The Superman Thread

I finally caught up with the end of Bendis’s run last week, so I thought I’d share some thoughts and ask for others’ opinions:

I think at the end of the day, Bendis just wasn’t for me. I was pretty excited after The Man of Steel and stayed that way for about a year’s worth of comics, but I grew less and less interested as I kept reading. My biggest dislike was dialogue. It didn’t feel natural to me. I don’t know if I’m the wrong age or from the wrong part of the country or what. Rogol Zaar didn’t do it for me. I wasn’t a fan of aging up Jon. I didn’t like the identity reveal. Still not sure what we got out of that for the character in-universe.

I know I listed a bunch of complaints there, but I wouldn’t say I hated Bendis’s run. I think he understands the character of Superman really well. I loved the Ivan Reis art. It just wasn’t the run for me. Hopefully it was for somebody else. What did the rest of you think?

4 Likes

It definitely had great moments, but I think they were balanced out by stuff I didn’t like or plot developments that went nowhere.

4 Likes

Oh boy. Another Bendis debate :slightly_smiling_face:.

Judging by these forums, I’m in a minority. I loved Bendis’ Superman.

I can understand the dialogue bit. Bendis frequently does this “back & forth” thing that can get old. Doesn’t bother me at all though :slightly_smiling_face:.
I thought Rogol Zaar was compelling in his singular hatred for Kryptonians, and that axe weapon of his that feeds on hate & anger. His backstory could have used some more fleshing out though.
Aging up Jon made the character more interesting to me. Keeping his good nature and values that his parents instilled in him throughout the ordeal he suffered was very telling of who he is and what kind of hero he can be.
The reveal was great, and I hope it continues to stick. What did it do? It put the “Truth” in “Truth & Justice”. Do I like the usual dual identities? Of course; I’m a Superman fan. Every shirt rip & S reveal gives me goosebumps :slightly_smiling_face:. But I feel this change has given Clark an opportunity to just be… him. He can deal with the world openly as himself, not a version of himself. I thought it was powerful.

Here are links to some of my previous thoughts (if you’re interested):

4 Likes

Thanks for the response! I appreciate your pro-Bendis perspective. While I won’t be picking up TPBs from Bendis like I have for other runs that I found more to my personal liking, I’m glad to hear others are fans.

To highlight my positive thoughts a bit more, I did really enjoy The Unity Saga. I enjoyed the Invisible Mafia and Red Cloud stuff quite a bit early on (even if I wasn’t crazy about the ending), and I liked seeing Supes working with Kara and Jon and Conner. Superman rang true to me overall. I guess it just wasn’t my kind of story.

3 Likes

Quite alright, my friend. I’m glad that at least Superman “rang” true for you; I think it’s a good way to describe Bendis’ run.

How about the current run by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Daniel Sampere? Enjoying that, I hope?

3 Likes

I’m too far behind to have an opinion yet. That stuff is just coming onto DCUI, so I haven’t read enough to really get a sense of Johnson’s work. I’ve heard good things!

4 Likes

can-i-has-it-please

3 Likes

Made my own Brainiacs Ship

I was even able to squeeze it onto my getting very crowded Superman shelf

7 Likes

I feel like Bendis fell into the same trap most every new Superman writer does of looking at Superman’s rogues gallery/ dismissing it/ deciding they need to create a deadly new threat. It felt like Rogol Zaar got a lot.of attention without ever really delving into wjo.he is, where he came from, and why he hates Kryptonians.

4 Likes

I especially agree with this. They implied that Kryptonians were somehow responsible for his race (or family’s?) demise, but it was never explained. To make things even murkier, he exhibited weakness to Kryptonite when they were near Krypton’s ruins. Like, what’s the story here Bendis? I tried asking that question in the Q&A with him, but he skipped it :cry:.

3 Likes

Man, your display looks so good.

Mind coming over and working on mine? I’ll pay you in miscellaneous parts for your projects :joy:

I joke, looks awesome. What you gonna do when you run outta room there? Another shelf lined up?

3 Likes

This one-

^ all these guys will get moved to a smaller shelf, and the next thing I’ll do will be a Legion of Doom setup similar to my Superman one.

It’s why every now and then you’ll see me post about getting a random villain, like Black Manta or Sinestro.

Not random at all- just getting a head start on my next set :skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

In my head canon, he left Krypton, found a happy life on a different planet, then had it ruined by General Zod. Zod would despise anyone trying to leave Krypton to make a better life for themselves elsewhere.

This would also give Zaar reason to despise Superman other than just that he’s Kryptonian. Clark is living the happy life that Zaar had taken away from him.

3 Likes

Fantastic! You definitely live up to your name, @TheTerrificToyman !

4 Likes

Who is a Superman writer you feel is underrated? There is always the Bendis debate, which I cannot say one way or another as I haven’t read it yet. I know, I know, I am behind on many books. While his series was coming out I was busy reading the books released in the year 2000.

I know @Vroom and I have had this discussion or something very similar. I will throw Busiek and Rucka into the hat as my first nominees.

5 Likes

Underrated?

I’m gonna go with Greg Pak. He did some great work on Superman in the New 52. I forget if it was on Action or Superman. The Superman: Doomed crossover is one of my favorite Supes stories, but I’m pretty sure it involved other writers (been a looong time; excuse my memory).

5 Likes

Umm, I think he did Action. You are correct though! He definitely deserves to be mentioned.

3 Likes

I agree with Greg Pak as an excellent choice. He might be the best Lana Lang writer ever.

Roger Stern’s Action Comics was great back in the early triangle era.

Mark Millar’s twenty issues on Superman Adventures are among the best ever.

I’ll always have a good word for the Dynamic Superman Writing Duo of the 1970s Elliot S! Maggin and Cary Bates.

Add his recent work on Batman/ Superman to his Superman work and Superman vs The Klan, and Gene Luen Yang is moving up my Superman writer list.

6 Likes

Gene Luen Yang’s work on Superman vs The Klan skyrocketed him to writer to pay attention to for me.

3 Likes

Great call on Yang, though the accolades make him “rated” in my book. Too bad Batman-Superman was cancelled. Was one of the more creative comics being put out by DC, with amazing art by Ivan Reis.

3 Likes