leans ear outward

Do you hear that?

leans out further

I hear something coming, something…:superman:uper.

brings up his calendar

It will be here soon…5 days to be precise.

6 Likes

For my pal @moro a Don Newton Superman.

I don’t remember seeing Don Newton drawing Superman. It looks great to me!

5 Likes

Thank you :pray:. I’m always up for some Superman artwork.

I had to look up Don Newton (apologies, my DC knowledge definitely skews modern), but I agree that this looks great. Somehow it evokes what Henry Cavill would look like in a classic suit which, given the age of this drawing, says a lot about how good of a physical fit he was for the role.

Not trying to start a Superman actor debate.

7 Likes