The Superman Thread

I’ll give my quick thoughts on Action #1051:

• Big fan of Gene Yuen Yang and New Super-Man, so it’s great to see Kong Kenan back in action.
  • I like the new costumes and all the jackets.
  • Supes and Lois being into S&M is the most interesting development their marriage has had in years. Also makes a lot of sense considering some of the art Shuster did in the 50’s.
  • Liked when Metallo pointed out that Superman breaks things because, yeah, that’s what he does. Evil men build things, Superman breaks them.
  • Glad that the Metallo storyline is coming to a head because I’ve enjoyed that a lot these past few months.
  • Liked the “super-therapy” concept of the Power Girl backup. Not what I envisioned for Karen, but it should be interesting.
2 Likes

Hee-hee-hee. Lois definitely has her “Why don’t you put on…the suit?” moments, doesn’t she? :wink:

You know, as soon as they held the opening, I thought “The tower is either going to be attacked, or at least scoped-out for an attack in the future.” and sure enough, it was attacked. I was surprised how little effort it seemingly took to put the tower in a position to where it was going to collapse.

On another note, its great that Steelworks Tower is bigger than LexCorp Tower. Take that engineering-based middle finger, Lex! :grin:

I dug it, especially Karen’s new outfit. Do I want a figure of her in her new duds? Why, yes. Yes, I do.

Can. Not. Wait. Superman is my most-anticipated new ongoing of '23, and I am completely confident it will live up to the hype, and then some.

3 Likes

Did you check out Williamson’s interview? He gives out a mild spoiler that has me excited:

Apparently Lex will somehow hand over the Lexcorp reigns to Clark, and it will be known as Supercorp… or something.

In another interview (Word Balloon podcast, highly recommended), he mentions how Batman gets all the cool stuff, and how he wants to give Supes “new toys”, both in story and in real life (even threw in a reference to McFarlane).

Couple that with Jamal Campbell… this is going to be fun!

3 Likes

Well, that’s all fine and good, but I certainly hope he tosses in a Spin Master nod…and if he tosses in a Kenner nod, I will buy the man lunch at the WB commissary…assuming he’s in Burbank…which he probably isn’t.

Right? Forget Valentine’s Day, February 21st is the Day of Days in February for moi, this year.

3 Likes

Superman #1 with its trade dress:

I’m digging the use of the Superman v1 font (with some minute differences) for the Superman title.

Is it the 21st yet?

No?

Well, could you make it be the 21st, please?

Pretty please, with Kryptonian sugar on top? :superman_hv_3:

5 Likes

Based on what’s been said in Josh Williamson’s interviews, Jamal Campbell’s art, and just the mere fact that a book simply titled “Superman” is gonna be back on the shelves, I am very hyped for this. My only criticism of recent developments was how the secret identity was restored. I’m over that hump now, and ready to dig in. I’ll be purchasing the main Campbell covers for this series. Not sure if any of the variants look better to my eyes.

3 Likes

So what does everyone think of the Superman: Legacy news? I know I’m a bit late in posting this, but I think it’s a good time after a we’ve all had a chance to digest the news.

This article has expanded quotes from Gunn and Safran.

Some highlights (for me):

Another highlight quote from an article in Variety:

I think they’re saying all the right things, to be honest. I especially like the “big old galoot” description coupled with the fact that Gunn is inspired by (but not adapting) All-Star Superman. A long while back on these forums, think I’ve used the words “big lug” to describe Supes in that story, so I smiled when I read Mr. Gunn’s statement.

The kindness, idealism, not wanting to hurt anyone… these are all things fans have been asking to be emphasized in a Superman movie, so it’s comforting to see that Gunn has that same take. Not only that, but if I understand the above quotes correctly, Clark will stand out as a beacon in a morally gray world. I love that, and hope they pull it off. The last bit, about Superman being “for everyone” and a “four quadrant” film, is also comforting. I don’t know what the four quadrants are, but I agree that it needs to appeal to the widest possible audience.

If I ask for anything in addition to what’s been said so far:

• Make it exciting. The core of the story and who Superman’s makeup are important, but so is having a good time at the theater. I wants me some Superman action.
  • Lean classic with the suit, trunks & all. Between Smallville’s “no tights” rule, Cavill’s stylized take, and Superman & Lois’s modern (and awesome) suit, I’m ready to get back to basics. This is by no means a dealbreaker for me, just something I would like to see.
  • Give us a different villain for this movie. Luthor & Zod are fine, but I think we are overdue on the big screen for a different antagonist from Superman’s rogue gallery.

How about you, Super fans? What was your reaction to the news? Anything you’re hoping to see?

3 Likes

I personally agree completely. I’m excited to see Gunn’s take on Superman. The sincerity and lack of any kind of hesitation in affirming Superman’s virtues is exactly what I want from a Superman team.

I’ve seen some people complaining that this is a “safe” approach, and it shows there’s “no passion” - but I couldn’t get them to explain what an unsafe and passionate approach would be.

3 Likes

Well this came out of left field:

That Clark meeting our Jon is going to be… something.

4 Likes

Probably folks that can’t get over the Snyder hump. If that’s the case, best not to engage, imho.

2 Likes

I did ask some pointed questions to see if this was a Snyder or Cavill thing, and the response was more that they were tired of either Reeve pastiches or Reeve subversions, explicitly saying Snyder was a Reeve subversions, so I don’t think it was a Snyder fan. But I was just really confused. Like…what DO people want?

3 Likes

On the internet, people like to complain :joy:

Generally speaking though, & I think a good deal of folks share this opinion without being too vocal about it: I want a Superman movie that doesn’t go out of its way to be compared to the Donner movies. Superman Returns aped the original, and Snyder decided to completely deconstruct things. Whenever you go to extremes, you’re turning a lot of general movie goers off from the movie. What do STAS, Smallville, and Superman & Lois have in common, other than being Superman shows on the small screen? They’re successful takes on the character that are not afraid to be firmly their own thing, while not shying away from what we all know & love about Superman. Finding the center, the heart, is the challenge here, not living up to or deviating from what has already been done.

6 Likes

Agree completely about those three positive examples!

2 Likes

I have a question for hardcore Superman readers - in the past decade, what are some of the truly scariest Lex Luthor moments? I have this feeling that Lex has been sort of clowned on compared to a similar villain like Kingpin, but am not sure if that’s an incorrect impression.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if scary is the best phrase, but what he did to Metallo’s sister to get him to do what he wanted in the recent Action Comics issues was pretty despicable.

2 Likes

Which issue was that? I’ve read 1050 and 1051, but haven’t read much before that consistently. Thanks for the rec!

1 Like

It starts in 1047, there’s little segments at the beginning and end of 1047-1049 that are part of the build up to 1050. I really liked them. Metallo has always been one of my favorite Superman villains, and I like seeing the other villains interact with Lex.

2 Likes

He turned into an apex predator in Scott Snyder’s Justice League run. I haven’t see him much “scarier” than that.

1 Like

The Apex Lex stuff felt really dumb to me. But I feel the same way about his power armor. I want him to be scary because he’s smart, not because he’s wacky.

2 Likes

When he stole 40 cakes. That is 4 tens. That was terrifying.

4 Likes